Author Topic: Simple Q&A #17 -- the "your mama's so ___ ... " edition  (Read 140195 times)

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Simple Q&A #17 -- the "your mama's so ___ ... " edition
« Reply #780 on: September 28, 2010, 03:12:21 PM »
Q288  On the topic of Simulacrum, if one creates a copy of an efreet, would the "" clause stop it from using the Wish ability?

I'm assuming it doesn't since the ability isn't based on HD. 

Well you could even use it to create a deity,as salient abilities are not based on hit dice.....

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #781 on: September 28, 2010, 06:34:56 PM »
Q289: Improved Binding for Binders from Tome of Magic. This allows you to treat your effective Binder level as two higher than it is for the purposes of determining which Vestiges you can Bind. Does this also allow you to Bind extra Vestiges early? Say a level three Binder with Improved Binding, it could Bind 3rd level Vestiges as a 5th level Binder... but can it also Bind two as a fifth level Binder : /?

Recently woke up, so if that's hard to read sorry  :lmao

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #782 on: September 28, 2010, 07:11:13 PM »
Q289: Improved Binding for Binders from Tome of Magic. This allows you to treat your effective Binder level as two higher than it is for the purposes of determining which Vestiges you can Bind. Does this also allow you to Bind extra Vestiges early? Say a level three Binder with Improved Binding, it could Bind 3rd level Vestiges as a 5th level Binder... but can it also Bind two as a fifth level Binder : /?

iirc, the feat itself says you don't get additional binds. I may be wrong.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #783 on: September 28, 2010, 07:30:03 PM »

Not explicitly, but the reading of
This benefit does not increase your binder level in any
other circumstance.
added to
for the purpose of determining the level of vestige you can bind

sadly shuts down the possibility of early multi-vestige binding.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #784 on: September 28, 2010, 07:36:57 PM »

Not explicitly, but the reading of
This benefit does not increase your binder level in any
other circumstance.
added to
for the purpose of determining the level of vestige you can bind

sadly shuts down the possibility of early multi-vestige binding.

Thanks, would have been nice if it was possible.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #785 on: September 28, 2010, 09:02:36 PM »
Q 290: Other than ruin delver's fortune, what spells add Cha to saves?  And specifically, to all three saves?
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #786 on: September 28, 2010, 09:06:35 PM »
Q 290: Other than ruin delver's fortune, what spells add Cha to saves?  And specifically, to all three saves?
Vision of gloy adds it to a save, singular.  But it's low level, divination, and can be used on someone else.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #787 on: September 28, 2010, 09:07:47 PM »
Vision of glory adds it to a save, singular.  But it's low level, divination, and can be used on someone else.

Can it be stacked?
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #788 on: September 28, 2010, 09:10:42 PM »
Well, it's a morale bonus.  Only applies to a single saving throw in the next minute/CL? I think
Planetouched Handbook

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #789 on: September 28, 2010, 10:53:09 PM »
Q291 Do you think that an Archivist can learn Wu jen spell via  Wu jen>Recaster>Wizard>Hexer>Archivist?
Or there is some reason this does not work?(besides DM fiat)

genuine

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #790 on: September 28, 2010, 10:57:59 PM »
Q292: Can a breath attack be used while in a grapple?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 12:14:32 AM by genuine »

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #791 on: September 28, 2010, 11:31:44 PM »
Q291 Do you think that an Archivist can learn Wu jen spell via  Wu jen>Recaster>Wizard>Hexer>Archivist?
Or there is some reason this does not work?(besides DM fiat)
A291: I'm inclined to say no, Hexer takes spells from the standard sor/wis spell list, not from another character's spell list, even if they happen to be a Wizard.

Q291: Can a breath attack be used while in a grapple?
Shall we see while I flame you for jacking Q291?

Seriously, there's no reason it can't.  You probably won't be able to target the creature you're grappling, though, since you're both in the same space and the breath weapon has to emanate from your space.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 11:40:51 PM by X-Codes »

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #792 on: September 28, 2010, 11:36:23 PM »

Seriously, there's no reason it can't.  You probably won't be able to target the creature you're grappling, though, since you're both in the same space and the breath weapon has to emanate from your space.

I remember reading that a dragon can breathe in to his own space...
I could be wrong though so lets see if I can locate where I saw it....

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #793 on: September 28, 2010, 11:43:12 PM »
I found it....
Draconomicon page 62,it says "that there is nothing preventing a dragon from targeting creatures in its own space with its breath weapon -after crushing them for example"

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #794 on: September 28, 2010, 11:45:07 PM »
I found it....
Draconomicon page 62,it says "that there is nothing preventing a dragon from targeting creatures in its own space with its breath weapon -after crushing them for example"
Ok, in that case it's a simple yes.

genuine

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #795 on: September 29, 2010, 12:13:46 AM »

Seriously, there's no reason it can't.  You probably won't be able to target the creature you're grappling, though, since you're both in the same space and the breath weapon has to emanate from your space.

