Author Topic: Building an Incarnate:  (Read 10385 times)

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: Building an Incarnate:
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2010, 06:23:02 PM »
Its probably best that you pay for a higher CL and fewer charges.
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2010, 08:17:47 PM »
I've been madly nerfed. Apparently wands have 1/5th the charges, but cost full price. I've got like 220000 gold to spend though, so I'm not concerned.

Anyway, I've priced out a Wand of Vigor (15 rounds of Fast Healing 2) with 5 charges (likely too many) for 5625gp and a Staff of Heal (120HP/Charge) with 4 charges (which should be just about enough) for 9000gp.

So, I'm now at like 205000. Any other recommendations for solid tanky items? A cloak of quills for another 1d4+3 damage when I'm hit with a non-reach melee attack? Is miss chance worthwhile? (I notice Mantle of Flame works on every attack, not every hit) Should I even buy armour?

I'm thinking Skin of Iron (40000gp, MiC171) for DR15/Adamantium, a pile of immunities (blindness, critical hits, ability score damage, deafness, disease, drowning, electricity, poison, stunning, spells or attacks affecting my physiology or respiration), half damage from fire and acid. Vulnerability to whatever Iron Golems are vulnerable to, which it is unlikely the Fighter will have, (Rusting Grasp?) +6 str (meh), -6 Dex (:/), 1/2 speed, and some other stuff I don't care about. It functions 15 minutes a day, so...

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 09:11:50 PM by Generic_PC »
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2010, 09:46:56 PM »
Better options for my essentia basically boil down to Adamant Pauldrons or Bluesteel Bracers, so 1 more DR and +5 to damage. It is a good idea though, so I'll definitely take advantage of it.

So, regeneration isn't the way to go? Instead I want to UMD Wands of Greater Vigor and Heal?

A Staff of Heal will go a long way to saving your ass, considering you can get your UMD total to max out the Caster Level.

Staffs do not work like that.

Short story: Applying your CL to a staff is using your CL class feature.  You can't use UMD to use a class feature.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2010, 09:59:48 PM »
Better options for my essentia basically boil down to Adamant Pauldrons or Bluesteel Bracers, so 1 more DR and +5 to damage. It is a good idea though, so I'll definitely take advantage of it.

So, regeneration isn't the way to go? Instead I want to UMD Wands of Greater Vigor and Heal?

A Staff of Heal will go a long way to saving your ass, considering you can get your UMD total to max out the Caster Level.

Staffs do not work like that.

Short story: Applying your CL to a staff is using your CL class feature.  You can't use UMD to use a class feature.
ACtually, you CAN UMD a staff. Staffs use the same activation as wands (see UMD skill description), and Staves either use their caster level, or your caster level, whichever is higher.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2010, 10:09:44 PM »
You can UMD it, but you can't UMD the caster level to be higher.

This skill does not let you actually use the class feature of another class. It just lets you activate items as if you had that class feature.

You are using your caster level if you're a wizard with a staff and going pewpewpew.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2010, 11:05:44 PM »
I'm not planning on raising the CL on a staff anyway, so that is irrelevant for this thread.

I'd love some comments on the Skin of Iron.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2010, 08:31:35 AM »
I'd prefer a Skin of Proteus, if only because it doesn't limit your mobility.
Sadly it does have a really low Manifesterlevel(7th), which may make Skin of Iron(ML 15th) the better choice.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2010, 12:06:25 PM »
I don't really need to worry about the mobility though. I'll do more damage on ranged attacks than he will (especially with DR 15) at what, 5d6+5d6?

I'll look at Skin of the Proteus though.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2010, 12:10:29 PM »
You can wear multiple skins (up to 3) at a time, but only one can be active at any time.

That said, it's not unlikely that he might have an admantine weapon.  If he does, shift essentia into your Adamant Pauldrons if you really want the DR.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2010, 12:13:53 PM »
You can wear multiple skins (up to 3) at a time, but only one can be active at any time.

That said, it's not unlikely that he might have an admantine weapon.  If he does, shift essentia into your Adamant Pauldrons if you really want the DR.
Went back and checked, have to have Split Chakra to put adamant pauldrons and the cloak on at the same time.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2010, 12:15:21 PM »
ugh.  Well, the Cloak is more important for this build if you only get one.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2010, 12:18:09 PM »
Yeah, I was saddened when I noticed my mistake earlier.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »
Psychoactive skins don't take up a body slot though, McPoyo. Unless you were talking about the Cloak of Quills?

If I go with the Proteus skin, what would be some good forms for DR (Or regen...) and have a Con of at least 26? Because otherwise I'm losing HP when I shift.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2010, 12:20:47 PM »
Psychoactive skins don't take up a body slot though, McPoyo. Unless you were talking about the Cloak of Quills?

If I go with the Proteus skin, what would be some good forms for DR (Or regen...) and have a Con of at least 26? Because otherwise I'm losing HP when I shift.
I meant Mantle of Flame.

edit: Also, if the skin functions like Polymorph, your HP never change regardless of the Con of your new form. Saves would, skills would, HP don't.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2010, 03:30:25 PM »

I meant Mantle of Flame.

edit: Also, if the skin functions like Polymorph, your HP never change regardless of the Con of your new form. Saves would, skills would, HP don't.
The skin functions off of Metamorphosis, but that also specifies your HP don't change.  On the other hand, you can assume the form of objects.

Hmm, I think there isn't a limitation on materials, actually...

EDIT: Nope.  Turn into an Orbidium sphere and let the enemy figure out that he is going to burn to death long before actually hurting you that much.  If it looks dangerous, turn into something else and get out of there.  If your DM says no to Orbidium, then Admantine works well too.  Hardness 20 beats out DR15/admantine or DR5/Good  Even more fun would be turn into a cage around your opponent.  Riverine is another acceptable material.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:34:28 PM by snakeman830 »

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2010, 03:32:50 PM »

I meant Mantle of Flame.

The skin functions off of Metamorphosis, but that also specifies your HP don't change.  On the other hand, you can assume the form of objects.

Hmm, I think there isn't a limitation on materials, actually...

Adamantine Bowling Ball with Soulmelds?

Better yet, turn into a Companion Cube. And wear the Blink Shirt.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2010, 01:37:58 AM »
The issue with becoming an object is that I can't follow him around, and he might well have ranged attacks.

Admittedly, an Adamantine Bowling ball spitting out acidic goo...

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2010, 01:40:30 AM »
Turn into something that can fly to get over him, then turn into a cage around him.  Now what is he going to do?  If he's not using Incarnum, I believe any teleportation abilities he might have are limited uses, but you can wash, rinse, and repeat as much as you want.

And, as a side-effect, you heal your level in hp each time you change form.  Not much, but it makes you even harder to kill.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 01:43:04 AM by snakeman830 »

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2010, 10:33:24 AM »
Turn into something that can fly to get over him, then turn into a cage around him.  Now what is he going to do?  If he's not using Incarnum, I believe any teleportation abilities he might have are limited uses, but you can wash, rinse, and repeat as much as you want.

And, as a side-effect, you heal your level in hp each time you change form.  Not much, but it makes you even harder to kill.
Sunder.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2010, 11:40:28 AM »

Sunder.
He retains his own hp and gains the material's Hardness.  In addition, the Fighter takes damage each time he attacks, and I'm pretty sure he'll run out of hp before the Incarnate does.

And Riverine is wonderfully Sunder-proof anyway if that becomes aproblem ;)

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]