Author Topic: Simple Q&A 16: Has Anyone Really Been Far Even As ...  (Read 126818 times)

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Simple Q&A 16: Has Anyone Really Been Far Even As ...
« Reply #660 on: September 06, 2010, 03:16:24 PM »
Q 194: Is there a definite list on all the SAGA books that appeared?

A 194:
You mean like this?

So obvious. Thanks!

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #661 on: September 06, 2010, 03:28:22 PM »
Q 193

Is there a better way to turn the Bard's Inspire Courage into a debuff than the Inspire Awe ACF? I seem to remember something that turned the morale bonus for allies into a penalty for enemies, but I can't find it. Maybe it's in some Dragon mag or a PrC? I know there's a Pathfinder ACF that does that, but I don't think that was it. Maybe I'm just imagining things.

There's also some feat in either Libris Mortis or Heroes of Horror, I think it's called Haunting Melody, that makes all foes in a 30-ft. radius shaken if they fail a save based on your perform check.

Combined with Imperious Command, it's a really good debuff. And there are ways around those pesky immunities, so...

I think ECF reprinted it,. and nerfed the save back to 10+ 1/2 level + CHA
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #662 on: September 06, 2010, 03:32:24 PM »
Q 193

Is there a better way to turn the Bard's Inspire Courage into a debuff than the Inspire Awe ACF? I seem to remember something that turned the morale bonus for allies into a penalty for enemies, but I can't find it. Maybe it's in some Dragon mag or a PrC? I know there's a Pathfinder ACF that does that, but I don't think that was it. Maybe I'm just imagining things.

There's also some feat in either Libris Mortis or Heroes of Horror, I think it's called Haunting Melody, that makes all foes in a 30-ft. radius shaken if they fail a save based on your perform check.

Combined with Imperious Command, it's a really good debuff. And there are ways around those pesky immunities, so...

I think ECF reprinted it,. and nerfed the save back to 10+ 1/2 level + CHA
The save is 10+1/2 level+Cha in HoH anyway. What's based off of Perform is the duration. As for Imperious Command, I'm not sure that'd work, since the feat specifically says "When you demoralize a foe", which is a specific function of the Intimidate Skill. Still, Haunting Melody is a feat to keep in mind.

Also, I knew I wasn't just imagining things. Thanks, guys.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Hitoshura

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #663 on: September 06, 2010, 05:43:48 PM »
Q 189: Is there any way for a High Level Enchanter to bypass immunity to mind-affecting abilities? I'm pretty sure i've read somewhere about a feat that removes a 'clause' of a spell, such as "Compulsion", can't seem to find it though.

Nobody?

Q 195: What's the Highest Str form for Shapechange? I can reach up to 28 HD with Reserves of Strength.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #664 on: September 06, 2010, 06:01:34 PM »
Q 196 How does an undead being gain Unholy Toughness? Like a vampire, or anything else that's got a decent CHA? It was introduced in MMIII, but only the new creatures seem to have it as an Ex ability.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Zaxter

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #665 on: September 06, 2010, 06:10:41 PM »
Q 195: What's the Highest Str form for Shapechange? I can reach up to 28 HD with Reserves of Strength.
I've only checked the SRD, but the best I'm seeing there is a Nightcrawler with 48 str. I'd search the other MMs for you, but I can't ctrl+f those.

Q 196 How does an undead being gain Unholy Toughness? Like a vampire, or anything else that's got a decent CHA? It was introduced in MMIII, but only the new creatures seem to have it as an Ex ability.
I'm pretty sure that's just a quality of those particular monsters that have it, the way that any old undead can't "get" energy drain on their attacks -- certain types just have it.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #666 on: September 06, 2010, 06:14:51 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's just a quality of those particular monsters that have it, the way that any old undead can't "get" energy drain on their attacks -- certain types just have it.
This is correct. You can't "gain" Unholy Toughness, you either have it by virtue of being a specific kind of undead or you don't. Note that even after its introduction, not all Undead printed afterwards had it.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #667 on: September 06, 2010, 06:46:42 PM »
Q197 I need some quick tips on smashing undead. Rod of Defiance, Scepter of the Netherworld, Lyre of the Restful Soul and the Ghost Net are good ideas, but may not be available. What else can you guys think of? Preferably cheap items, our funds are low (although we may consider stealing something if it's really worth it.)

