Author Topic: Factotums and the level 10 same game test.  (Read 21574 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Factotums and the level 10 same game test.
« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2010, 12:13:29 PM »
So, are you OK with using "alter self" to turn into a fifth level sorcerer?  Since you get their "physical qualities" and all that.

Or would you rather spellcasters be able to mortalbane or pick up "spell-like ability focus"?  Or use "assume supernatural ability" to duplicate spellcasting.

Putting spells as (ex) is the least broken option, since it only proves problematic at levels where the game's balance is nonexistent
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 01:04:56 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

strider24seven

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Factotums and the level 10 same game test.
« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2010, 11:37:02 AM »
As the people have said before, Cunning Brilliance is a 19th level ability that has no place in a 10th level SGT.  Most threads about Factota I have read are either derailed by discussion of CB (OMG!!!11 its teh haxors- that factotum is almost as powerful as my wizard for one minute per day!!!1) or Cunning Surge (OMG!!!11 its teh haxors- that factotum can break the action economy as well as my wizard, despite not being as powerful. 

Anyway... now that my rant is out of the way, here's my opinion on the (off-topic) Ex spellcasting dilemma:

The monsters in the MM5 have their racial spellcasting labeled as Ex.  It means precisely nothing to class-based spellcasting, as abilities can easily have their types modified (think of all the ways to get spells as supernatural abilities or spell-like abilities, for example).  And, in any case, getting spellcasting with CB is not that broken, because it only gives you 7th level spells at the highest, as it is a 15th level ability (or at least should be, if people take the other interpretation that the ability simply must appear on the table and use their Factotum level rather than 15). 

2 more of my cp.