Author Topic: You Might Be Playing 3.5 If...  (Read 33073 times)

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
Re: You Might Be Playing 3.5 If...
« Reply #140 on: September 16, 2010, 12:41:41 AM »
69. When a certain PC (Pun-Pun) is stronger than all the pantheons put together.

Pun pun is not a PC.  Pun pun is a MEME.  He's transcendental and mysterious and has never been played.
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2010, 12:45:13 AM »
69. When a certain PC (Pun-Pun) is stronger than all the pantheons put together.

Pun pun is not a PC.  Pun pun is a MEME.  He's transcendental and mysterious and has never been played.
not quite true on that last part :innocent:
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2010, 12:57:08 AM »
63... When the tarrasque can be defeated without a wish or miracle.... at level 9

Details please.  What combination of spells reliably defeat the Tarasque at this level?
A level 5 cleric can do it, with a bit of boosting to his effective turning level from items or feats. Command an allip, sick it on the tarrasque, then cast Meld into Stone and wait for the tarrasque to go catatonic from wisdom drain. It won't technically be dead, but it won't be getting back up, either. You can set up a Tarrasque steak shop right next to it, and enjoy your infinite wealth. :D
Thaaat's going into one of my campaigns.  :D

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #143 on: September 16, 2010, 01:22:31 AM »
63... When the tarrasque can be defeated without a wish or miracle.... at level 9

Details please.  What combination of spells reliably defeat the Tarasque at this level?
A level 5 cleric can do it, with a bit of boosting to his effective turning level from items or feats. Command an allip, sick it on the tarrasque, then cast Meld into Stone and wait for the tarrasque to go catatonic from wisdom drain. It won't technically be dead, but it won't be getting back up, either. You can set up a Tarrasque steak shop right next to it, and enjoy your infinite wealth. :D

To expand on that thought...
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: September 16, 2010, 01:27:09 AM »

Details please.  What combination of spells reliably defeat the Tarasque at this level?

To expand on that thought...
or the Hydraburger stand from OotS.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2010, 04:21:17 PM »
(pyro-) Hydraburger = pre cooked meat ?!

Vendor: "It's been cooling for 3 days ... it's perfect."

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2010, 05:41:26 PM »
70. If twenty toads are somehow an overwhelmingly difficult encounter for a single character.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2010, 05:48:32 PM »
70. If twenty toads are somehow an overwhelmingly difficult encounter for a single character.
They do have +21 hide.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2010, 05:56:11 PM »
As far as I can tell, they don't have a natural attack, and their grapple modifier is -17. What are they going to do?

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #149 on: September 19, 2010, 06:07:56 PM »
As far as I can tell, they don't have a natural attack, and their grapple modifier is -17. What are they going to do?

My point precisely.
But according to the CR rules, 10 toads are an appropriate encounter for four level 1 characters, so by that logic twice that amount attacking only one character should be overwhelmingly difficult.... ;)

I think that what they do is to kamikaze your feet, you step on them, slip on the greasy substance that is their entrails, fall down and break your neck.
Obviously.
[Spoiler]
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #150 on: September 19, 2010, 06:12:17 PM »

My point precisely.
But according to the CR rules, 10 toads are an appropriate encounter for four level 1 characters, so by that logic twice that amount attacking only one character should be overwhelmingly difficult.... ;)

I think that what they do is to kamikaze your feet, you step on them, slip on the greasy substance that is their entrails, fall down and break your neck.
Obviously.
Improvised weapon (tongue).  They'll take a -4, but minimum damage is 1.  20 toads, only hitting on a natural 20, and dealing one point of damage, each dying to a single attack, will, over the course of a whole combat, deal (21*10)*.05 =10.5 damage.  That's enough to KO most first level characters.  Then the remaining toad can CDG.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #151 on: September 19, 2010, 06:17:07 PM »
er?

21x 10 = 210

210 x .5 = 110

no matter, its sick, i like it.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #152 on: September 19, 2010, 06:19:24 PM »
So we have a revision: "If twenty toads can, in fact, kill an adult human being, you might be playing 3.5"

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #153 on: September 19, 2010, 06:27:36 PM »
er?

21x 10 = 210

210 x .5 = 110

# of attacks = 20+19+18+17+....
Divide by 20 because they only hit on a crit.

But come on, it's like The Birds except with toads.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #154 on: September 19, 2010, 06:28:34 PM »
er?

21x 10 = 210

210 x .5 = 110

210 x .05
Quotes [spoiler]
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #155 on: September 19, 2010, 06:30:32 PM »
Huh, I had no idea toads could use improvised weapons, but sure, it's the rules.
The calculations ads up, assuming all toads can attack each turn.
But they're diminutive, so they ought to be able to fit into the same square.

Ridicilarious.
[Spoiler]

[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2010, 06:34:46 PM »
All I'm getting from this is "low level characters should keep a flask of acid handy".

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2010, 06:39:59 PM »
All I'm getting from this is "low level characters should keep a flask of acid handy".
Toad attacks are serious business.

Also, I might amend that to "everyone should keep a flask of acid handy."

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2010, 06:49:47 PM »
What if you exchange the toads' alertness feat for shape soulmeld (dissolving spittle)?  The toads have +5 to hit and are targeting touch AC.  If the sniping option of the hide skill is compatible with dissolving spittle, the size and racial bonuses to hide would be quite beneficial.

Edit: Oh, right, the feat requires con 13. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 06:56:08 PM by Maat_Mons »

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #159 on: September 19, 2010, 07:03:03 PM »
What if you exchange the toads' alertness feat for shape soulmeld (dissolving spittle)?  The toads have +5 to hit and are targeting touch AC.  If the sniping option of the hide skill is compatible with dissolving spittle, the size and racial bonuses to hide would be quite beneficial.

Edit: Oh, right, the feat requires con 13. 
You might be on to something there actually. Magebred (from Eberron give +4 one physical stat and +2 both other stats). The example had no change to CR. Magebred Toads + DCFS = weaponized toads.
How much does a toad cost?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 07:12:00 PM by jojolagger »
Quotes [spoiler]

[/spoiler]