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #668 on: September 06, 2010, 06:49:09 PM »
Q197 I need some quick tips on smashing undead. Rod of Defiance, Scepter of the Netherworld, Lyre of the Restful Soul and the Ghost Net are good ideas, but may not be available. What else can you guys think of? Preferably cheap items, our funds are low (although we may consider stealing something if it's really worth it.)
Define "Smashing". Any particular limits as to how?
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #669 on: September 06, 2010, 06:51:06 PM »
On the low cost end is a custom item of bless water and create water. costs under 6000 gp. Then get some dust of dryness and a 100 gallon vat. Fill the vat with holy water and throw in the dust of dryness. 100 gallons of holy water in a handy marble package.
I call it the holy hand grenade.

One the high price end, Custom item Decanter of endless holy water, but that's over 1,000,000 gp.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #670 on: September 06, 2010, 06:56:03 PM »

We're facing quite a variety of undead, so anything that useful for destroying the particularly hard-to-kill ones is what's needed. Examples are: Ghosts, Undead Swarms, Boneyards. There's also tons of huge Skeletons and Spawns of Kyuss, Shadows and possibly a vampire. We are ECL 12-13, but our funds are tied up in gear and our time is limited. We have access to a metropolis and decent contacts, but the DM rolls randomly on item availability for anything he considers expensive or rare.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #671 on: September 06, 2010, 06:58:30 PM »

We're facing quite a variety of undead, so anything that useful for destroying the particularly hard-to-kill ones is what's needed. Examples are: Ghosts, Undead Swarms, Boneyards. There's also tons of huge Skeletons and Spawns of Kyuss, Shadows and possibly a vampire. We are ECL 12-13, but our funds are tied up in gear and our time is limited. We have access to a metropolis and decent contacts, but the DM rolls randomly on item availability for anything he considers expensive or rare.
Twinned Reach Chained Heal?
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #672 on: September 06, 2010, 06:59:46 PM »
A least truedeath crystal (Magic Item Compendium 66) costs 1,000 gp and can be attached to any weapon of masterwork or better quality, causing it to deal +1d6 damage against undead.  The lesser version costs 5,000 gp, requires a +1 or better weapon, and also gives the weapon the ghost touch property.  

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #673 on: September 06, 2010, 07:12:05 PM »
doesnt the truthdeath crystal also make it so you can crit/sneak attack undead? could be usefull. relatively cheap.....
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #674 on: September 06, 2010, 07:22:33 PM »
doesnt the truthdeath crystal also make it so you can crit/sneak attack undead? could be usefull. relatively cheap.....
That would be the Greater version, for 10k, which also incorporates the two other functions.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #675 on: September 06, 2010, 07:25:52 PM »
This is correct. You can't "gain" Unholy Toughness, you either have it by virtue of being a specific kind of undead or you don't. Note that even after its introduction, not all Undead printed afterwards had it.
Yeah, but that can also be WotC being stupid too. They came up with it in MMIII. Granted they didn't go "BTW, you can add this to previous undead too for +1 CR", but I chalk that up to them being stupid, and not liking the idea of retrofitting various monsters.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #676 on: September 06, 2010, 07:31:11 PM »
Yeah, but that can also be WotC being stupid too. They came up with it in MMIII. Granted they didn't go "BTW, you can add this to previous undead too for +1 CR", but I chalk that up to them being stupid, and not liking the idea of retrofitting various monsters.
not every undead (not even intelligent undead) have that ability post MM3, though. Thatsaid, check in theback of the mm where it talks about Null (-) ability scores. It mentions creatures with a null con use cha whenever they would use con. There's limits, but it may be arguable all undead can do that, and the MM3 just called it out because people were missing it prior...
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #677 on: September 06, 2010, 08:48:33 PM »
not every undead (not even intelligent undead) have that ability post MM3, though. Thatsaid, check in theback of the mm where it talks about Null (-) ability scores. It mentions creatures with a null con use cha whenever they would use con. There's limits, but it may be arguable all undead can do that, and the MM3 just called it out because people were missing it prior...
The closest you can legally get is an Undead Cleric that goes through Walker in the Waste or uses an epic spell.

And no, Undead only use their Cha modifier for Concentration checks and save DC's that would normally be based on Con (such as poison and breath weapons).  Note that the second part of this only applies to creatures that were always Undead (i.e., not templates).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 08:50:06 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Cannotthink

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #678 on: September 06, 2010, 09:23:19 PM »
Q169
If I initiate a special bull rush attempt in which I do not move, such as with the feat Knockback, am I still limited to pushing an opponent only as much as my movement limit as an ordinary bull rush?

Q170
If I manage to use both the Driving Attack and Knockback feats in the same attack, how far is the opponent pushed?

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #679 on: September 06, 2010, 09:50:58 PM »
Q198
Is the DFA required to have Cha 11 for their bonus feat, dragontouched?
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress