Author Topic: Simple Q&A #17 -- the "your mama's so ___ ... " edition  (Read 140210 times)

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Re: Simple Q&A #17 -- the "your mama's so ___ ... " edition
« Reply #640 on: September 25, 2010, 07:01:30 PM »
Q257: besides extra turning, nightsticks, and raising charisma, what are some ways to gain extra turning attempts ?
The Reliquary Holy Symbol (sp?) and I think the Sacred armor/shield  property are the only two that come to mind. (I'm not 100% sure. I think at least one of them only gives a bonus to turning checks or something)
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #641 on: September 25, 2010, 07:03:25 PM »
There's also a holy sword somewhere which gives you a couple of attempts/day.

Take the rebuke vermic cleric ACF then gain turning via knight of the raven/sacred exorcist.  Toss on prestige pally with the destroy undead ACF, or bone knight.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #642 on: September 25, 2010, 08:34:32 PM »
Q257: besides extra turning, nightsticks, and raising charisma, what are some ways to gain extra turning attempts ?
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #643 on: September 25, 2010, 08:48:01 PM »
Of course, elemental turn attempts don't work to fuel most feats, since they typically specify "turn undead".
Planetouched Handbook

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #644 on: September 25, 2010, 09:18:42 PM »
Of course, elemental turn attempts don't work to fuel most feats, since they typically specify "turn undead".

On the other hand, trade Turn Undead for Turn Dragons (Dragon Magic I think) or Turn Vermin (From some Drow book, silly Drow) and then pick up Turn Undead from another source again.  I think there's something from Ravenloft that gives it to you, and maybe something else.  Both Dragons and Vermin say specifically that they can power divine feats and the like as if they were Turn Undead if that's the sort of thing you're looking for.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #645 on: September 25, 2010, 11:57:14 PM »
Ehh, Magical Affinity still works.  Prereqs are int 13+; and Raised in Cosdol or Pel Brolenon; or Gray Elf, High Elf, Rock Gnome.  You know and can cast a cantrip once per day for each point of intelligence bonus.  That is, with int 14 you can pick light and detect magic and cast each of them once/day, but not pick light twice.

Where's that from? I found Magical Training.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #646 on: September 26, 2010, 12:04:10 AM »
Kingdoms of Kalamar: Player's guide.  Most of the stuff is pretty good, though there are a few rough bits involving different assumptions during 3.0
Planetouched Handbook

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #647 on: September 26, 2010, 12:31:09 AM »
Kingdoms of Kalamar: Player's guide.  Most of the stuff is pretty good, though there are a few rough bits involving different assumptions during 3.0

Unless I'm missing something seems worse than Magical Training?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #648 on: September 26, 2010, 12:55:18 AM »
High int bonus makes it better, no regional restriction for a few races OR regional restriction but no race restriction.

Also no list restrictions.
Planetouched Handbook

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #649 on: September 26, 2010, 02:09:53 AM »
Q258: What are some good 0 level and 1st level spells without Somatic components?  Cleric in armor might wind up with a Wizard level and need to know what's actually castable in armor.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #650 on: September 26, 2010, 02:18:36 AM »
A258
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19863658/No_Somatic_Component_Spell_List

We really should port that over here (if it hasn't been done already) so as to ensure that it's never eaten by WotC's grues.

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #651 on: September 26, 2010, 02:47:08 AM »
A256
yes in D20 Modern .... look here:

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/modern/smack/weapons.html

Chain saw 3d6(20/x2) Slashing - Large 10 lb. 
That's what I wondered. Hmm. Might have to make it a minor artifact with a couple of extra abilities.

I'm always a little irritated with the way chainsaws are depicted - like they're some kind of mega-weapon. I understand the rule of cool, but I've spent a lot of time running a chainsaw, and I can tell you that the chains break at the drop of a hat. Nick a rock, pinched in a trunk, find an old nail in a tree.... they're really quite a shitty excuse for a weapon. Every time I see a chainsaw vs sword battle, i just shake my head at the ignorance.

Not to rain on your parade or anything.
Do you imagine that a chainsaw that happened to be designed for the problems a battle presents could, y'know, not suck?
*cough* Adamantine Chainsaw *cough*
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #652 on: September 26, 2010, 02:54:10 AM »
A256
yes in D20 Modern .... look here:

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/modern/smack/weapons.html

Chain saw 3d6(20/x2) Slashing - Large 10 lb. 
That's what I wondered. Hmm. Might have to make it a minor artifact with a couple of extra abilities.

I'm always a little irritated with the way chainsaws are depicted - like they're some kind of mega-weapon. I understand the rule of cool, but I've spent a lot of time running a chainsaw, and I can tell you that the chains break at the drop of a hat. Nick a rock, pinched in a trunk, find an old nail in a tree.... they're really quite a shitty excuse for a weapon. Every time I see a chainsaw vs sword battle, i just shake my head at the ignorance.

Not to rain on your parade or anything.
Do you imagine that a chainsaw that happened to be designed for the problems a battle presents could, y'know, not suck?
*cough* Adamantine Chainsaw *cough*
I might end up having it made that way. Maybe even magical. I want to make a Leatherface character.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #653 on: September 26, 2010, 03:18:26 AM »
Actual quote from a man who tried to fight off a mountain lion with a chainsaw: "I might as well have hit it with a hockey stick."

It makes sense.  A chainsaw is designed to function by being held against an object.  What living creature is going to hold still and let you do that?  A bladed weapon, on the other hand, can produce a deep wound quickly by utilizing inertia.  
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 03:21:46 AM by Maat_Mons »

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #654 on: September 26, 2010, 08:33:31 AM »
Q259: I remember seeing at Wotc forums an epic spell which would give you pernamently all the qualties of divine rank 0....
Does anyone have it still or is it lost forever and so I would have to make my own.....

Sjappo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Cheers
    • Email
« Reply #655 on: September 26, 2010, 11:07:59 AM »
Q260 Is there any equipment that gives Pounce (or equivalent)? I dunno, boorts of Pouncing or some such?

Zym

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #656 on: September 26, 2010, 11:58:09 AM »
Q261: How do you caculate Spellcaster levels from the Southern Magician Feat and would Warlock qualify for said caculation?

Benefit: Once per day per two spellcaster levels, you can cast a divine spell as an arcane spell, or vice versa. This enables you to bypass arcane spell failure due to armor, or gain additional benefit from spell that functions differently for a divine caster instead of an arcane caster, such as true seeing or magic weapon.

So if I was a Warlock 5/Cleric 5 would that be 4 uses a day or 5?

If I was a Wiz 2/Clr 2/Brd 2/Beguiler 2 would that be 4 uses a day?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:02:25 PM by Zym »

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #657 on: September 26, 2010, 12:09:26 PM »
Q260 Is there any equipment that gives Pounce (or equivalent)? I dunno, boorts of Pouncing or some such?

Make an item of Permanent Lion's Charge?

Waazraath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #658 on: September 26, 2010, 12:29:49 PM »
q262: is there a still a list available of good LA's? (+0 - +2). The surrealdex at the wizards forum links to several, but they are all dead  :(

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #659 on: September 26, 2010, 12:56:20 PM »
q262: is there a still a list available of good LA's? (+0 - +2). The surrealdex at the wizards forum links to several, but they are all dead  :(
Let me recommend my list of all races +1 and +2, with links to various other "races" threads: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4886.0