Author Topic: Simple Q&A #17 -- the "your mama's so ___ ... " edition  (Read 140208 times)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Simple Q&A #17 -- the "your mama's so ___ ... " edition
« Reply #300 on: September 19, 2010, 07:00:37 AM »
Q 74: What was that ability that basically allowed you to, once a round, double jump?
A 74

You're probably thinking of the Sudden Leap maneuver (ToB). The reasoning is that it just lets you make a Jump check to move without saying anything about the direction or even where you have to be (so theoretically, you could activate it in midair). That's the only ability that comes to mind.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #301 on: September 19, 2010, 08:20:07 AM »
Q77: Could someone use the Cool Head, Freerunner, Sure Hand and Sweet Talker feats and then later retrain the feat, but keep the knowledge of the skill trick?

Could a Chameleon use his floating feat to learn as many skill tricks as they can, at no skill point cost?

The feats says that the characters learn the tricks, not that it gives them access to them. It's not game breaking, but 20 skill points on a skill starved build could help.
A77: Not likely.  Even if it worked by RAW (which I don't think it does, although it's not exactly clear-cut), you can expect most DMs to shoot it down.
Q79
Which feat allows a Cleric to use Int in place of Wis for spellcasting Stat and what is it's source?
A79: AFAIK no such feat exists.  I know there's a Monk feat that changes Monk abilities to work off Int (2, actually) and a Paladin feat that changes Paladin abilities to work off Wis.  There's also the Archivist, which is split Int/Wis casting and primarily casts from the Cleric list, although that's a distinct class, not a feat.
q80. whats the trick with knowledge devotion to gain a insight bonus to atk/dmg. can someone break it down for me how it works?
A80: At any point you spend a free action to make a knowledge check regarding the monster.  You get one check per monster per combat.  There's a table next to the feat description that tells you what bonus you get for your check result.
Q 81 I want to advance an NPC. It's a ranger/sorcerer. Is there a feat that'll blend them together well, and what PrCs complement this pairing?
A81: There really isn't a PrC that works exceptionally well with this pairing.  You can either use the usual Gish PrCs if you want to advance combat and spellcasting, or Unseen Seer if you want to advance the nature-ish skillmonkey angle.  You might want to tweak Unseen Seer to give more Favored Enemy bonuses instead of Skirmish/Sneak Attack bonuses.

As far as feats go, again there's nothing that explicitly pairs Ranger and Sorcerer.  There might be a 3.0 feat around somewhere that adds your FE bonus to spell DCs, but that's really not explicitly Ranger/Sorcerer and I can't remember where it would be right now.

Vistella

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #302 on: September 19, 2010, 08:48:03 AM »
Q82
what can rogues do good with high initiative at low levels?
ill soon have a lvl4 char with a +14 initiative mod and wanna know what advantages i can get out of that

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #303 on: September 19, 2010, 09:26:40 AM »
Q82
ill soon have a lvl4 char with a +14 initiative mod and wanna know what advantages i can get out of that
Auto sneak attack everyone the first round. Until they've acted in a combat round they are flat-footed.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Vistella

• Email
« Reply #304 on: September 19, 2010, 09:39:46 AM »
Q82
Auto sneak attack everyone the first round. Until they've acted in a combat round they are flat-footed.
i meant besides that :)
as most of the time the first round is used to move so no full attack

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #305 on: September 19, 2010, 09:43:16 AM »
Shortbow.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #306 on: September 19, 2010, 02:16:29 PM »

q80. whats the trick with knowledge devotion to gain a insight bonus to atk/dmg. can someone break it down for me how it works?
A80: At any point you spend a free action to make a knowledge check regarding the monster.  You get one check per monster per combat.  There's a table next to the feat description that tells you what bonus you get for your check result.

[/quote]

wheres the feat? is there a link to a online read i could get?
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #307 on: September 19, 2010, 02:29:49 PM »
Quote from: dna1

wheres the feat? is there a link to a online read i could get?
Complete Champion.
HERE's a complete description. (hint: bookmark this site ... it's a must for online resources)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 02:37:06 PM by wotmaniac »

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #308 on: September 19, 2010, 02:51:17 PM »
Q83: Does practiced spellcaster let you recoup spellcaster levels lost from a PrC that skips levels in progression?
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #309 on: September 19, 2010, 03:04:59 PM »
Q79
Which feat allows a Cleric to use Int in place of Wis for spellcasting Stat and what is it's source?
I think that's Academic Priest, and it's Dragon Lance.
Specifically, it's from Legend of the Twins.  Note that it doesn't change the stat you use for save DCs, only maximum spell level and bonus spells. 

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #310 on: September 19, 2010, 03:17:11 PM »
Q83: Does practiced spellcaster let you recoup spellcaster levels lost from a PrC that skips levels in progression?

A83: Yup.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #311 on: September 19, 2010, 04:13:59 PM »
Only the CL, though.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #312 on: September 19, 2010, 04:38:40 PM »
Only the CL, though.

In other words, NO. Practiced spellcaster only gives you CL, but not ECL. Example: Wizard 7/Fighter 4 with Practiced Spellcaster (Wizard). You cast spells as strongly as an 11th lvl wizard, but only have what a 7th lvl wizard has for spells per day.

Vistella

• Email
« Reply #313 on: September 19, 2010, 06:56:33 PM »
Q84
is it somehow possible to make a longspear finessable?

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #314 on: September 19, 2010, 06:57:47 PM »
You might want the "many details" setting.  Has Level, source book, short description.
Tried that. It came out to be 81 pages for printing purposes.
Which class?  I might be able to write a regex to compactify the formatting.
Cleric.

If you could get it to work out like this, http://www.necromancergames.com/pdf/Cleric.pdf that'd be awesome. The same with the domains.

I downloaded ImarvinTPA's spell database, opened it in OpenOffice.org Calc, copied the relevant columns, filtered it based on cleric spell level, and came up with more-or-less what you're looking for.  Unfortunately, it's more than 4 times longer than the maximum character length allowed for a post. 

If you PM me your email address and preferred format, I can send you what I've got.  Otherwise, it wouldn't be too hard for you to duplicate it. 

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #315 on: September 19, 2010, 06:59:30 PM »
Q84

A 84:
Yes. A feat from Dragon Magazine, from an two-part article with Regional Greyhawk feats. It grants Finesse with the Longsword, Longspear and +2 to confirm crits with bows. Check Crystalkeep for the issue, my guess is #314. Don't quote me on that.

Vistella

• Email
« Reply #316 on: September 19, 2010, 07:10:46 PM »
Q84

A 84:
Yes. A feat from Dragon Magazine, from an two-part article with Regional Greyhawk feats. It grants Finesse with the Longsword, Longspear and +2 to confirm crits with bows. Check Crystalkeep for the issue, my guess is #314. Don't quote me on that.

ok, crystalkeep says "one of"

thanks then :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 07:13:18 PM by Vistella »

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #317 on: September 19, 2010, 07:12:22 PM »
Q84

A 84:

A84b
By my reading of the Aptitude ability in Tome of Battle, you might be able to argue that you can use Weapon Finesse with an Aptitude Longspear. It hardly seems gamebreaking to allow, if it's gray area.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #318 on: September 19, 2010, 07:24:33 PM »
Q 85 How much does a toad cost?
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

Zaxter

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #319 on: September 19, 2010, 07:41:32 PM »
Q 85 How much does a toad cost?
Well, a chicken costs 2cp, so I'm going to go ahead and assume less than that.