Author Topic: [Patherfinder] Advice on an Artificer  (Read 1125 times)

Vomica

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
[Patherfinder] Advice on an Artificer
« on: September 12, 2010, 10:28:41 PM »
In exactly one weeks time, I'm going to start playing in an PF game on IRC.

The basics:

Starting level seven.

Only the core races can be picked for PCs -- minus the gnomes (They 'mysteriously disappeared' after last campaign).

Material can only be drawn from the SRD or Paizo printed PF books (such as the APG). Spells may be 'imported' from 3.5 -- after DM approval.

Starting gold is 19,000 (This is below WBL, but it should balance out eventually)

There are seven PCs, a crazy number and I'm sure some will leave after a few sessions, thus I've been allowed to play an Artificer so classes aren't doubled up on. It's an PF Artificer, it is much like the 3.5 one save for infusions are traded for an odd form of spell casting. Currently, I've settled on playing a dwarf. It is likely the worst race for an Artificer, but for plot reasons... access to resources is greatly increased. Now here is the problem, I have virtually no experience with PF... or full casters in 3.5 -- and as such I come to the boards for help.

Crafting does not take up EXP in PF, hence the reason for going for Artificer. The primary tactic was to produce a Handy Haversack, and pull out whatever scroll or wand I need as a move action.

The advice I'm looking for -- metamagic suggestions? The one I plan on taking right now is Reach Spell, from APG, for one spell level it extends the spells range by one category -- touch to short, short to mid, etc.

How about other feats?

Spells that might be a good idea to import? (Being as it's up to DM fiat... I'm concerned about e-mailing him a list of a hundred spells that might even be remotely useful, and irking him off). Well on the topic of spells, what spells would be useful to have on the Weird Science devices? Glitter dust? Summon Monster spells? Silent Image?

And equipment?

Since I'm more or less stuck with dwarf, I had considered a paladin or fighter dip for the heavy armor proficiency. But the trade offs...

Anyways. Thanks in advance -- even if you have no advice, just taking the time to read this is appreciated.

rasmuswagner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: [Patherfinder] Advice on an Artificer
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 06:09:51 AM »
Never mind armor proficiency. Just take full plate and tower shield, and suck up the -16 to attack rolls. If you're skipping rays, you can do without attack rolls entirely.

Make one combined device that comboes well. Off the top of my head, I think Entangle + Stinking Cloud + Call Lightning. An area effect damage over time spell to replace Call Lightning would make it even better, but I can't think of one.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 09:34:40 AM »
Isn't there a feat in pathfinder that lets you Coup De Grace creatures that are stunned?

If so, spells that stun opponents and a Pick is a decent combat tactic.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

borg286

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 11:28:33 AM »
There's a few spells that extend the longevity of weird magic here: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8882.0
As always check out the best spells with treantmonk's handbook: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/test
Hit up bunko's for things to craft: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=350.0

Don't do reach, but get extend or empower.  There are many spells that benefit from 1 of those 2.