Author Topic: Optimizing the Adept......  (Read 8569 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Re: Optimizing the Adept......
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 11:40:39 PM »
<cough> First level must be a commoner dip for Chicken Infested (should seriously be a Commoner class feature.) <cough>
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 12:09:41 AM »
And take Corpse Crafter, so when you turn those chickens into zombies...

Also, make sure you can make them assplode.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 04:47:22 AM »
Good idea....
And I could even play lesser Aasimar so I won't have to buyoff the la.......
The problem is that I am not sure that spell like abilities are arcane or divine.....
Would this really give arcane caster level?
Maybe I will ask the dm to change the requirement of arcane caster level to  divine or arcane so I can take the familiar feats without having to worry....

"Some spell-like abilities duplicate spells that work differently when cast by characters of different classes. If the spell in question is not a sorcerer/wizard spell, then default to cleric, druid, bard, paladin, and ranger, in that order." from the SRD on SLAs. That section deals with how SLAs function if the spell works differently based on class. While it doesn't explicitly state it, it implies that most SLAs are cast as arcane spells, and thus you should get arcane CL.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 05:10:11 AM »
actually, that's for adjucating spell level.

Quote from: Complete Arcane
cannot
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 05:22:14 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 05:44:54 AM »
actually, that's for adjucating spell level.

Quote from: Complete Arcane
cannot

Improved Familiar only needs arcane CL, which SLAs specifically can qualify you for, assuming they are arcane.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 05:53:01 AM »
Copy and pasted into the wrong thread.

Point is, SLAs are neither arcane nor divine.  Only spells have that distinction.
Planetouched Handbook

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 11:10:40 AM »
Well it does not matter, I spoke with the dm and he said that it is logical that I can use my divine caster level to qualify for these feats,of course he made that exception olny for the familiar feats....
So now I can pick Dragon Familiar(Gold Wyrmling) without problems....
What would be the best spell for blasting?I am thinking scorching ray with metamagic empower and split ray......
Maybe I will even take energy substibition because fire is the most common resistance/immunity in monsters......

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 11:22:29 AM »
Just reminding you to take the leadership feat. And Mercantile background.

If the only thing you have is money equavilent to your level, better get some worthwhile items.

I'd probably blast with scorching ray, but I think Polymorph and Web are more useful, and the healing spells.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 11:27:22 AM »

If the only thing you have is money equavilent to your level, better get some worthwhile items.

I'd probably blast with scorching ray, but I think Polymorph and Web are more useful, and the healing spells.

Of course you are right but it would be nice to have 2 or 3 blasting spells prepared,also a problem with the items is that only items that can be made from an adept are available,so for example I can not have a ring of three wishes because wish isn't in the adept's spell list and so it is not available.......

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 08:00:10 PM »

Of course you are right but it would be nice to have 2 or 3 blasting spells prepared,also a problem with the items is that only items that can be made from an adept are available,so for example I can not have a ring of three wishes because wish isn't in the adept's spell list and so it is not available.......

If all the books are in, there are the NPC Magewrights from eberron.  Wish is still out pre-epic, but that makes more spells and hopefully more items available in the game.  You can get wish back in with epic casters, as the point made earlier about adepts having the option of getting on domain is available from the eberron book (page 256).  Wish can be found on the luck domain and would be castable by an epic adept.  Still unlikely you will get ahold of one if the DM allowed the eberron material, but possible.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 08:04:55 PM »

If all the books are in, there are the NPC Magewrights from eberron.  Wish is still out pre-epic, but that makes more spells and hopefully more items available in the game.  You can get wish back in with epic casters, as the point made earlier about adepts having the option of getting on domain is available from the eberron book (page 256).  Wish can be found on the luck domain and would be castable by an epic adept.  Still unlikely you will get ahold of one if the DM allowed the eberron material, but possible.
Sure we will have a magewright in the party...I don't know about epic levels it seems they are far enough.....
Still I will look at the magewright spelllist to see what items it adds in the game....
We are playing obviously in a homebrew campaign.... but he will allow eberron books....
So what would be a good domain for my adept?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 08:20:17 PM »
Ideally, spell domain for access to Anyspell.
Planetouched Handbook

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2010, 08:31:11 PM »
Ideally, spell domain for access to Anyspell.
I don't think that in this campaign it will be optimal...
To benefit from anyspell I must have a scroll or a spellbook in front of me.....
And the only arcane spells will be from magewright which we allready have in the party....
What about the time domain so I would get some very nice spell that I don't have?

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2010, 09:32:44 PM »
But Spell domain...

Plus, it means you are probably worshiping a Mystra analogue, which means Initiate of Mystra.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2010, 09:49:02 PM »
But Spell domain...

Plus, it means you are probably worshiping a Mystra analogue, which means Initiate of Mystra.
Well I get 5 spell added to my spell list with the domain...
With spell domain I get 1.mage armor 2.Silence 3.Anyspell 4.Mnemonic Enhancer 5.Break Enchantment
All of them except maybe silence are useless to me because either I can not use them or I allready have them....
With time domain I get 1.true strike 2.Gentle repose 3.haste 4.freedom of movement 5.Pernamency
All of them are spell that I can use and I don't otherwise have and except for maybe Gentle repose all of the are very useful.....
Is there another domain  that offers more useful spell than time for 1-5 level of spells?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 01:29:01 PM »
Celerity?
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010, 01:46:55 PM »
There is also a dragon mag feat called customize domain that let's you change the spells in you domain to whatever you want as long as it matches the theme.  I will look up what issue later.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2010, 01:53:21 PM »
The travel domain gets you fly, dimension door, and teleport as well as a very useful domain ability. The war domain has some nice spells if you want to go into melee but I don't think you do.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2010, 02:11:54 PM »
The travel domain gets you fly, dimension door, and teleport as well as a very useful domain ability. The war domain has some nice spells if you want to go into melee but I don't think you do.
I think that I don't get the domain abilities as an adept.....
But yes teleport would be very nice to have so we can transport the whole party quickly....

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2010, 02:15:58 PM »
OK, random thoughts:

Craft(Poison-Making), Minor creation, etc for a poison setup.
Minor shapeshift together with polymorph are never wrong.
Fiery burst? They get at least one [fire] spell per level, except 5th. Retrain it later.
Martial Study for the intimidate skill + imperious command.
Martial Study x2 for white raven tactics.
Knowledge devotion is good, but with your BAB you ain't gonna do much.
Leadership is a given.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.