Author Topic: Possible Build for next campaign  (Read 1236 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Possible Build for next campaign
« on: August 26, 2010, 05:17:10 PM »
Q 46 I looked up a few builds via Google for the Marshal, and given what I'm allowed, how does a Gold Dragon 1(DR320)/Marshal 4/Solitary Hunter Fangshield Ranger 2/Warblade 2/Dragon Lord 10 Phrenric Creature sound? We usually average 21-26 levels every campaign so I'm allowing some room for other templates to get added on (ie ice devil, celestial, half-illithid, half-medusa, whatever the hell else he sticks on me). His rule is that you can't take Dragon Shaman if you're already a dragon (draconic, dragon, half-dragon, etc) so that build was out. As well, I don't trust him to not take out my creatures/companions/cohorts/etc so Purple Dragon Knight was also set aside. The other build I saw was a bard/marshal. That didn't look too bad. While it didn't happen this campaign, the next one he'll be putting in the Richard Baker changes to Tome of Battle so the warblade will be d10 without the ability to gain back their maneuvres during combat. I don't know if he'll remove the Martial Aptitude ability as also suggested. In which case, I'd almost be better to go with the original fighter/marshal build, but I thought warblade was better. If for no other reason, my Will is going to suck, and Moment of the Perfect Mind would be very nice to have.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Possible Build for next campaign
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 05:31:12 PM »
Just in case you need. If your DM lives close to me, you can ask a hit on hm free of charge.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 06:32:56 PM »
Just in case you need. If your DM lives close to me, you can ask a hit on hm free of charge.
lol He doesn't live near anyone. He doesn't even live in town. I think only his wife, and his parents know the location of his house.

I'm looking at taking classes that do absolutely nothing to help with spellcasting, or manifesting. He wanted me to be psionic for the next campaign, and that's fine, but I think the template is about as psionic as I really want to be. I learned quickly that being a caster of any kind, and looking at that many LAs, you'd be a damn fool to become one.

Another option would be to go with medusa for the +2 Dex and Cha, and get snakes to attack with instead of a single bite. I'm not going to get a breath weapon anyways, nor a gaze attack, so it really doesn't matter. My original thought was "I CAN FINALLY BE HUMAN!" when I looked at the potential races that I could choose from next campaign, but apparently that'd be a bad idea. The only humans we see in his world are the occasional NPC from a city that hasn't been raided, or warped and curses. Hell, my current character's wife used to be human until she was turned into a medusa off-screen before they met.

Still don't know what's going to happen once the game starts and the sanctified ice devil blood starts to manifest itself.

I'm really just looking for options where I get no spellcasting of any kind, no animal companion/familiar/cohort/etc for the DM to kill off, nothing that'll hinder me because I have other levels or LAs that lower what I need to be effective. So far I've looked at the non spellcasting ranger and paladin, which blow, their variants which give you feats, but still aren't that great, and things with auras that are based around your level in general.

I'm only allowed one monster level from illithid, medusa, or dragon, and would be required to use a lesser wish to get more (I refuse). Once I choose a monster level, the rest become regular LAs from templates, that'll be allowed 1 or 2 levels of, and then there's the other LAs from the other stuff in my blood. If I knew it wasn't going to screw me over, I'd go spellscale sorcerer and take a bloodline feat exorcise one of the LAs that way. Maybe after my monster blood gets thinned out some more. See if I can't somehow find me a human wife next campaign, and keep her away from everything that could destroy the fetus and mutate it like the half-illithid did this campaign.

As you can probably tell, "normal" isn't allowed in his campaigns.

Another option I considered was the soulknife/soulbow wit the Hidden Talent switch out. Kind of follow in dad's footsteps since he was an archery based ranger. But even with that, I can see how that could get taken down a few pegs with LAs and all that.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 07:24:55 PM »
Damn. Well, can't use my first build with Dragon Lord 10. Can only go up to Dragon Lord 3 because of the Dragon Leadership. Well that wasn't something I'd forseen coming at me. There goes seven levels I hadn't planned on losing. Maybe Dragonfire Adept since I don't have a breath weapon.