Author Topic: [Challenge] Dwarf vs Warforged  (Read 4933 times)

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: [Challenge] Dwarf vs Warforged
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 10:02:10 PM »
Spellstoring arrows?  Hrm...  Well, for a less lenient DM, try spellstoring throwing axes...  I wouldn't let that fly as a DM, but it might work.

Anyways, its no more of a pain to do an Artificer than a Wizard.  Just don't let the DM railroad you down a campaign with no down time.  It really sucks when you don't even have enough time to spend your craft reserve.  Always talk to the DM about it before the campaign.

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 11:05:06 PM »
Warforged, using UMD to Wildshape with Druid's Vestment, and crafting custom items that allow him to Polymorph.

Call yourself Optimus Prime.

'Cuz nothing beats actually roleplaying a Transformer.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 11:13:03 PM »
Spellstoring arrows?  Hrm...  Well, for a less lenient DM, try spellstoring throwing axes...  I wouldn't let that fly as a DM, but it might work.
Spell-storing arrows (make 'em from aurorum to keep them from being wasted when breaking) are perfectly legal to make, but they're not found randomly by rolling on a table. They're 1/50 the cost of throwing axes and you can make touch-attacks with dye arrows (and they have much much MUCH longer range) so there's all sorts of bennies when compared to other forms of ranged weaponry.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 11:16:40 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 11:29:49 PM »
Of course, using weapon augmentation and picking up doomwarding (PGtF) is really cool.  7 free action (anyone's turn) rerolls(any dice) for a trivial price.

That's right, you can reroll HP.  You can reroll the weather
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:17:58 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 12:10:34 AM »
Spell-storing arrows (make 'em from aurorum to keep them from being wasted when breaking) are perfectly legal to make, but they're not found randomly by rolling on a table. They're 1/50 the cost of throwing axes and you can make touch-attacks with dye arrows (and they have much much MUCH longer range) so there's all sorts of bennies when compared to other forms of ranged weaponry.
Heh, well it is the Min/Max boards...  Why not?  And I have played with 1 DM that would be OK with it.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 12:55:33 AM »
Anyways, its no more of a pain to do an Artificer than a Wizard.  Just don't let the DM railroad you down a campaign with no down time.  It really sucks when you don't even have enough time to spend your craft reserve.  Always talk to the DM about it before the campaign.
If this does end up being the case, then make sure to get a Dedicated Wright ASAP as that cuts the time you actually spend on crafting to 1 hour /item.  It won't be finished for some time, but you yourself only spent that amount of time.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Dawnmor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 03:48:52 AM »
Where is the Aurorum material at?.

The Party composition atm is, Divine soul, cleric, selfish rogue who cant work as part of the party, a social rogue who does work with the party, Wildshape Ranger.

I can play a Wizard, but its limited due to the fact it doesnt have spell trigger item.

My DM incurs XP penalties if you go a Rogue 1, Fighter 10 and your favored class in a Cleric.  Type of deal.

As I said before the versatility of an artificer is appealing but at the same time playing one is a challenge, which for the moment is what im looking for.  Artificer is as challenging as you can get in my book.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 08:29:15 AM »
Where is the Aurorum material at?.

The Party composition atm is, Divine soul, cleric, selfish rogue who cant work as part of the party, a social rogue who does work with the party, Wildshape Ranger.
Book of Exalted Deeds is where aurorum is from. It can be reassembled if it's ever broken, so you don't have to worry about ammo breaking when it hits (toss returning on there to pull the pieces back when you fire it and you won't have to collect them afterward).

Sounds like you could use a buffer, rather than a blaster. You have the direct-damage stuff taken care of, so supporting your team would be ideal. A buffer-ificer is the way to go, so build yourself up for buffing your party, and it won't matter how powerful you are; they'll be just as good as you are. I say make lots of buffing scrolls, such as haste and polymorph, and do the spell-storing dye arrow thing with archery as a secondary focus, and you can be both a buffer and a direct-damage dealer with archery if you like, though I'd focus less on doing damage and more on buffing, personally. To keep yourself protected, feel free to make a few perma-minion scrolls to keep yourself bodyguarded (but don't throw them into melee unless you want to give the rogues flanking opportunities). Some animate dead scrolls and some black sand would be good for this.

