Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Losing the Game Edition  (Read 127395 times)

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Losing the Game Edition
« Reply #860 on: August 22, 2010, 03:07:32 PM »
Q236: Is there any feat (or similar ability that's easy to get) that allows one to swap a key ability modifier for casting/manifesting save DCs to Wisdom? (For instance, the archivist's save DCs use Intelligence instead.)

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #861 on: August 22, 2010, 05:25:04 PM »
Q236: Is there any feat (or similar ability that's easy to get) that allows one to swap a key ability modifier for casting/manifesting save DCs to Wisdom? (For instance, the archivist's save DCs use Intelligence instead.)
A236: I do not know of any ability to swap DCs to wisdom, but the dynamic and academic priest feats from the legend of the twins dragon lance books can swap the max spell level and bonus spells to charisma and intelligence respectively.

Smokey_the_bear

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #862 on: August 22, 2010, 06:57:09 PM »
Q 237: I'm trying to remember the name of a prestige class but it isn't coming to mind. It grants you a mount with a number of HD equal to PrC lvl + Cha mod IIRC. Can anybody think of it offhand?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #863 on: August 22, 2010, 07:08:50 PM »
Q 237: I'm trying to remember the name of a prestige class but it isn't coming to mind. It grants you a mount with a number of HD equal to PrC lvl + Cha mod IIRC. Can anybody think of it offhand?
A 237

Zhentarim Skymage.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 07:11:19 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #864 on: August 22, 2010, 07:10:26 PM »
A 237

Zentharim Skymage.

From the lords of darkness book if that helps.

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #865 on: August 22, 2010, 07:28:20 PM »
A236: I do not know of any ability to swap DCs to wisdom, but the dynamic and academic priest feats from the legend of the twins dragon lance books can swap the max spell level and bonus spells to charisma and intelligence respectively.
Those sound good to keep in mind, at least. I'll check my Malhavoc books when I get a chance, too.

Q238: Sanctified spells explicitly note that they cannot be cast by evil characters. But I'd been looking over Corrupt spells and couldn't find any similar restriction. Am I just blind, or can good characters really cast Corrupt spells (with appropriate restrictions for clerics and such)?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #866 on: August 22, 2010, 10:04:01 PM »
You are not blind. Most good casters would not, however, because they are evil spells.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #867 on: August 22, 2010, 10:17:58 PM »
Evil: it's available to anyone!
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #868 on: August 22, 2010, 10:44:23 PM »
Q239
Can the template Incarnate Construct be applied to one creature twice?

I ran into this question as I read the Green Star Adept. It gains the construct type at level 10, so what happens when an Incarnate Construct takes this class to the end, can they do it again?
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #869 on: August 22, 2010, 10:49:53 PM »
Q239

I ran into this question as I read the Green Star Adept. It gains the construct type at level 10, so what happens when an Incarnate Construct takes this class to the end, can they do it again?
As far as I can tell, yes.

Which leads to the 'hilarious' image of a warforged artificer who keeps getting screwed over by a high level wizard.  Dude pops up and is all "Incarnate Construct, bitch!" And the warforged is like "hell no! I'll turn myself back into a warforged!" so he goes and levels up in renegade mastermaker until he transforms back into a warforged.  But the epic wizard is bored and stoned out of his mind (what else are you going to do for fun at that level?) and pops in "Incarnate Construct AGAIN, bitch!" So this leaves the ex-warforged in a bit of a conundrum, so he snacks on some delicious mint-flavored meteorites until he's a high level green-star adept.  "Incarnate Construct HAT TRICK, bitch!", as the wizard pops down from the ceiling.

On the plus side, LA-6.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #870 on: August 22, 2010, 10:52:58 PM »
Q240:  Question about the original melee killer gnome.  You use Confound the Big Folk/Underfoot Combat to enter the space of somebody 2 sizes bigger than you.  But, what's to stop them from just 5-foot stepping away from you on their turn, ruining the tactical feat set-ups from Confound the Big Folk?  Is there any other answer to that besides Thicket of Blades?  And, unless you have Stand Still, too, and now we're talking about a big commitment, they will probably just suck the attack of opportunity rather than have you do your hellaecious confounding of them.  

