Author Topic: Final Fantasy White Mage  (Read 5508 times)

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
Final Fantasy White Mage
« on: August 09, 2010, 01:34:54 AM »
So I'm in a game based on Final Fantasy (mostly 1, but some from the other games as well) and I find myself playing the role of the white mage.  There is also a Fighter (something from ToB) a Summoner (a Sorcerer who basically only casts Summon Monster) and a Thief.

Obviously as the white mage, I am the party's healer primarily. (Yes, I'm aware this is suboptimal, however that's part of the game and part of the flavor of the party).  However, as we all know healing as a primary role is boring/terrible, therefore my character is looking for another role to play.  Because of the flavor of being a white mage, spells that do damage or feel black magicky are off limits.  That being said, sometimes I can get things added to my list for seeming white magicky.

The character is already built, a level 9 dwarf cleric, pathfinder, but I'm just looking for things to add, feats to grab as I level, or spells to be sure are memorized.  I'm considering some sort of battlefield control as I figure it will be the easiest to convince the DM it's a white mage spell!  Let me know any ideas you might have.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Final Fantasy White Mage
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 01:58:43 AM »
Isn't Holy a white magic spell?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 02:10:16 AM »

If there is a D&D spell that is flavored like Holy, it would likely be allowed.  Things like fireball and such are not.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 02:23:25 AM »
::cough::Imbued Healing::cough::Buffing::cough::
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 02:31:06 AM »

If there is a D&D spell that is flavored like Holy, it would likely be allowed.  Things like fireball and such are not.

Yeah, I guess as an ultimate holy spell you wouldn't have a good match up at this level.

Final fantasy often has charm, hold, confuse, silence and dispel as white magic.  In other words, high quality save-or-sucks with direct dnd equivalents.
Planetouched Handbook

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 02:50:46 AM »
Flame Strike. 1/2 the damage is divine. Closest thing to Holy.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

SolEiji

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Summon the Meteor Pony!
    • D&D Wiki.Org
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 02:59:23 AM »
I can offer you a homebrew Holy spell, but beyond that I second Flame Strike as your Holy O' Choice.
Got homebrew?  I keep all my 3.5 homebrew on the D&D Wiki.org!
Current Count: 1333 pages by me and climbing!

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 04:00:02 AM »
Is there a way to get flame strike, or something like it, as 100% divine damage? Maybe an exalted spell of some sort?

I know, I'll check that thread I made all those years ago!

http://web.archive.org/web/20080416122056/forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=605481

hmmmm.... there are many spells that can act kinda like Holy.  About half the spellcasting levels have cleric blasty spells that might conceivably act like divine damage, even if they might not SPECIFICALLY do divine damage... it has been a VERY VERY long time since I looked at the books where most of these were found!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 04:07:16 AM by Gavinfoxx »
BG's other resident furry!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 04:07:25 AM »
Consecrate spell or purify spell probably would do that.
Planetouched Handbook

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 05:14:26 AM »
A dip in Sanctified One of Kord would work, but it'd cost a caster level. I like Mad Linguist's route best. Consecrated/Purified Flame Strike
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 06:13:29 AM »
*Checks* Yea, consecrate spell would work GREAT with lots of the spells on that list...

Lvl 1 Lantern Light or Light of Lunia
Lvl 2 Deific Vengeance or Alicorn Lance
Lvl 3 Searing Light or Holy Storm or Spiritual Charger
Lvl 4 not a lot here that might possibly be holy themed
Lvl 5 Flame Strike or Spiritual Cavalry
Lvl 6 Bolt of Glory, Cometfall, Lucent Lance
Lvl 7 Holy Star, Righteous Smite, Righteous Burst,
Lvl 8 Nothing that you would want to use unmetamagiced, but a Consecrated Fire storm at 9th level would work great...
Lvl 9 Maybe do something with Miracle?
BG's other resident furry!

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 09:39:02 AM »
::cough::Imbued Healing::cough::Buffing::cough::

I have Imbued Healing, and I find it sort of lackluster.  I currently do some buffing, but am open to ideas of some good buffs.

Also, I am looking in to Debuffs (on the defense that Oracles are from white mages in Final Fantasy Tactics), so far I have Blindness/Deafness in mind, any other good ones to know?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
I wonder if the DM would buy Master of Radiance's 30 semi-free searing lights/sunbeams per day as holy attacks.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Sachiru

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 12:09:55 PM »
Glitterdust.

Illuminaire

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 12:23:21 PM »
Convince the GM that a FFTactics based rotating-gestalt system is where it's at?  :P

I'll make a more serious post later tonight, need to go through about a dozen FF games worth of White Mage spells and see what correlates best.

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 04:22:13 PM »
Convince the GM that a FFTactics based rotating-gestalt system is where it's at?  :P

I'll make a more serious post later tonight, need to go through about a dozen FF games worth of White Mage spells and see what correlates best.

rofl, Time Mage hasting Hoods

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 01:45:15 AM »
Looking at the list of Oracle spells from FFT:

Blind = Blindness/Deafness
Spell Absorb = Arcane Turmoil?
Don't know about the two faith changing spells or Zombie
Silence Song = Silence
Dispel Magic = Dispel Magic

Blind Rage, Confusion Song, Foxbird need parallels. 

Save or Dies are frowned on, so Petrify is a no go (and would likely be ruled black magic anyway)
Sleep is Sleep I guess, but not even worth arguing to get.
Paralyze = Hold Person?  I asked about getting Hold Monster and was turned down, I might try again.
I'm sure there's a paralell to drain life, but that would probably end up being "black" magic.

So that just leaves the three in the middle.

I'm going to start preparing Blindness/Deafness and Silence, maybe branch in to DMM/Reach for Blindness and the heals I'm already doing.  I'm sure there's other good stuff.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 01:52:00 AM »
Drain is Black magic, no two ways about it. Osmose, on the other hand, isn't, but has no D&D equivalent.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 01:53:57 AM »
Drain is Black magic, no two ways about it. Osmose, on the other hand, isn't, but has no D&D equivalent.

Yeah in this case I was just using the fact that in FFT it goes

Black Mage > Time Mage > Summoner
White Mage > Oracle > Mediator

And Drain is on the Oracle list.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 02:14:56 AM »
Come to think of it, I think ultima used to be white magic in one of the early games.
Planetouched Handbook