Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Losing the Game Edition  (Read 127632 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Losing the Game Edition
« Reply #920 on: August 24, 2010, 06:14:34 AM »
I believe 3.5 gave them weapon finesse as a bonus feat when the designers realized five minutes after publishing that it had a +1 bab requirement.
Interesting. So basically they shouldn't have gotten it.

Q 254 My inexperienced Sunday DM asked me this, and obviously I'm inexperienced as well because I couldn't answer it. What happens if you have a +1 frost, shocking, flaming, truebane composite longbow fire a +5 bane arrow?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Aharon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #921 on: August 24, 2010, 07:46:51 AM »
Q255 What happens when you cast a prismatic sphere while inside a prismatic shpere, if a) the spheres overlap exactly and b) the spheres don't overlap exactly?
By clicking this link, you open a pop-up, but I get a eurocent for my current wish, the 5th book of the Wheel of Time series. Please note that this only works if you leave the pop-up opened till it has finished loading. Thank you!

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #922 on: August 24, 2010, 07:52:27 AM »
Q 256:  What happens if your familiar is also your mount, and you share a mirror image spell with it?  The figures mimicking your actions seems to lead to weirdness.  I'm thinking either double images (1d4+X images of you riding your familiar, and 1d4+X images of your familiar bearing you), double images of your familiar only (1d4+X images of you riding your familiar, and 1d4+X images of the familiar running around), or cooperating images (1d4+X images of you, riding 1d4+X images of your familiar), but I've no idea which one is correct.

Q 257:  What if someone tries to shoot your familiar mount out from under you, and hits one of its images?  Do you wind up with an image of you riding around despite having nothing to ride on?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #923 on: August 24, 2010, 09:30:10 AM »
Q 256:  What happens if your familiar is also your mount, and you share a mirror image spell with it?  The figures mimicking your actions seems to lead to weirdness.  I'm thinking either double images (1d4+X images of you riding your familiar, and 1d4+X images of your familiar bearing you), double images of your familiar only (1d4+X images of you riding your familiar, and 1d4+X images of the familiar running around), or cooperating images (1d4+X images of you, riding 1d4+X images of your familiar), but I've no idea which one is correct.

Q 257:  What if someone tries to shoot your familiar mount out from under you, and hits one of its images?  Do you wind up with an image of you riding around despite having nothing to ride on?

It says foes can't use vision or hearing to tell the difference... so normally, if you just casted the spell on yourself, I'd expect any mounts to be copied as well (at least as long as you're riding the original). I'd expect the same to happen if the spell is instead only cast on your mount (only that your copies disappear if you unmount, not the mount's). So I think you'd get double the number of images, as long as you both stay physically together. Any image shot down disappears entirely, mount and rider.
A DM may rule otherwise, but I believe this to be correct. Otherwise, the spell isn't usable if you're riding a mount or your familiar sits on your shoulder (enemies will notice which image's got a familiar).

Q258
Are there any races that get extra skill points every level, like humans? I know strongheart halflings get the feat, but I'm seriously interested in the skillpoints.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #924 on: August 24, 2010, 09:34:36 AM »
Q 254 My inexperienced Sunday DM asked me this, and obviously I'm inexperienced as well because I couldn't answer it. What happens if you have a +1 frost, shocking, flaming, truebane composite longbow fire a +5 bane arrow?
Quote from: SRD
Ranged Weapons and Ammunition

The enhancement bonus from a ranged weapon does not stack with the enhancement bonus from ammunition. Only the higher of the two enhancement bonuses applies.

Ammunition fired from a projectile weapon with an enhancement bonus of +1 or higher is treated as a magic weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. Similarly, ammunition fired from a projectile weapon with an alignment gains the alignment of that projectile weapon (in addition to any alignment it may already have).
So if the ammo and weapon has the same enchantment, they overlap. Different enchantments all apply at once.
So you get a +5 bane frost, shocking, flaming, truebane projectile.
Tastes like rainbow.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #925 on: August 24, 2010, 02:12:31 PM »
Q 259 is there a way to get another favored class? trying to make a goliath savage bard 1/barb 1/crusader 18 (song of white raven stacking) and dont wanna take the xp penalty. 

