Author Topic: Simple Q&A #17 -- the "your mama's so ___ ... " edition  (Read 140196 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Simple Q&A #17 -- the "your mama's so ___ ... " edition
« Reply #680 on: September 26, 2010, 09:45:56 PM »
Is there a feat that increases the uses per-day of SLA's?

If so, what is the name and source of the feat?
There's also a yaun-ti only feat from dragon called "Blessing of Merrshaulk" which gives +2 to DCs and +1 use/day for all SLAs.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #681 on: September 26, 2010, 10:27:51 PM »
Q270: How does readying actions work with Sharns? (3 standard actions + 1 move action + 1 swift action a turn, Full-round takes space of 2 standard and a move) Could I move, take two standard actions, then use the remaining one to ready an action? Would I then get any additional actions when my readied one goes off?
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #682 on: September 26, 2010, 10:52:14 PM »
Q271:Do you think there is a problem with giving Epic Spellcasting as a bonus feat to everyone who qualifies for it?

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #683 on: September 26, 2010, 11:06:38 PM »
Q271:Do you think there is a problem with giving Epic Spellcasting as a bonus feat to everyone who qualifies for it?

No. They'd take it anyways.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #684 on: September 26, 2010, 11:07:17 PM »

A 271: If your group already accepts Epic Spellcasting, I see no problem. Giving it as a bonus feat just makes the game crazy faster; it doesn't make it any crazier.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #685 on: September 26, 2010, 11:16:11 PM »
Maybe I should give non-casters one bonus feat too?

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
« Reply #686 on: September 26, 2010, 11:18:56 PM »
Q272 Does anyone have the link or remember the components of that build that could steal its own pants without noticing?
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #687 on: September 26, 2010, 11:19:27 PM »
Good idea, considering epic magic is one of the best feats in existence.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #688 on: September 26, 2010, 11:38:36 PM »
Only beaten by Chosen of Tem-Et-Nu.

I'd actually give non-casters the bonus feat but make casters pay for Epic Spellcasting. No reason to make things easier for them, after all.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #689 on: September 26, 2010, 11:51:30 PM »
Q272 Does anyone have the link or remember the components of that build that could steal its own pants without noticing?
The only build I ended up seeing (which came from my own request to see if it was possible pre-epic) involved the Kender race and Item Familiar.  Past that, I don't remember everything that was used.  Yes, Kender is probably necessary for that +2 racial bonus.  Reliably hitting a DC120 takes a lot of work, regardless of what it's in (Jump takes significantly less, though).

One that works (Kender not exactly necessary) is Factotum 20 with Item Familiar and a +30 competence bonus item for Sleight of Hand.  Assuming 34 Int (18 base, +5 levels, +5 inherent, +6 enhancement), you can get +110 once per day before adding feats or Dexterity (or other bonuses) (23 ranks in Sleight of Hand, at least 5 in Bluff are necessary).  That's not garunteed, but a dedicated thief via sleight of hand would have a good Dex anyway, likely bringing another +6 from there and there are a couple of minor bonuses that can also factor in (Luckstone).  The problem is that this is 1/day that he can do this, but it's what I can think of.  The Kender build could do it all day long.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 12:00:25 AM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #690 on: September 26, 2010, 11:57:43 PM »

I'd actually give non-casters the bonus feat but make casters pay for Epic Spellcasting. No reason to make things easier for them, after all.

Actually the reason that I want to do this is to give the feat to spellcasting Npcs and monsters.....

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #691 on: September 27, 2010, 12:02:13 AM »
Let's see.
Item familiar +23, ranks +23, dex+4, guidance of the avatar +20 competence, moment of prescience +25 insight, illiterate +1, masterwork tool +2 circumstance, aid another (familiar) +2, surge of fortune for natural 20... should cover it.
Planetouched Handbook

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #692 on: September 27, 2010, 02:32:52 AM »

Actually the reason that I want to do this is to give the feat to spellcasting Npcs and monsters.....
Well, you can always slap on a bonus feat for an NPC. Epic Spellcasting is ritual casting in a lot of cases anyway, so you don't even need to waste the slot--handwave it. Or tack on a flaw.

TangoZilla

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #693 on: September 27, 2010, 02:55:42 AM »
Q273

How does the Adaptive Style [ToB28] function if you have two initiator classes? Does it automatically effect both sets of readied maneuvers, or only one classes readied maneuvers per full-round action spent?

bearofsmiting

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #694 on: September 27, 2010, 03:44:59 AM »
Q274: I know you can't make an item if the xp cost causes you to lose a level, but can you cast a spell with an xp cost that would cause you to lose a level or would the spell be at that time uncastable? Any help is appreciated, but I would prefer a reference to the srd if possible.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #695 on: September 27, 2010, 03:56:37 AM »
Q273

How does the Adaptive Style [ToB28] function if you have two initiator classes? Does it automatically effect both sets of readied maneuvers, or only one classes readied maneuvers per full-round action spent?
A 273: It refreshes sets of maneuvers from all classes, not just one at a time. That's how I interpret it.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #696 on: September 27, 2010, 03:59:12 AM »
Q274: I know you can't make an item if the xp cost causes you to lose a level, but can you cast a spell with an xp cost that would cause you to lose a level or would the spell be at that time uncastable? Any help is appreciated, but I would prefer a reference to the srd if possible.
A 274: No, you cannot.

Quoted from PHB section on XP component of spells:
"
XP Cost (XP): Some powerful spells (such as wish, commune, and
miracle) entail an experience point cost to you. No spell, not even
restoration, can restore the XP lost in this manner. You cannot spend
so much XP that you lose a level, so you cannot cast the spell unless
you have enough XP to spare.

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #697 on: September 27, 2010, 03:59:59 AM »
Q275. In anyspell description it says you prepare the spell 'in your 3rd level domain spell slot'. This works just fine&logical if you can only cast anyspell as a domain spell: you prepare it in your domain spell slot, you cast it, and in the same slot you prepare the new arcane spell. However, what happens if you get the ability to cast anyspell on your normal spell slots (Domain Spontaneity on Spell domain, cleric ACF etc.). By my understanding of RAW, you cast anyspell, and you prepare the spell on your 3rd level domain slot, even if there is something there, or the spell there has already been cast. Is that correct? Or has it been clarified in another way? Also, does this mean an archivist can't use anyspell because he has no domain slots?

Q276. Are arcane spells prepared with anyspell still considered arcane? More specifically: do they have ASF and do they allow you to qualify for classes that require ability to cast arcane spells?

Answers greatly appreciated.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #698 on: September 27, 2010, 04:09:43 AM »
You can only use the spells prepared via anyspell in your domain slots.  You might be able to argue that you could prepare a different spell in that domain slot, and then overwrite it using anyspell if you haven't cast it yet.
Planetouched Handbook

bearofsmiting

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #699 on: September 27, 2010, 05:07:16 AM »
Q277: Unusually question here. Premise: I cast Awaken Construct on a 1 HD effigy, manifest True Mind Switch on it, and then play that as a character. My class HD erase pre-existing effigy HD, for all intensive purposes, via True Mind Switch, but does that mean if I later improve my effigy that those HD also wouldn't stack with my class HD? We are admittedly in murky waters here, because WotC really did there best to prevent playing a construct altogether, but nonetheless one can make interpretations from various sources. SRD references are best, but it is worth noting that I have a lenient DM, so a good argument is probably a successful argument.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 05:11:09 AM by bearofsmiting »
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!