Author Topic: No Hit, No Save, No SR effects  (Read 30891 times)

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
Re: No Hit, No Save, No SR effects
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2010, 02:38:49 AM »
Speaking of Frostburn.

Iceberg
Level: Wiz/Sor 9
Saving Throw: None if within 20ft of the target.
Spell Resistance: Yes, but how the hell does it work?

Iceberg creates a solid chunk of ice above everyone's head and promptly drops it. The crushing weight of it slamming onto you deals 20d6 crushing damage and you are buried in snow. Takes a DC 25 str check (done as a standard action) to free your self. Fast fact - 5x5 cube of snow weighs 500lbs per D&D ruling.

The ice block is mundane, the snow in mundane, gravity cannot be explained, and the spell's duration is instantaneous meaning the blocks are created and no longer any sort of magic. The SR check is stupid, it's like saying SR allows you to fly though snow created by Cold Snap or Control Temperature/Weather. So yeah, posting it anyway.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2010, 04:12:23 AM »
It's not real snow, apparently.

Or your spell resistance screws up the targeting computer.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2010, 09:44:52 AM »
Anti-optimize your caster level, have SR, and make a habit of casting it on yourself to slam blocks of ice on the surrounding countryside as your targeting constantly goes haywire?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2010, 10:18:26 AM »
Anti-optimize your caster level, have SR, and make a habit of casting it on yourself to slam blocks of ice on the surrounding countryside as your targeting constantly goes haywire?
unnecessary. You always beat your own SR.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2010, 10:57:50 AM »
Fast fact - 5x5 cube of snow weighs 500lbs per D&D ruling.
well, according to this, the density of freshly-fallen snow is commonly around 8% of water.  a little quick math tells me that it would be more like 625 lbs (depending on temperature), and gets denser as it encounters sunlight.  .... meh, good enough for D&D.

otherwise, I house-rule that spell to not allow SR (I mean, come on ... it's an element-based direct-damage 9th-level spell with a sometimes reflex save)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2010, 12:44:39 PM »
unnecessary. You always beat your own SR.
Oh, that's good. Don't have to drop it for a round to buff then. /hasn't played a lot of things with SR.

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2010, 01:01:36 PM »
Iceberg is "elephant-sized", and is essentially a 20ft radius+ chunk of ice with an undefined height. It shatters into enough snow to bury a larger radius. Hard to seriously argue 5x5 weights that much. Have to assume the undefined height makes up the mass to make the snow burial possible.

SR is only there because it is [Evocation] (blehrg)

As a DM I would errata out the SR, and perhaps it should fall under conjuration. Perhaps not... it's not like conjuration needs anymore spells.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2010, 01:06:48 PM »
Iceberg is "elephant-sized", and is essentially a 20ft radius+ chunk of ice with an undefined height. It shatters into enough snow to bury a larger radius. Hard to seriously argue 5x5 weights that much. Have to assume the undefined height makes up the mass to make the snow burial possible.

As a DM I would errata out the SR, and perhaps it should fall under conjuration. Perhaps not... it's not like conjuration needs anymore spells.
Evocation isn't allowed to have anything nice because WotC hates it while they still want everyone to use it.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2010, 03:54:41 PM »

Evocation isn't allowed to have anything nice because WotC hates it while they still want everyone to use it.

Because they want everyone to use it and balance it against fighters I think.

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2010, 07:28:42 PM »
I thought this was plainly about unmodified spells, not subject to class abilities/feats...since it clearly is not...

How about you get a wizard/incantrix/dweomerkeeper with irresistible spell and drop an irresistible supernatural Frostfell or Maw of Chaos on whatever.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2010, 06:41:34 AM »
I can't believe anticipate teleportation and anticipate teleportation, greater never got mentioned in this thread.
Because technically they are a buff, though they do have offensive possibility. I forgot that it is 24hours and the 6th level one is 3 rounds  :D. Anyone else think its worth it?

It's not amazing, but Kelgor's Grave Mist only has a save against part of the effect.  The rest hits automatically.  Not bad for a long range AoE 1st level spell.JaronK
Auto fatigue is nice but my PHII116 lists it as 2nd level. Not in mango index or sc. Was it updated elsewhere, the usual spell reference site is down.

Iceberg I was aware of. I'll add it with a note that the RAW is ... off

Azrael, yes archmages with supernatural spell can open up a bunch of no save, SR yes spells like maze. But that list is much larger  :(
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2010, 07:35:27 AM »
I can't believe anticipate teleportation and anticipate teleportation, greater never got mentioned in this thread.
Because technically they are a buff, though they do have offensive possibility. I forgot that it is 24hours and the 6th level one is 3 rounds  :D. Anyone else think its worth it?

How are they not? They're basically "Fuck You" to Scry-and-Die tactics; SR: "You Wish"; Save: "Hahahaha no".

I can just imagine the way it warns you about teleport. Some cheeky wizard makes it conjure a projected image-like effect dressed as a british butler.

"Pardon, sir, I thought you should know that there's a spellcaster that will be arriving in eighteen seconds."
"Jolly good, Jeeves. Perhaps I should prepare some defenses, wot?"
"Very good, sir. Please do make haste, or you shall be late for tea."
"Right-o."
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2010, 08:07:45 AM »

How are they not? They're basically "Fuck You" to Scry-and-Die tactics; SR: "You Wish"; Save: "Hahahaha no".

I can just imagine the way it warns you about teleport. Some cheeky wizard makes it conjure a projected image-like effect dressed as a british butler.

"Pardon, sir, I thought you should know that there's a spellcaster that will be arriving in eighteen seconds."
"Right-o."
And...I'm doing this from now on.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2010, 08:09:44 AM »
Because technically they are a buff, though they do have offensive possibility. I forgot that it is 24hours and the 6th level one is 3 rounds  :D. Anyone else think its worth it?

"Right-o."
And...I'm doing this from now on.

Bonus points if it uses John Cleese's or Tim Curry's voice.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2010, 09:12:53 AM »
Forgot about Dream.

TL;DR: you can stick anyone who sleeps into an arbitrarily long coma with a long enough message.
Planetouched Handbook

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2010, 12:15:27 PM »
Forgot about Dream.

TL;DR: you can stick anyone who sleeps into an arbitrarily long coma with a long enough message.
no save ... but it does allow for SR.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2010, 06:18:29 PM »
Forgot about Dream.

SR on the messenger.  The recipient doesn't get it.  You aren't even targeting the recipient.
Planetouched Handbook

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2010, 07:59:56 PM »
Forgot about Dream.

SR on the messenger.  The recipient doesn't get it.  You aren't even targeting the recipient.

I don't see anything in the spell description that says that the recipient has to stay asleep for the whole duration of the Dream spell.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

bearchucks

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Being Batman...with chainsaw bearchucks
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2010, 08:15:23 PM »
"I have a message for you.  It is entitled: The Complete Works of Fyodor Dostoevsky.  Here we go..."

Without a ring of sustenance or some other shtick...that's a No save No SR JUST DIE.
http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf  The smallest, shortest, simplest ruleset of any RPG I've ever seen.  If 3.5 is too complex and you don't like 4.0, try this.  It has very few rules and is just short of freeform.

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2010, 08:20:15 PM »
Speaking of Frostburn.

Iceberg
Level: Wiz/Sor 9
Saving Throw: None if within 20ft of the target.
Spell Resistance: Yes, but how the hell does it work?

The same way SR vs fireball does, I presume?
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.