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #926 on: August 24, 2010, 02:19:12 PM »
Q 259 is there a way to get another favored class? trying to make a goliath savage bard 1/barb 1/crusader 18 (song of white raven stacking) and dont wanna take the xp penalty. 
The only ways I know of do so for Fighter (Dragonborn), Cleric (a few feats in Sandstorm and Frostburn), and I think Monk.  None of these help you, though.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #927 on: August 24, 2010, 02:21:46 PM »
Not for your particular character, that I'm aware of. Most of the feats are set aside for humans, or half humans. There's also one for paladins so they can stack freely, and there's multiclass feats for fighters, ninjas, rangers, monks, scouts, clerics, wizards, etc. You can make that character work though, without taking penalties. As long as one of the three classes are within a level of each other, you're fine. So the bard/barbarian levels being at 1 won't cause you any xp penalties.

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #928 on: August 24, 2010, 02:25:42 PM »
Not for your particular character, that I'm aware of. Most of the feats are set aside for humans, or half humans. There's also one for paladins so they can stack freely, and there's multiclass feats for fighters, ninjas, rangers, monks, scouts, clerics, wizards, etc. You can make that character work though, without taking penalties. As long as one of the three classes are within a level of each other, you're fine. So the bard/barbarian levels being at 1 won't cause you any xp penalties.

i dont think that works the way ur thinking.  in my build, barb is favored for goliath, it doesnt count.   so in effect the crusader, and bard levels are 17 away from each other.. im pretty sure that would take penalties.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #929 on: August 24, 2010, 02:51:53 PM »

Q258
Are there any races that get extra skill points every level, like humans? I know strongheart halflings get the feat, but I'm seriously interested in the skillpoints.
There's the wild template from dragon 306 that does htat.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #930 on: August 24, 2010, 02:53:13 PM »
Q258
Depending on your race, there's a half human feat that'll let you do that.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #931 on: August 24, 2010, 02:56:47 PM »
Q 260 Got a player (DM) who's being rather difficult. He refuses to take a spellcasting ranger over a nonspellcasting one (because it's a pet peeve of his that they dared to allow rangers spellcasting), and refuses to buy arrows in bundles of 20 (special materials) or 50 (magically enhanced). How do I scale down the price so that he can have less of each?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #932 on: August 24, 2010, 02:58:56 PM »
A 259

There's a feat in Unearthed Arcana called Additional Favored Class. Guess what it does. ;) Keep in mind that it's technically a variant, though.
Alternatively, convince your DM to abolish multiclassing penalties, because they're dumb.

A 260

For arrows, simply have each individual arrow cost 1/20 (if mundane) or 1/50 (if enchanted) of the 'batch' cost. Simple as that.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 03:05:16 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #933 on: August 24, 2010, 03:07:08 PM »
Q 260 Got a player (DM) who's being rather difficult. He refuses to take a spellcasting ranger over a nonspellcasting one (because it's a pet peeve of his that they dared to allow rangers spellcasting), and refuses to buy arrows in bundles of 20 (special materials) or 50 (magically enhanced). How do I scale down the price so that he can have less of each?
I'd go ahead and throw him a bone and allow a non-casting variant.
as for the arrows -- now he's just trying to be difficult (a "contrarian", if you will).  Simply based on principle, I'd tell him that the price is what it is, and he's welcome to have less of each if he likes  :)  (you can explain it in terms of "sunk costs", etc., if you like).

