Author Topic: Simple Q&A 16: Has Anyone Really Been Far Even As ...  (Read 127136 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Simple Q&A 16: Has Anyone Really Been Far Even As ...
« Reply #160 on: August 26, 2010, 06:42:55 PM »
Q 48 What's better to take for a barbarian with the CC lion totem variant? Ferocity or Whirling Frenzy? Or is it a matter of opinion?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #161 on: August 26, 2010, 06:49:28 PM »
Q46

Is there any feat or class feature out there that helps a cleric cast [evil] or [good] spells if he is of the opposite alignment?
A46: Not serving a deity helps, as clerical alignment restrictions are based both on the alignment of your deity and your own. As above, having an alignment subtype is very helpful in trying to have two conflicting alignments at once. (Plus, it's piss-easy for Incarnates to abuse them.)

Depending on how you or your DM interprets things, that whole business might fall under a "code of conduct", which Heretic of the Faith (Power of Faerun) lets you ignore.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #162 on: August 26, 2010, 06:55:57 PM »
Um, metamagic school focus and practical metamagic?
Arcane Thesis?
Do any of those work when using the Metamagic Spell Trigger feat? (Per my original inquiry, that's what I'm looking for, sorry for the confusion.)  Practical Metamagic specifically states it works on spells you "cast spontaneously", so I don't think it will work with the feat.  I'll need to read up on the others I suppose...

The Easy Metamagic feat from Dragon 325?
The DM isn't allowing any Dragon magazine stuff unfortunately.

Edit:  Just checked.  Metamagic School Focus should definitely work, in my opinion.  Arcane Thesis (which I was already considering) is iffy.  I'll have to run that by the DM I suppose.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 07:04:21 PM by Ithamar »
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: August 26, 2010, 07:38:13 PM »
Q 49 Is there a limit to the number of sorcerer bloodline feats you're allowed to take for a single character?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #164 on: August 26, 2010, 07:50:56 PM »
Q 49 Is there a limit to the number of sorcerer bloodline feats you're allowed to take for a single character?
You mean the dragon compendium ones?  If so, page 88 says "A character may choose only one base bloodline feat. "
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: August 26, 2010, 08:05:05 PM »
Um, metamagic school focus and practical metamagic?
Arcane Thesis?
Do any of those work when using the Metamagic Spell Trigger feat? (Per my original inquiry, that's what I'm looking for, sorry for the confusion.)  Practical Metamagic specifically states it works on spells you "cast spontaneously", so I don't think it will work with the feat.  I'll need to read up on the others I suppose...

The Easy Metamagic feat from Dragon 325?
The DM isn't allowing any Dragon magazine stuff unfortunately.

Edit:  Just checked.  Metamagic School Focus should definitely work, in my opinion.  Arcane Thesis (which I was already considering) is iffy.  I'll have to run that by the DM I suppose.
there's nothing iffy about arcane thesis. Also, check the errata just because it's good to do so. But for a no-dragon-magazine prepared arcane caster without incantatrix, etc: Arcane Thesis and metamagic school focus is all you've got.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #166 on: August 26, 2010, 08:23:57 PM »
Q50:  OK, the DM is accepting the use of Arcane Thesis (Draconic Polymorph) to work with Persistent for the Metamagic Spell Trigger trick.  Now the real question:  Has anyone done a Handbook / Guide for the best polymorph forms to maximize combat ability (hopefully including Outsiders)?  If so, link please?  If not, is there interest in seeing one created?  If there is, I could try to work on one in my spare time.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #167 on: August 26, 2010, 08:25:40 PM »
Q50:  OK, the DM is accepting the use of Arcane Thesis (Draconic Polymorph) to work with Persistent for the Metamagic Spell Trigger trick.  Now the real question:  Has anyone done a Handbook / Guide for the best polymorph forms to maximize combat ability (hopefully including Outsiders)?  If so, link please?  If not, is there interest in seeing one created?  If there is, I could try to work on one in my spare time.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872134/The_Complete_Polymorph_Thread_3.5
Planetouched Handbook

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #168 on: August 26, 2010, 08:32:04 PM »
That thread is a thing of beauty.  Thanks, TML!

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #169 on: August 26, 2010, 09:07:11 PM »
Q51 I need to make some kind of healer character, I am bored with all of the ideas I can come up with. What are some fun ideas for a healer that are unusual, amusing, or just uncommon. Needs to be something that becomes useful faster than Rainbow Servant and that's too overdone.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #170 on: August 26, 2010, 09:09:39 PM »
Q51 I need to make some kind of healer character, I am bored with all of the ideas I can come up with. What are some fun ideas for a healer that are unusual, amusing, or just uncommon. Needs to be something that becomes useful faster than Rainbow Servant and that's too overdone.

Lightning based DFA with a party of mechantrixes.
Dread necromancer in a party of undead.
Master Brewer in a party of poison-healing dwarves.

Dread necromancer with shape soulmeld: lightning gauntlets, poison healer, and ten ranks in profession(brewer).
Planetouched Handbook

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #171 on: August 26, 2010, 09:14:15 PM »

Dread necromancer with shape soulmeld: lightning gauntlets, poison healer, and ten ranks in profession(brewer).

Those mostly rely on me being able to control what other people will play as, which is unpossible.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #172 on: August 26, 2010, 09:17:56 PM »
Q 52 Aren't we all one big happy (grumpy) family here, or what ...  :fu ... ??

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #173 on: August 26, 2010, 09:46:04 PM »

Those mostly rely on me being able to control what other people will play as, which is unpossible.
Halfling spellthief with the healing dragonmark?  Steal your own SLA, use it, steal it, use it, et cetera?
Planetouched Handbook

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2010, 10:14:19 PM »
Halfling spellthief with the healing dragonmark?  Steal your own SLA, use it, steal it, use it, et cetera?

A52
This is why I love you guys.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #175 on: August 26, 2010, 10:29:16 PM »
Q 48 What's better to take for a barbarian with the CC lion totem variant? Ferocity or Whirling Frenzy? Or is it a matter of opinion?
It seems Whirling Frenzy gives you everything Ferocity does, except one more attack, no +2 Initiative, and -2 attack penalty for one round of your Whirling Frenzy.

Whirling Frenzy is the obvious choice.

However, if you are trying to pump Dexterity for something other than AC and Reflex saves (such as Initiative or that race which can tie Dexterity to their spellcasting) and you think one more regular attack won't help, go for Ferocity. That's a pretty damn small subset of cases and generally you'd already know beforehand why you were picking Ferocity over Whirling Frenzy.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #176 on: August 26, 2010, 11:08:11 PM »

A51:
Worldthought Medic.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #177 on: August 26, 2010, 11:15:07 PM »
Q53: Is Sinfire's Totemist diary on this forum somewhere?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

TC X0 Lt 0X

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #178 on: August 26, 2010, 11:38:07 PM »
Q54
Can a Planar Shepherd be linked to a Demiplane?
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #179 on: August 26, 2010, 11:44:14 PM »
Q55:  Is the term "Soft Cover" used elsewhere than PHB page 151?  Trying to determine whether that's a separate thing from Cover, or just a modification of Cover assumed to be used in place of Cover any time it would apply.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."