Author Topic: Bard/Assassin build, looking for suggestions/critique  (Read 4420 times)

Greyfell

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Bard/Assassin build, looking for suggestions/critique
« on: August 08, 2010, 09:30:34 PM »
This is the first of several bard based NPC's I've been working on for a while when I have time free.  I was
hoping for some feedback on the missing pieces, like feats, the rest of the equipment, and what zero level bard
spells you would use.

Pretty classic assassin:  can change shape/disguise (hat of disguise, alter self), move in various ways (d. door, spider climb, feather fall), hit hard (true strike or various other buffs on a death attack and/or sneak attacks) and then get the hell out of dodge.

human bard 10/assassin 10

STR 13  +1
DEX 17  +3
CON 13  +1
INT 18  +4
WIS 10  +0
CHA 18  +4

stat bumps: 4/int, 8/cha, 12/16/20 dex
HP 102 (20d6 + con bonuses)
BaB: +14/+9/+4
F/R/W:  +7/+18/+10 (base plus stats)

assassin spells known (4/4/4/4) per day (4/4/4/4)
1st: true strike, critical strike, healer's vision, combat readiness
2nd: spider climb, near horizon, phantom foe, find the gap
3rd: deeper darkness, non-detection, wraith strike, vital strike
4th: greater invisibility, dimension door, freedom of movement, ferocity of sanguine rage

bard spells known 6/4/4/4/2  per day (3/4/4/3/1)
zero:
1st: feather fall, undetectable alignment, instant diversion, improvisation
2nd: alter self, hold person, silence, wave of grief
3rd: cure serious wounds, displacement, dirge of discord, love's lament
4th: sirine's grace, spell theft

skill points: 227 20th

bard abilities:  bardic music (10/day), bardic knowledge (+14), countersong, fascinate (4 creatures), inspire

courage +2, inspire competence, suggestion, inspire greatness

assassin abilities:  sneak attack +5d6, death attack, poison use, +5 save vs. poisons, improved uncanny dodge,

hide in plain sight.

8 feats needed (if I counted right for a human 20th level)
Versatile spellcaster
Melodic Casting
Darkstalker
Poison expert (? unsure)
Poison Master (? unsure)

equipment so far and gold left over (going with DMG 20th level npc for gold)
2 x +4 weapons (enchants undecided atm)
studded leather +3 bonus
hat of disguise
bracers of murder (dotu)
trackless boots (dotu)
gloves of dex +6
minor cloak of displacement
ring of evasion
ring of arming (mic 122)

46,000 GP left

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 01:15:53 AM by Greyfell »
Yes, I'm a huge fan of 3rd edition bards.  Keep this in mind if I mention something bard-centric in response to posts.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Re: Bard/Assassin build, looking for suggestions/critique
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 09:56:25 PM »
Well, 2 feats have to be Melodic Casting and Versatile Caster. You aren't allowed to argue.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Greyfell

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:18:18 PM »
Hmm, I knew Versatile Spellcaster was good, but I never thought about having two seperate classes that can both use it.. nice!  Melodic Casting, to me at least as a true Bard-o-phile, is just amazing.  No arguing two very solid suggestions
Yes, I'm a huge fan of 3rd edition bards.  Keep this in mind if I mention something bard-centric in response to posts.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 12:01:33 AM »
Another nice idea would be to get him turning attempts somehow...

Say... how do you feel about hippos? (and more to the point, do you have Sandstorm?)

The feat Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu grants you the ability to turn/rebuke hippos as a cleric of your level. You can use divine feats with hippo-turning.

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Greyfell

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 12:41:47 AM »
Nice idea (and I actually own a copy of sandstorm, bonus.  I don't own all the books, but between me and my gaming group, I have access to just about everything but dragon magazine content) but that feat specifically says "in addition, **if** you possess turn or rebuke undead as a class feature, you can command or rebuke hippopatami"

You have to have turning ability before you gain hippo turning :)

as I'm fond of the Realms as a setting though, I might rummage through my books for a Shar-centric prestige for sneaking and killing stuff...

some of that same gaming group mentioned the 'poison expert' and 'poison master' feats to up the characters lethality.  5d6 SA and Death Attack is nice (especially with Bracers of Murder) but I think sinking some resources into poison use would increase this NPC's ability to down the target swiftly.  Thoughts?

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 01:02:33 AM »
Dang. I was going to use that feat too.  :mad

Darkstalker is a must for any sneaky character. It means people with special senses (blindsight et al) still have to roll to see that you're hiding.

If you like sneak attack, there's always craven.

Also, nice choice with the bracers. They're one of my favorite items.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 06:55:54 PM »
Bard and assassin don't mix since you kill your bardic music progression and spellcasting progression, you'd be much better off going straight bard or bard/sublime chord. Honestly the character is probably only a CR 11 at best

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 08:25:20 PM »
Bard and assassin don't mix since you kill your bardic music progression and spellcasting progression, you'd be much better off going straight bard or bard/sublime chord. Honestly the character is probably only a CR 11 at best
+1, there's a lack of synergy between the 2 classes.  I would either aim towards a highly magical assassin, either the Sublime Chord or perhaps a Wiz/Sorc going into Unseen Seer type.  Or, I'd go for just a wee bit of magic, perhaps using the Master Spellthief feat as appropriate, or even just relying on UMD or dipping some Artificer.