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #934 on: August 24, 2010, 03:10:38 PM »
as for the arrows -- now he's just trying to be difficult (a "contrarian", if you will).  Simply based on principle, I'd tell him that the price is what it is, and he's welcome to have less of each if he likes  :)  (you can explain it in terms of "sunk costs", etc., if you like).
I disagree. On the very CO boards here, we occasionally assume that magic ammunition can be gotten singularly. Some magic arrows in the DMG are also listed individually. Even if he's just trying to be difficult, this is too small and simple a matter to be worth the drama. If he's deliberately being difficult, then he wants you to say no so he can go "BAAAWW you're a bad DM". Don't do him the favor. If he's not deliberately being difficult, then give him what he wants and he'll shut up. It's not like it's a pain in the ass to do either.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 03:17:57 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #935 on: August 24, 2010, 03:13:36 PM »
A 259

There's a feat in Unearthed Arcana called Additional Favored Class. Guess what it does. ;) Keep in mind that it's technically a variant, though.
Alternatively, convince your DM to abolish multiclassing penalties, because they're dumb.

AWESOME!!! 

but hey, if u take away favored class penalties, then wouldnt the human and especially the half elf get a bit intruded on?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #936 on: August 24, 2010, 03:16:28 PM »
A 259

AWESOME!!! 

but hey, if u take away favored class penalties, then wouldnt the human and especially the half elf get a bit intruded on?
So? Half-Elves suck even with the favored class, and Humans rock even without it.
If you seriously want to keep the favored class system, give people bonuses for being their favored class instead of penalties for not being their favored class. Two variants I like are Pathfinder's 'you get an extra hp or skill point per level in your favored class' and Tome's 'you can take any racial sub levels for your favored class, regardless of your own race'.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #937 on: August 24, 2010, 03:29:55 PM »
I'd go ahead and throw him a bone and allow a non-casting variant.
He's taking the one from Complete Champion.

I disagree. On the very CO boards here, we occasionally assume that magic ammunition can be gotten singularly. Some magic arrows in the DMG are also listed individually. Even if he's just trying to be difficult, this is too small and simple a matter to be worth the drama. If he's deliberately being difficult, then he wants you to say no so he can go "BAAAWW you're a bad DM". Don't do him the favor. If he's not deliberately being difficult, then give him what he wants and he'll shut up. It's not like it's a pain in the ass to do either.
I'm sure part of him is being difficult. He says that since he's starting at a higher level, his character wouldn't have all of his arrows, but rather a portion of them instead. I'm not going to dispute that. And I'd rather not have him tell me I'm a bad DM in comparison to himself.

Tome's 'you can take any racial sub levels for your favored class, regardless of your own race'.
Where's that exactly? That sounds kind of neat, actually. I do like PF's always gives you a bonus for staying in your favored class though. They have another variant now in the new Advanced book depending on the class itself, or the race.
And half-elves don't necessarily suck. They're good in their own right. You just have to use them in very specific types of games, and give them the proper feats that go with that game.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #938 on: August 24, 2010, 03:34:45 PM »
Tome's 'you can take any racial sub levels for your favored class, regardless of your own race'.
Where's that exactly? That sounds kind of neat, actually. I do like PF's always gives you a bonus for staying in your favored class though. They have another variant now in the new Advanced book depending on the class itself, or the race.
And half-elves don't necessarily suck. They're good in their own right. You just have to use them in very specific types of games, and give them the proper feats that go with that game.
Here. For more of the Tome series, see here. Note that the Tome series assumes a much higher level of power and optimization than the core sourcebooks (we're talking free wishes for everyone, here) - they're basically based on the philosophy that full-caster levels of power are okay, so long as everyone has them. As such, they're not exactly suitable for plug-and-play in your average campaign, but just the multiclassing houserules are pretty basic and universally usable.
As half-elves go... yeah, they make good Diplomancers. That's pretty much it.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #939 on: August 24, 2010, 03:55:46 PM »
A 259

AWESOME!!! 

So? Half-Elves suck even with the favored class, and Humans rock even without it.
If you seriously want to keep the favored class system, give people bonuses for being their favored class instead of penalties for not being their favored class. Two variants I like are Pathfinder's 'you get an extra hp or skill point per level in your favored class' and Tome's 'you can take any racial sub levels for your favored class, regardless of your own race'.
Don't forget that you can have any favored class in Pathfinder, and kevin_video beat me to mentioning the APG variant favored class benefit(usually an increase in a limited use class feature, or for the human, bonus spells known sometimes)
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."