I'm gonna blame a poor internet connection. :) /Fixing.

Another Grappling question(s):
Q293,4:
Lets say I've got a character with a +6 BAB and two natural attacks that may be made as secondary attacks. This means that a full attack routine would go: +6 (first main attack), +1 (second main attack), +1 (natural attack A), +1 (natural attack B). (Right? This is assuming that the creature doesn't have multiattack or similar).

Now, lets say instead the character is trying to initiate a grapple, and can do so with his natural attacks as well. Lets also say that his first attack was successful at initiating the grapple, doing the unarmed damage in the process. Is his turn over, or may he do something with the three remaining attacks? If he can use the remaining attacks, can he use them to make further grapple checks (to either do additional unarmed damage, or to pin, etc.)? In other words, are the three attacks wasted, or may he use them as normal for attacking in a grapple (and only attacking in a grapple), or may he potentially achieve a pin against his opponent with a single round? (i.e. first attack -> grapple attempt -> initiate grapple & unarmed damage -> second attack -> Grapple check -> pin).

Second question, this time regarding the feat/power Improved Grab. Improved Grab states that a creature may make a free grapple attempt after hitting with a natural weapon. Does this have the potential of doing double damage? If he hits with a bite attack (doing 1d6 damage), then gets his free grapple attempt, would a successful grapple attempt deal the same unarmed (natural) damage as normal on a successful grapple?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #796 on: September 29, 2010, 12:47:23 AM »

Seriously, there's no reason it can't.  You probably won't be able to target the creature you're grappling, though, since you're both in the same space and the breath weapon has to emanate from your space.

I'm gonna blame a poor internet connection. :) /Fixing.

Another Grappling question(s):
Q293,4:
Lets say I've got a character with a +6 BAB and two natural attacks that may be made as secondary attacks. This means that a full attack routine would go: +6 (first main attack), +1 (second main attack), +1 (natural attack A), +1 (natural attack B). (Right? This is assuming that the creature doesn't have multiattack or similar).

Now, lets say instead the character is trying to initiate a grapple, and can do so with his natural attacks as well. Lets also say that his first attack was successful at initiating the grapple, doing the unarmed damage in the process. Is his turn over, or may he do something with the three remaining attacks? If he can use the remaining attacks, can he use them to make further grapple checks (to either do additional unarmed damage, or to pin, etc.)? In other words, are the three attacks wasted, or may he use them as normal for attacking in a grapple (and only attacking in a grapple), or may he potentially achieve a pin against his opponent with a single round? (i.e. first attack -> grapple attempt -> initiate grapple & unarmed damage -> second attack -> Grapple check -> pin).

Second question, this time regarding the feat/power Improved Grab. Improved Grab states that a creature may make a free grapple attempt after hitting with a natural weapon. Does this have the potential of doing double damage? If he hits with a bite attack (doing 1d6 damage), then gets his free grapple attempt, would a successful grapple attempt deal the same unarmed (natural) damage as normal on a successful grapple?
Alright, here we go:
That attack sequence is correct, as long as it doesn't involve Claws or other hand attacks when wielding a weapon. Otherwise, drop one natural attack.

The grapple can have two attempts made each round: one at the +6, one at the +1. Natural attack numbers are irrelevant.

Yes, you could double damage if you succeeded on that grapple attempt.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #797 on: September 29, 2010, 12:53:31 AM »
Q296: The Sharn monster entry says that with Combat Reflexes (@20 Dex), Sharns can make fifteen attacks of opportunity a turn, but no more than 5 at a time. How does this work?

Q297:So yeah, I'm a lv15 gestalt Sharn, Mystic Theruge on the racial side. Would it be more beneficial to take Wizard casting (MAD), Bard Casting (Weaker), or something to enhance my attacks of opportunity?

Nevermind, remembered that Sublime Chord is fun  :lol
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 12:59:16 AM by Talore »
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #798 on: September 29, 2010, 12:54:57 AM »
Q297:So yeah, I'm a lv15 gestalt Sharn, Mystic Theruge on the racial side. Would it be more beneficial to take Wizard casting (MAD), Bard Casting (Weaker), or something to enhance my attacks of opportunity?
You're a Sharn.  I don't think you could screw it up if you tried.  Just go with whatever looks fun.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #799 on: September 29, 2010, 12:58:55 AM »
Q296: The Sharn monster entry says that with Combat Reflexes (@20 Dex), Sharns can make fifteen attacks of opportunity a turn, but no more than 5 at a time. How does this work?

+5 dex bonus.  3 minds = 3 times normal attacks of opportunity.

Remember that to find the stat mods on each ability score are equal to (even stat-10) or (odd stat-11).  So put an 18 into intelligence or something.

For your other class, I'd recommend not wizard casting.  You're up to your eyeballs in casting as is.  For lulz, I'd recommend spellthief (infinite uses of your SLA spell things).  I'd recommend Master of the Unseen hand but that's because of personal preference more than anything else.

Honestly, it's impossible to screw up a sharn.
Planetouched Handbook