I can play a Wizard, but its limited due to the fact it doesnt have spell trigger item.
No idea what you're talking about here. Mind going into more detail about what you mean? Because wizards can use spell trigger items just fine; you'll just have to make some for yourself, if the DM doesn't allow you to get any otherwise.

My DM incurs XP penalties if you go a Rogue 1, Fighter 10 and your favored class in a Cleric.  Type of deal.
Then don't multiclass. Artificer 20 would be your best bet, by far, whether or not multiclassing penalties are in effect (which are stupid anyway, to say the least).

As I said before the versatility of an artificer is appealing but at the same time playing one is a challenge, which for the moment is what im looking for.  Artificer is as challenging as you can get in my book.
That's the gods-honest truth. Artificers are one of the most complicated classes in the game, what with all the bookwork, especially upon character creation.

As for the build, I'd suggest looking up some craft cost reduction handbooks, build yourself some dedicated wrights (Eberron Campaign Setting) take feats such as Apprentice (Crafting) (DMG II), Extraordinary Artisan and Legendary Artisan (ECS), Magical Artisan (Faerun Campaign Setting, I believe), and a couple of warforged artificer ACFs (Races of Eberron), and you should be well on your way to making your crafting pool outlast your available money by a good long margin (which allows your party to chip in if they want you to craft for them). It's good stuff.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Dawnmor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 03:34:06 PM »
Warforged Artificer ACF?

Where is the Rye Dye thing from?

No idea what you're talking about here. Mind going into more detail about what you mean? Because wizards can use spell trigger items just fine; you'll just have to make some for yourself, if the DM doesn't allow you to get any otherwise.

I dont remember what I mean LOL.  I think what I meant was that a Artificer can tag on several metamagic feats onto a wand and BAM! you drain charges sure to be decent - godly, but as a wizard who tries to do the same thing, they cant.

Wand Question?: Wands can have a max of a 4th level spell into it right? or can I put in higher level spells into wands instead? or am I stuck with just 4th level like my DM says I am?

Not sure of how to play a buffer early on?, your infusions are limited and the only real person in teh group who has weapons have a 2d4 bite attack instead, how can a early bufficer beable to increase his goodness?

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 03:45:16 PM »
You're stuck with 4th level spells, but that cap does not apply to metamagics, so its totally doable to make a wand of maximize enervation.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 04:18:45 PM »
Warforged Artificer ACF?
Warforged Artificier Racial Substitution Levels.  Found in Races of Eberron.  Two of them are pretty much no-brainers to take (the first one definitely is as you lose nothing).

Even without them, I'd still go Warforged over Dwarf for Artificier.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2010, 10:13:37 PM »
If this does end up being the case, then make sure to get a Dedicated Wright ASAP as that cuts the time you actually spend on crafting to 1 hour /item.  It won't be finished for some time, but you yourself only spent that amount of time.
Right, and there's nothing saying you can't have multiples of these running simultaneously.  I just say make sure to talk to the DM so that you'll be able to use at least your class feature (craft reserve).  Otherwise, it probably would be better to play a Wizard.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2010, 04:08:34 PM »
Right, and there's nothing saying you can't have multiples of these running simultaneously.  I just say make sure to talk to the DM so that you'll be able to use at least your class feature (craft reserve).  Otherwise, it probably would be better to play a Wizard.
Actually it does say you can't have multiple up and running. It specifies that it crafts in place of you, so you can't even craft while using it.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2010, 04:53:28 PM »
Actually it does say you can't have multiple up and running. It specifies that it crafts in place of you, so you can't even craft while using it.
Huh I don't remember that...  Have to look again.

In the 3 campaigns I was in previous to the current one we would get about 2 days per level for down time.  So I say caution.