Author Topic: Simple Q&A 16: Has Anyone Really Been Far Even As ...  (Read 126834 times)

weenog

• Grape ape
Re: Simple Q&A16: Has Anyone Really Been Far Even As ...
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 02:29:24 AM »
Lost Empires of Faerun.

Why exactly is the vulnerability to rust attacks a big deal?
Thanks.

The same reason being vulnerable to cold is: "They seem to have got a memo that you're weak against X. It's almost like they've researched the guys who keep interfering with their plans, and learned how to kill you all." "So everyone has a X weapon right now?" "It sure appears like that."
 :chairhit

220. Whatever my one vulnerability is, I will fake a different one. For example, ordering all mirrors removed from the palace, screaming and flinching whenever someone accidentally holds up a mirror, etc. In the climax when the hero whips out a mirror and thrusts it at my face, my reaction will be "Hmm...I think I need a shave."
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 02:33:38 AM »
Lost Empires of Faerun.

Thanks.

The same reason being vulnerable to cold is: "They seem to have got a memo that you're weak against X. It's almost like they've researched the guys who keep interfering with their plans, and learned how to kill you all." "So everyone has a X weapon right now?" "It sure appears like that."

If they're attacking with rusting grasp or similar (3d6 points of damage +1 per caster level (maximum +15) per successful attack) you're arguably getting off easy.  It's a relatively ineffectual attack type, so if they focus on that (which does nothing whatsoever against your other party members), who cares?

I think it's just an exception to your general immunities, so again, who cares?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 02:35:13 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Know Your Meme
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 02:37:34 AM »
The diplomancer just finished upgrading his character. He's at +101 on his diplomacy. I really need to do something about that.
He's a telepath psion/bard/marshall/elf paragon. He's got both. I've got a few constructs ready for him. I had animals and plants too, but he's got speak with animals and plants too.

Lost Empires of Faerun.

Thanks.

220. Whatever my one vulnerability is, I will fake a different one. For example, ordering all mirrors removed from the palace, screaming and flinching whenever someone accidentally holds up a mirror, etc. In the climax when the hero whips out a mirror and thrusts it at my face, my reaction will be "Hmm...I think I need a shave."
I wish it was that easy. The DM's minions are too accurate. "Oh look, a red dragon. I wonder if cold works against him. Oh look, it does."

If they're attacking with rusting grasp or similar (3d6 points of damage +1 per caster level (maximum +15) per successful attack) you're arguably getting off easy.  It's a relatively ineffectual attack type, so if they focus on that (which does nothing whatsoever against your other party members), who cares?
Because it means that they'll focus on the half-iron golem with that, while going after the others with their weaknesses. That's the problem with playing what we have. The villains always find out what we're weak against, and use it to stop us. That's why we're really thinking of going for an evil campaign next time around and really research our characters so that it can't be done as easily. Nothing sucks more than a barrage of blasphemy, then seeing the red dragon getting raped with frost weapons. Considering everytime we die, we get worse (in theory), we'd kind of like not giving the DM the ability to add on tons of templates, or taking away feats from us (the red dragon was killed not that long ago, and he was stripped of a feat and had it replaced by one the DM chose).
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 02:41:23 AM »
Step 1: have everyone buy hats of disguise.
Step 2: Randomize everybody's personalities.  Put them in a sealed envelope.
Step 3: Everyone trades character sheets so they're playing a guy with the same appearance.  Don't tell the DM this
Step 4: When the inevitable surprise attack happens, track damage and perform attacks as the character you *actually* are, not the one you're disguised as.
If the DM starts calling you on it, hand him the sealed envelope. 
Planetouched Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 02:42:56 AM »
Step 1: have everyone buy hats of disguise.
Step 2: Randomize everybody's personalities.  Put them in a sealed envelope.
Step 3: Everyone trades character sheets so they're playing a guy with the same appearance.  Don't tell the DM this
Step 4: When the inevitable surprise attack happens, track damage and perform attacks as the character you *actually* are, not the one you're disguised as.
If the DM starts calling you on it, hand him the sealed envelope.
Three words: "True Seeing" and "Scent".

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 02:44:49 AM »
Well, ONE trick you can use against the most common rusting attack(the grasp) is simply Spell Immunity(Rusting Grasp), he'd have to cook up some custom rust attack then. Which he will. And make it no save no SR.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 02:45:27 AM »
Spellblade(rusting grasp)
Planetouched Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2010, 02:50:58 AM »
Well, ONE trick you can use against the most common rusting attack(the grasp) is simply Spell Immunity(Rusting Grasp), he'd have to cook up some custom rust attack then. Which he will. And make it no save no SR.
Make that an item I guess. Won't be that expensive at this level, I wouldn't think.
Oh I'm sure he'll find something with a rusting breath weapon. Or just send an army of advanced HD rust monsters after the character.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2010, 02:52:26 AM »
The diplomancer just finished upgrading his character. He's at +101 on his diplomacy. I really need to do something about that.
He's a telepath psion/bard/marshall/elf paragon. He's got both. I've got a few constructs ready for him. I had animals and plants too, but he's got speak with animals and plants too.
I'd recommend throwing something at him that the only viable way to talk to is that 17th monk ability.

Q 8: Is there a hand book on the creation of base weapons and armor, aka no magic enhancements, just material crafting options, and weapon templates?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2010, 03:13:11 AM »
Make that an item I guess. Won't be that expensive at this level, I wouldn't think.
Oh I'm sure he'll find something with a rusting breath weapon. Or just send an army of advanced HD rust monsters after the character.
Half rust dragon rust monsters.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2010, 03:19:26 AM »
Half rust dragon rust monsters.
...... :o I shudder at the thought, but yeah I can see him doing that. And then adding the breath weapon feats so he can get them every 1d4-1 rounds.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2010, 03:49:47 AM »
Q 9 Where can I find the Ring of Mind Blank?

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2010, 03:55:10 AM »
Are you drunk?
:lmao

he's quoting some dude I have quoted in my sig -- I think it even links to the original thread.
go ahead .... it's good fun.
Its more than just him

and no I would consider it immoral for me to drink or get drunk

A3: I know who I'm talking to, but no DM worth his salt uses epic rules when they differ from non-epic rulings. DiplomaNcy is a problem but regular diplomacy shouldn't be usable against PCs anyways...
tl;dr yes
That was lulzy. Thanks for the lulz.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2010, 04:03:22 AM »

DMGII has Ring of Mental Fortitude, which gives you just that. 110000gp tho.
Alternatively: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalitems.htm#conceal
Planetouched Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2010, 04:04:33 AM »

DMGII has Ring of Mental Fortitude, which gives you just that. 110000gp tho.
Alternatively: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalitems.htm#conceal
Really? Hmm. I'll have to ask the DM then because the red dragon has such a ring. I wonder where he got it.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2010, 04:17:43 AM »
There's also some sort of spiffy hat from Magic of Faerun that gives mind blank + freedom of movement + spell turning... I think underdark has some armor property as well.

Probably a custom item, though.
Planetouched Handbook

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2010, 05:02:06 AM »
Q 10: Is there any feat or class ability that counts as power attack for prerequisits?
I'd love anything since me and my buddies are having a barbarians with less then 13 strenght arena battle.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2010, 05:04:02 AM »
There's also some sort of spiffy hat from Magic of Faerun that gives mind blank + freedom of movement + spell turning... I think underdark has some armor property as well.

Probably a custom item, though.
It might be. I found that underdark item too. It's illithid armor.

Q 11 How many times a day can you put a metamagic feat on spells? Someone told me no more than five.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2010, 05:06:07 AM »
As long as you have slots to blow on them, who's the someone smoking something?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2010, 05:07:15 AM »
As long as you have slots to blow on them, who's the someone smoking something?
Good to know. And I meant 5 each (ie 5 Quicken, 5 Enlarge, etc). But if there's no limit, that makes things easier.