Author Topic: Simple Q&A #17 -- the "your mama's so ___ ... " edition  (Read 140240 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Simple Q&A #17 -- the "your mama's so ___ ... " edition
« Reply #800 on: September 29, 2010, 01:06:20 AM »
Q296: The Sharn monster entry says that with Combat Reflexes (@20 Dex), Sharns can make fifteen attacks of opportunity a turn, but no more than 5 at a time. How does this work?

+5 dex bonus.  3 minds = 3 times normal attacks of opportunity.

Remember that to find the stat mods on each ability score are equal to (even stat-10) or (odd stat-11).  So put an 18 into intelligence or something.

For your other class, I'd recommend not wizard casting.  You're up to your eyeballs in casting as is.  For lulz, I'd recommend spellthief (infinite uses of your SLA spell things).  I'd recommend Master of the Unseen hand but that's because of personal preference more than anything else.

Honestly, it's impossible to screw up a sharn.
Q298: Can you screw up a sharn by putting Vigilante levels on it?

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #801 on: September 29, 2010, 01:06:43 AM »
Honestly, it's impossible to screw up a sharn.
Unless you try really hard.

Also, I recommend commoner, because a bloodly peasant being among the greatest who ever lived would be hilarious.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #802 on: September 29, 2010, 01:09:09 AM »
A298: No.  The sharn is so awesome that it forces the typoed version of the vigilante's spells/day to be used.  

And seriously, sharns can thrive in 0 point buy.  In fact... that should be a board challenge.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #803 on: September 29, 2010, 01:10:53 AM »
A298: No.  The sharn is so awesome that it forces the typoed version of the vigilante's spells/day to be used.  

And seriously, sharns can thrive in 0 point buy.  In fact... that should be a board challenge.
GOGOGO!!!  :lol
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

genuine

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #804 on: September 29, 2010, 01:35:12 AM »
Q291: Can a breath attack be used while in a grapple?
Shall we see while I flame you for jacking Q291?

Seriously, there's no reason it can't.  You probably won't be able to target the creature you're grappling, though, since you're both in the same space and the breath weapon has to emanate from your space.

I'm gonna blame a poor internet connection. :) /Fixing.

Another Grappling question(s):
Q293,4:
Lets say I've got a character with a +6 BAB and two natural attacks that may be made as secondary attacks. This means that a full attack routine would go: +6 (first main attack), +1 (second main attack), +1 (natural attack A), +1 (natural attack B). (Right? This is assuming that the creature doesn't have multiattack or similar).

Now, lets say instead the character is trying to initiate a grapple, and can do so with his natural attacks as well. Lets also say that his first attack was successful at initiating the grapple, doing the unarmed damage in the process. Is his turn over, or may he do something with the three remaining attacks? If he can use the remaining attacks, can he use them to make further grapple checks (to either do additional unarmed damage, or to pin, etc.)? In other words, are the three attacks wasted, or may he use them as normal for attacking in a grapple (and only attacking in a grapple), or may he potentially achieve a pin against his opponent with a single round? (i.e. first attack -> grapple attempt -> initiate grapple & unarmed damage -> second attack -> Grapple check -> pin).

Second question, this time regarding the feat/power Improved Grab. Improved Grab states that a creature may make a free grapple attempt after hitting with a natural weapon. Does this have the potential of doing double damage? If he hits with a bite attack (doing 1d6 damage), then gets his free grapple attempt, would a successful grapple attempt deal the same unarmed (natural) damage as normal on a successful grapple?
Alright, here we go:
That attack sequence is correct, as long as it doesn't involve Claws or other hand attacks when wielding a weapon. Otherwise, drop one natural attack.

The grapple can have two attempts made each round: one at the +6, one at the +1. Natural attack numbers are irrelevant.

Yes, you could double damage if you succeeded on that grapple attempt.

Is that true if the natural attacks explicitly allow grappling attacks (i.e. bite or tentacles)? Does it make a difference if it just allows grappling or if it has improved grab?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #805 on: September 29, 2010, 02:16:12 AM »
Have to haveimproved grab to deal damage twice.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #806 on: September 29, 2010, 02:37:46 AM »
q 299. where is the polymorphing handbook?

q 300a. what is the earliest level a planar shepard can wildshape into something like a balor.
 q300b. what are some suggested planes/creatures for a druid5/planarshepard7 to wildshape into. looking for a melee combatant... heavy hitter etc...
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

bearofsmiting

• Email
« Reply #807 on: September 29, 2010, 02:54:16 AM »
Q301: Wasn't there a variant gnome somewhere that got a bonus feat?

P.S. My apologies to The Mad Linguist for a misappropriation of the word "intensive."
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #808 on: September 29, 2010, 03:48:50 AM »
Q301: Wasn't there a variant gnome somewhere that got a bonus feat?

P.S. My apologies to The Mad Linguist for a misappropriation of the word "intensive."
A 301: I remember the Strongheart Halfling which gets a free bonus feat which can be used for anything, like Humans. They are from the "Faerun Campaign Setting" book.

I do not remember a gnome subrace which gets a bonus feat which can be used for anything. There is probably a gnome subrace which gets a specific bonus feat.

Has your question been answered?
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Zebu

« Reply #809 on: September 29, 2010, 04:26:29 AM »
Q302. I'm making an arcane spellcaster who is also a ghost.  Should I make him a Wizard (for the insane flexibility) or a Sorcerer (for the high Charisma synergy with AC, ghost abilities, etc)?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #810 on: September 29, 2010, 04:30:43 AM »
Q302. I'm making an arcane spellcaster who is also a ghost.  Should I make him a Wizard (for the insane flexibility) or a Sorcerer (for the high Charisma synergy with AC, ghost abilities, etc)?
My opinion, sorcerer.  That way you can boost your cha into the stratosphere without issue (magic-blooded template, unseelie fey if you can swing another type change), plus your ghost abilities will be cooler. 

Overall though, unless you're able to use the savage progression (link in sig) in combination with LA buyoff, you're going to have to select which of the four levels of the progression you're going to leave it at.
Planetouched Handbook

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #811 on: September 29, 2010, 05:52:34 AM »
Q303 So the medium level (about 10) PCs are trapped in a world of constant AMF. Barring cheesy ways of somehow using Spells, Spell-like abilities, or Supernatural abilities... how do you:
a) Defeat incorporeal undead [all enemies are immune to the AMF effect]
b) Heal yourself quickly

I don't want to include Fast Healing (Ex), and this is for characters common DnD races. Does some sort of alchemy help in this situation?

(If this isn't a simple question, maybe I should make a thread for it...)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 06:00:36 AM by Epimetheus »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #812 on: September 29, 2010, 05:54:58 AM »
Incorporeal undead "wink out" in an AMF.  You have no worries.
Planetouched Handbook

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #813 on: September 29, 2010, 06:00:10 AM »
Forgot to mention: Enemies are immune to the AMF effect. (Awesome trap! For the DM...)

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #814 on: September 29, 2010, 06:15:55 AM »
A 303: For dealing with incorporeality, check out alchemical weapon capsules on page 121 of Complete Adventurer.  Ghostblight capsules provide 3 rounds of ghost touch as a swift action for 100 gp each. 

I don't know of any extraordinary items that restore hit points.  With complete bed rest and someone successfully making the DC 15 heal check to provide long-term care, a 10th level character heals 40 hit points per day. 

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #815 on: September 29, 2010, 06:24:14 AM »
Holy water.  Loads and loads of holy water.

Also: from ghostwalk (note: technically the ghosts ghostwalk refers to are entirely different, non-undead creatures.  Your DM is being a dick, though, so I'm going to ignore that.)

Soul Venom: Harmless to living creatures, but acts as Large monstrous scorpion venom (injury DC 18, 1d6 Str/1d6 Str) against manifested ghosts.  200 gp
Cretchwater Oil: Against living creatures, acts as Small monstrous centipede poison (injury DC 11, 1d2 Dex/1d2 Dex), but against ghosts, it functions as greenblood oil (injury DC 13, 1 Con, 1d2 Con).  150 gp
Dark Ectoplasm: Poison, affects only ghosts (injury DC 18, 1d6 Cha/1d6 Cha). 700 gp
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 06:31:05 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

Waazraath

« Reply #816 on: September 29, 2010, 06:55:17 AM »
q286: following the question on quickened spell as free/swift action: is there a list somewhere that states which feats that were free actions became swift actions? Something like Divine Might for example, would that stay 'free action' or did it became 'swift action' (that also didn't exist when CW came out, iirc).

BUMP - anybody?

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #817 on: September 29, 2010, 07:15:02 AM »
As far as I know, feather fall, quicken spell, and quicken spell-like ability were the only things retroactively changed into swift or immediate actions.  (Feather fall and quicken spell are cited in the swift and immediate action rules, and quicken spell-like ability was reprinted in Monster Manual IV.) 

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #818 on: September 29, 2010, 09:35:53 AM »
Q 303: Do items placed in extra dimensional holding spaces go on hold for purposes of spell duration?  The end goal is Smiting Spell on a bunch of Fire Shuriken, and then whip them around with TK when needed for lots of carnage.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #819 on: September 29, 2010, 09:56:16 AM »
Q 303: Do items placed in extra dimensional holding spaces go on hold for purposes of spell duration?  The end goal is Smiting Spell on a bunch of Fire Shuriken, and then whip them around with TK when needed for lots of carnage.
A 303

I don't think so. Put them in a batch of Quintessence instead, or does that break LoE?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation