Author Topic: Full Initiators That Ignore Strikes  (Read 5902 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Full Initiators That Ignore Strikes
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 12:27:53 AM »
Warblade Levels count as Fighter levels -2 for prerequisites.  Thus, a Fighter4/Warblade1 counts as a Fighter3 in terms of prereqs, and messes with my sensibilities, especially if I have Weapon Specialization.
Yeah, that makes no sense: I did Warbalde 1, and I no longer qualify for Weapon Specialization.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 11:12:53 PM »
Warblade Levels count as Fighter levels -2 for prerequisites.  Thus, a Fighter4/Warblade1 counts as a Fighter3 in terms of prereqs, and messes with my sensibilities, especially if I have Weapon Specialization.
Yeah, that makes no sense: I did Warbalde 1, and I no longer qualify for Weapon Specialization.
o.O

Don't use Weapon Aptitude to qualify, use your fighter level instead.

Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 07:51:57 PM »
o.O

Don't use Weapon Aptitude to qualify, use your fighter level instead.
Except you're not "using" Weapon Aptitude.  You just flat-out have Weapon Aptitude.  (The class feature really ought to say that Weapon Aptitude starts having that effect at class level 3 or at least that Weapon Aptitude can't reduce effective Fighter level, and it's a reasonable interpretation.  However, as written, a level 1 Warblade counts as a level -1 Fighter, and that explicitly stacks with any actual fighter levels.)

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2011, 01:04:34 AM »
ug, so fighter 1 / warblade 1 counts as fighter 0.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

DrPhro

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2011, 04:32:24 AM »
I guess this qualifies as unoptimization, but it's not like you're missing out on much.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2011, 04:46:41 AM »
ug, so fighter 1 / warblade 1 counts as fighter 0.

Yeah, so another reason Weapon Spec sucks: Divide By Weapon Aptitude=Fail.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2011, 05:44:49 AM »
Personally, I never liked the idea of feats that require a level in a particular class.  Would Weapon Specialization really be that much more powerful with a prerequisite of +4 BAB?

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2011, 06:10:47 AM »
I think it's more to give fighters something just for fighters.

Why there are restrictions functioning off fighter level?

...So no one dips fighter to steal all the "fighter only" feats?
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2011, 01:40:04 PM »
It might have worked....if any of those feats are worth anything.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 02:14:47 PM »
It might have worked....if any of those feats are worth anything.
Exactly.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2011, 07:47:25 PM »
Except you're not "using" Weapon Aptitude.  You just flat-out have Weapon Aptitude.
Weapon Aptitude does not say your fighter level is X, it says you qualify for X using (warblade-2)+fighter. You still have your fighter levels.

If you were Bard 10 and picked up a level in Sublime Chord, both casting sides qualify for Abjuration Champion. By your logic, I've lost 1st level bardic spells at this point.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2011, 08:56:04 PM »
Except you're not "using" Weapon Aptitude.  You just flat-out have Weapon Aptitude.
Weapon Aptitude does not say your fighter level is X, it says you qualify for X using (warblade-2)+fighter. You still have your fighter levels.

If you were Bard 10 and picked up a level in Sublime Chord, both casting sides qualify for Abjuration Champion. By your logic, I've lost 1st level bardic spells at this point.
Not at all.  Since ((Warblade-2)+Fighter) is less than (Fighter), you may disqualify yourself from Weapon Specialization or something similar.  This is basic math.  Yes, you still have the Fighter levels, but (Warblade-2) can easily equal -1, so you have (Fighter-1) levels for meeting prerequisites.

Sublime Chord casting, on the other hand, is a completely seperate set of casting.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2011, 09:08:14 PM »

Again, you are not "using" an effective Fighter level from Warblade.  Warblade provides an effective Fighter level with which you may qualify for feats, and that effective Fighter level stacks with your actual fighter level.  Sadly, as the ability is written, your effective Fighter level due to Warblade levels can be negative.  (This is not how I would adjudicate the situation as a DM.  It is simply the way the math works out due to poor editing.)

Also, Sublime Chord does not qualify for Abjurant Champion because a Sublime Chord cannot cast 1st level spells.  Gladly, Bards can, Abjurant Champion doesn't care what level spells a particular class can cast when it advances that class's spellcasting, and Sublime Chord does not modify spells known or available spell slots of other spellcasting classes (and I have no idea what "logic" you thought I was using that would imply that).  Note that a Bard 9/Sorcerer 1 could drop his Bard caster level down to 2 upon adding a level of Sublime Chord (by determining Sublime Chord caster level based on the sum of Sublime Chord and Sorcerer), although I can't readily think of any good reason to do so as opposed to the alternative (or even a good reason to play such a character in the first place).  However, this wouldn't change the Bard's spells known or spell slots, only the level-dependent parameters of his spells.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2011, 09:31:39 PM »
Weapon Aptitude reads: "You qualify for feats that usually require a minimum number of fighter levels (such as Weapon Specialization) as if you had a fighter level equal to your warblade level -2... These effective fighter levels stack with any actual fighter levels you have."

That's not optional.  That's just how it works... you don't get to chose not to use it, any more than you could chose not to be effected by a War Hulk's "No Time To Think" ability or chose not to use the Blighter's ability to lose its Druid casting.  So yes, it does lead to the silliness that a Warblade 1/Fighter 4 doesn't qualify for Weapon Specialization even though a Fighter 4 does, because you now qualify for it as though you had (-1+4) Fighter levels.  Moral of the story: don't dip 1 level of Warblade if you really care about Weapon Specialization so much.

I have no idea where this bit about Bards and Sublime Chords comes from.

JaronK