Q240b:  Any good suggestions for how to do credible damage as a melee tanking gnome?  The build right now is just Titan Fighting + Dodge + Midnight Dodge.  I'd love to use Iron Guard's Glare to encourage them to attack me, too.  I could go Knight, but that takes a lot of (kinda sucky) levels to keep the challenge up.  There's also Goad, which isn't a bad use of a move action, but then I'd need good standard action attacks, aka, ToB.  

Things that have occurred to me are:  sneak attack (which I don't love, since I use it a lot), skirmish (seems kind of out of place), dragonfire inspiration (combined w/ Song of the White Raven or Initiate of Milil, a lot of feat investment, but the best option I've thought of so far), or ToB strikes (which I've done a few times and has a little bit of the limited use problem b/c you'd have to recharge them).  

Thanks.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #871 on: August 23, 2010, 12:11:51 AM »
You are not blind. Most good casters wouldcan not, however, because they are evil spells.
ftfy. ('cause of the whole "clerics can't cast spells of an alignment opposed to his or his deity's" thing)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #872 on: August 23, 2010, 12:13:41 AM »
You are not blind. Most good casters wouldcan not, however, because they are evil spells.
ftfy. ('cause of the whole "clerics can't cast spells of an alignment opposed to his or his deity's" thing)
No, he had it right the first time.  Corrupt spells aren't cleric spells, they're available to any class that prepares spells.  Plenty of non-cleric good casters out there.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #873 on: August 23, 2010, 12:20:52 AM »
Q239

As far as I can tell, yes.

Which leads to the 'hilarious' image of a warforged artificer who keeps getting screwed over by a high level wizard.  Dude pops up and is all "Incarnate Construct, bitch!" And the warforged is like "hell no! I'll turn myself back into a warforged!" so he goes and levels up in renegade mastermaker until he transforms back into a warforged.  But the epic wizard is bored and stoned out of his mind (what else are you going to do for fun at that level?) and pops in "Incarnate Construct AGAIN, bitch!" So this leaves the ex-warforged in a bit of a conundrum, so he snacks on some delicious mint-flavored meteorites until he's a high level green-star adept.  "Incarnate Construct HAT TRICK, bitch!", as the wizard pops down from the ceiling.

On the plus side, LA-6.
Psh, he'd be better off artificing some permanent negative levels onto himself and retaking the last level of renegade mastermaker every time :P
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #874 on: August 23, 2010, 12:22:43 AM »
No, he had it right the first time.  Corrupt spells aren't cleric spells, they're available to any class that prepares spells.  Plenty of non-cleric good casters out there.
my bad ... I'm starting to read words that aren't there.  sorry about that (and thanx for the correction). :embarrassed

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #875 on: August 23, 2010, 04:37:38 AM »
Q241: If I have Swift Concentration and I'm concentrating on a spell as a swift action.  Can I cast another spell with my standard action?  Does this require a concentration check?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #876 on: August 23, 2010, 09:56:50 AM »
Q241: If I have Swift Concentration and I'm concentrating on a spell as a swift action.  Can I cast another spell with my standard action?  Does this require a concentration check?
yes, maybe depending on DM
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #877 on: August 23, 2010, 12:28:27 PM »
Q242 Besides the Divine Minion and Lycanthrope templates, what other ways are there to gain the Shapechanger subtype if you don't already have it by nature of your race? Spells or templates would be the most preferred methods.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #878 on: August 23, 2010, 12:36:29 PM »
Q242 Besides the Divine Minion and Lycanthrope templates, what other ways are there to gain the Shapechanger subtype if you don't already have it by nature of your race? Spells or templates would be the most preferred methods.
while not a "spell or template", Master Transmogrifist (CArc) gets it at 5th level (so, minimum of 12th char. level).

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #879 on: August 23, 2010, 01:29:20 PM »
Q243: Are there any (lower level) Druid Teleportation spells (or other options)?
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol