Author Topic: E6 Concept Wizard 6  (Read 2746 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
E6 Concept Wizard 6
« on: August 30, 2010, 03:45:35 AM »
How would I go about building a wizard 6 with the following concept?:

He laughs at the very notion of immutable spell slots. Whether it's casting Unseen Servant 12 times in a day to help with the garden, or unexpectedly whipping out 2 or 3 more higher level spells than he should be able to, he always has just the right proportion of force for whatever he needs to do.

So basically he excels at altering the number of spell slots he has to play with, with a little flavor of spontaneity.

My attempt at building him/her ended up as a Venerable Grey Elf Focused Diviner with the Spontaneous Divination ACF.

As for feats, he/she has Arcane Manipulation and Versatile Spellcaster, combined with Spell Mastery, to mess with spell slot amounts.

Spell slots could range, at 6th level, from 30/7/7/3 to 0/4/4/9

So, is there anything I've missed that could make this even more flexible?

E6 rules, meaning unlimited number of feats.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: E6 Concept Wizard 6
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 09:48:50 AM »
That's actually a pretty cute trick.  I don't know of anything better off the top of my head, other than Spell Points, but I doubt you care about variants. :p

It's better than a sorcerer and Versatile Spellcaster, and you get more spells known.  That's a plus.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 09:54:19 AM by RobbyPants »
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 10:35:08 AM »
Out of curiosity, what schools are you dropping?

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 02:34:46 PM »
Evocation and Necromancy, but I'm using Arcane Transfiguration to get one of them back.

Thank for the compliment, RobbyPants.

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 07:40:24 PM »
2nd-ing the compliment.

Maybe Bast + Plz's Item cost reducing handbook,
would get lots of twinks in the item crafting extensions on this.
I don't know when it'd all roll in.

Psionics can kinda do this.
Erudite + the old powerstone trick = 3 rounds (and 3 Oa's drawn) to get anything learned to that point.
Not helpful in combat at all.
Not sure what would be involved to get this over on to Arcane or Divine.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 07:42:25 PM »
I thought diviners only had to drop 1 school?
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 07:54:28 PM »
why not just use Warmage or Beguiler or Dread necromancer ...... they actually Know useable Spells that are very powerful .... not simply Heightened versions of lower level spells ..... in E6 any of the above would be even stronger ... with Arcane Disciple+ some powerful Domains(Transformation= Polymorph) you could cast spells nobody else could

exa:

Warmage/Beguiler/Dread Necro 6

Feats:
Versatile Spellcaster
Heighten Spell
Practical Metamagic(Heighten)

thus you can expend 2 slots of Heightened Spells of 4th lvl using 3rd lvl slots to cast a 5th lvl spell (...even higher if it was in your Sanctum(req: Sanctum Spell))

:D

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 08:26:38 PM »
I thought diviners only had to drop 1 school?
He's a Focused Diviner, so he drops one extra.

Try Uncanny Forethought for good measure too.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 08:54:41 PM »
Carnivore, the point is that I'm trying to do a theme wizard build. Otherwise, I would use one of those three classes.

And that way of getting 5th level spells wouldn't work; the feat says that you sacrifice a spell slot, not a spell. So I would be leaving some slots aside to spontaneously cast my favorite wizard spells, because remember, Wizards get a ton of spells known.

Besides, the level of diversity in our good friends', the W/B/DN group, spell list is a bit lacking...

Edit: I'm throwing on Uncanny Forethought. I just learned that in our next e6 game, we'll start at level 3, so I know my third level feat if I play this guy!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 09:07:14 PM by Amechra »

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 09:28:27 PM »
wizard2/favoredsoul1/mystictheurge3

Feats

1-heighten spell, precorious apprentic
3-versatille spellcaster
6-whatever

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 08:03:05 PM »
Doink.

Ardent + Psiotheurgist(s) + some CL boosting stuff ...
would eventually get PsyRef and some access to higher level Powers.
Might have it before 6th level, and chiseling exp isn't a problem in E6.

But compared to Amechra's Wizard, this is way behind, until much later.
Compared to Carni's build, it's way waayyy behind.