Author Topic: Glass Cannon Spell Selection  (Read 5150 times)

genuine

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Glass Cannon Spell Selection
« on: August 24, 2010, 01:23:07 PM »
I'm building my first ever blaster wizard. I've ran a lot of God-types recently, as well as quite a few BSFs, but I feel like flinging a few maximized fireballs and crisping some undead.

However, I'm struggling a bit with feat and spell selection. What spell/feat combos do the optimizers here prefer for plain old HP damage?

(For reference, I am fully aware that blaster-casters aren't the most 'optimized,' and certainly aren't the most effective. I just think one would be fun to try. Also, because I'm building an Eldritch Theurge bonus kudos for touch spells and area spells.)

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: Glass Cannon Spell Selection
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 01:51:27 PM »
Energy Substitution: Sonic

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

genuine

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 01:52:50 PM »

So, I get that that will effectively increase damage because hardly anything has sonic resistance, is there another reason?

ImmortalSoul

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 01:55:59 PM »
Sculpt Spell maybe. Depends a bit on your group.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 02:06:47 PM »
I happen to be a big fan of Energy Substitution (electricity) + Born of 3 Thunders = lots of nifty secondary effects.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

DMM4ever

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 02:10:17 PM »
Clerity, then cast a born of 3 thunders spell at anytime in the initiative order to maximize daze synergies.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 02:16:04 PM »

So, I get that that will effectively increase damage because hardly anything has sonic resistance, is there another reason?
yes.. because you can also take Energy Admixture and Double the Damage output for each attack

usually Ray casters are very effective as Blasters .... due to Ray spells usually are low level, thus you can stack a Lot of Metamagic on top of them .... usually i will choose a Fire Themed build .... since the feat: Searing Spell ... makes them very effective vs Fire immune or Resistant creatures ... thus you can damage everything ... notice:[spoiler]
Searing Spell
Type: Metamagic
Source: Sandstorm
Your fire spells are so hot that they can damage creatures that normally have resistance or immunity to fire.
Benefit: A searing spell is so hot that it ignores the resistance to fire of creatures affected by the spell, and affected creatures with immunity to fire still take half damage. This feat can be applied only to spells with the fire descriptor.
Creatures with the cold subtype take double damage from a searing spell. Creatures affected by a searing spell are still entitled to whatever saving throw the spell normally allows. A searing spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

[/spoiler]

i usually start out as a Human and do this:

Silverblood Human ..... dragonblooded subtype for later use

Dragonblooded Sorceror 2/ Warlock 3/ Eldritch Theurge 10/ xxxxx 5

Feats:
Bloodline of Fire(Human Bonus)
Draconic heritage(Dragonblooded bonus)
1st lvl: Versatile Spellcaster
3rd Lvl: Heighten Spell
6th lvl: Split Ray
9th lvl: Searing Spell
12th lvl: Practical Metamagic(Heighten)
15th lvl: Twin Spell
18th lvl: ......

very easy ... and stays usefull even at high levels... lots of fun ... Scorching Ray is the Main Spell you need

:D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 02:21:18 PM by carnivore »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 02:33:32 PM »
^^
If you're going sorc, pick up Arcane Fusion, it's a thing of beauty.
I happen to be a big fan of Energy Substitution (electricity) + Born of 3 Thunders = lots of nifty secondary effects.
That thing is gorgeous with any damage over time effects. Born of Three Thunders Acid Fog for one, even without using celerity you come out on top.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

genuine

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 02:48:09 PM »
Hmmm... so here's a question. Lets say I'm starting with a fireball affected by Energy substituion (making it a Lightning-ball) and then Born of Three thunders, making it deal 1/2 electricity and 1/2 sonic damage, with all the other effects. Then I use Eldritch Spellweave to apply Vitriolic blast to it.

Does that mean that my fireball now does acid damage (with an extra 2d6), ignores SR, and stuns and knocks prone? I guess what I want to check is which energy switch would take precedence.

Also, can Searing spell still apply to a spell also affected by Vitriolic blast (like scorching ray)?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 02:52:06 PM by genuine »

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 03:01:52 PM »
Doc Holiday

Grey Elf Warlock3/wizard3/ET10/fatespinner4

ACFs: martial wizard (UA/SRD), elf generalist (RotW)

1-point blank shot
3-knowledge devotion
Martial wizard feat-precise shot
6-practiced spellcaster
9-empower spell
12-split ray
15-improved initative
18-quicken spell

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 03:15:25 PM »
I'm partial to either Unseen Seers (15d6 sneak+spell damage) for reliability or Frost Mages (with all the +damage per die) to pure ownage when it comes to blasty wizards.

The former is a lot more pinpoint whilst the latter can toss out nice blasts.

Also, Incantatrix for Metamagic-shenanigans.

Oh, you wanted a warlock mix... then I'm out of ideas.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 03:23:04 PM »
I'm reluctant to admit that I like nova casting, but this one always bugs me. Don't won't worry though. Your DM will find ways to beat this. [evasion/SR/counterspelling]

Sudden Widen + Sudden Empower + Sudden Maximize + Energy Substitution (sonic) + Fireburst, Greater (5th lvl wiz/sorc spell, from Spell Compendium, d10 per caster lvl dmg in a 10'->20' burst around you)

At lvl 10, that's 100 + 5d10 sonic damage, which should take out most enemies of that level. Later on, just add in some Arcane Admixture, and you'll be set. When the damage done outpaces the HP you gain at each level, there's going to be a problem...

But anyway, isn't warmage the best blasting mage?

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 03:29:17 PM »
But anyway, isn't warmage the best blasting mage?

Sorry but the wizard and sorcerer have it beat for different reasons.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 04:00:34 PM »
A warning with Born of Three Thunders though, instantaneous spells are generally not good ideas to put it on unless you're gonna get dazed anyway(Celerity or a second quickened Three Thunders spell), or have something to soak it up(extra turns by any means).

Warmage...it's usable as a blaster, but the bonus damage from the edge isn't quite big enough to warrant what it loses in flexibility. Even a pure blaster need some variety instead of CLd6 spells.

As for the suddens, they're nice, but best used sparingly and mixed with metamagic rods. You don't exactly have infinite feats to blow, so the benefit must match the cost.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 04:04:55 PM »
Born of Three Thunders indicates it stuns & knocks prone when the spell "concludes".  So why would you NOT want it on an instantaneous spell?  If you put it on an acid cloud (or other long duration effect), your foe will probably be out of the cloud long before they are at risk of being stunned and prone'd.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 04:42:06 PM »
The problem with the sudden metamagic feats are that they work 1/day and I'm not going to burn a feat for a 1/day ability generally. You're better off buying metamagic rods.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 05:05:52 PM »
Take a look at this guy. Other than the fact my group vastly improved the Sorcerer, it's stuff you can use.

Starting from level 15, he'd have Mastery of Elements, which means nothing can ignore his damage.

Mastery of Elements

You're better off with stuff like Silver Pyromancer or Sanctified One of Kord for Unresistable Damage, but I couldn't do that.

Oh, and just so you know, there isn't an Energy Sub: Sonic. Only Fire/Cold/Lightning/Acid.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:10:35 PM by CantripN »
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 06:55:53 PM »
Born of Three Thunders indicates it stuns & knocks prone when the spell "concludes".  So why would you NOT want it on an instantaneous spell?  If you put it on an acid cloud (or other long duration effect), your foe will probably be out of the cloud long before they are at risk of being stunned and prone'd.
'Concludes' is pretty vague, as it either generates the thunderclap as the spell completes or when it's duration runs out. It could also be read as fluff, in which case it actually goes off on any creature which takes damage from the spell.

So that depends on interpretation. The idea with acid fog assumes the effect triggers on damage.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 08:00:58 PM »
The best blasting spell in the game is telekinesis. 
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 08:17:37 PM »
And how would one go about getting unlimited access to this spell? ;)
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!