Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Losing the Game Edition  (Read 127400 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Losing the Game Edition
« Reply #780 on: August 20, 2010, 02:21:15 PM »
or you could use some magic items that allow extra things: Spare Hand(MIC), Hand of Glory(DMG)
Hand of Glory I knew for the ring, but I've never read up on Spare Hand. Unless that's that one which can hold something for you.

Q 207 Is there a rule where if you have at least 5 ranks in a particular Knowledge skill, you get an additional +1 for that Favored Enemy? Or is this something my DM came up with?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 02:35:30 PM by kevin_video »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #781 on: August 20, 2010, 02:45:28 PM »
or you could use some magic items that allow extra things: Spare Hand(MIC), Hand of Glory(DMG)
Hand of Glory I knew for the ring, but I've never read up on Spare Hand. Unless that's that one which can hold something for you.
Spare Hand can hold things for you and, if you cast infusions into it, wield weapons and shields.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #782 on: August 20, 2010, 02:48:12 PM »
If only there was a Locate Hippy spell.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #783 on: August 20, 2010, 03:49:54 PM »
Q 207 Is there a rule where if you have at least 5 ranks in a particular Knowledge skill, you get an additional +1 for that Favored Enemy? Or is this something my DM came up with?
Houserule.  A really good one, though, considering your DM's.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

winter_soldier

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #784 on: August 20, 2010, 04:16:21 PM »

Sounds similar to Knowledge Devotion from Complete Divine, or the Collector of Stories skill trick from Complete Scoundrel

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #785 on: August 20, 2010, 06:51:56 PM »
q 200!  What would be a good class for an awakened cat. level 10?

I'd go with psion or ardent.  Your lack of proper hands should make casting spells with material or somatic components problematic.  Psionic powers never have material or somatic components, and you can make a concentration check to suppress a power's displays, so if the power's effects don't inherently indicate the source, you can still pass yourself off as a normal cat. 

You could add in some stealth skills with a bit of rogue and a prestige class that combines manifesting progression with good skills.  Psioncs doesn't get a lot of love; the most suitable prestige class I can find is shadowmind (Complete Adventurer).  If you can get your DM to create a psionic adaptation of unseen seer (Complete Mage), that would be great.  You could also try lurk (Complete Psionic) or psychic rogue, but both of those cut down on your manifesting significantly. 

If you go with beguiler, as weenog suggested, you should look into eschew materials (PHB) and surrogate spellcasting (Savage Species).  That takes care of normal material components and somatic components, but still leaves you with costly material components and focuses to worry about. 

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #786 on: August 20, 2010, 07:11:24 PM »
An awakened cat should be a Dragonfire Adept, because nothing is cooler than a fire-breathing kitty. ;)
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #788 on: August 20, 2010, 07:19:56 PM »
Q209: Did Magic Item Compendium update the 'adding new abilities makes the item cost 1.5x' clause from DMG page 288? If so, where precisely does it say that it updated this rule, and what is the new version of this rule? Thanks!
BG's other resident furry!

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #789 on: August 20, 2010, 07:40:16 PM »
It updates adding enhancement and a few other such scaling bonuses to not use that formula while leaving other types of items to follow the DMG guideline.

See Adding Common Item Effects to Existing Items on page 233-234
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #790 on: August 20, 2010, 09:15:21 PM »
Q193: I want some really strong cleric (domain?) spells of any level that don't allow saves and don't require attacks. SR is fine. Some notable buff spells would also be good.

repost, since it was missed.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #791 on: August 20, 2010, 09:28:01 PM »
q 200!  What would be a good class for an awakened cat. level 10?
Spellcaster with Ocular spell, http://www.hulu.com/watch/121061/saturday-night-live-digital-short-laser-cats-5

LASER CATS!!!
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #792 on: August 20, 2010, 09:47:33 PM »
Q193: I want some really strong cleric (domain?) spells of any level that don't allow saves and don't require attacks. SR is fine. Some notable buff spells would also be good.

repost, since it was missed.

All of the alignment spells can be reasonably powerful, and don't allow saves.  By alignment spells I mean Dictum and the like, there's one for each alignment domain.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #793 on: August 20, 2010, 10:06:36 PM »
Q208: A year ago, a time regression power stone was placed on a pedestal. I picked it up and immediately used it. Is there a power stone on the pedestal before me?
A208: Yes, but it's powerless.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #794 on: August 20, 2010, 10:10:33 PM »
Q208: A year ago, a time regression power stone was placed on a pedestal. I picked it up and immediately used it. Is there a power stone on the pedestal before me?
Or is it? Dun dun DUUUUUN!  *Insert accusatory hamster gif here*
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #795 on: August 20, 2010, 10:13:54 PM »
Q 210:
I can't find any evidence that contradicts that anyone "placed inside" a Shrouds of Disintegration just die, no save, no SR, no nothing.
My DMG says nothing on the subject and I thought that perhaps it has been clarified somewhere that it should have a fort save attached to it, considering it's based upon Disintegrate?
Not that I know of any DM that wouldn't chuck a book at me if I started to get technical of what counts as "placed inside" but it would be neat to know.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #796 on: August 20, 2010, 10:27:25 PM »
A210: The shrouds were made for destroying corpses, which are objects. It's possible it won't even activate with a creature inside. That being said, it's just a disintegrate effect (and you can indeed disintegrate corpses, no save no SR) , thus it's save DC should be 19 or 20, depending on if the caster was a wizard or a  cleric. (defaults to wizard, AFAIK)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #797 on: August 20, 2010, 10:32:59 PM »
Q 202 Anyone know if they ever updated the Vampire Lord to 3.5 http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a? As it stands now, it'd DR is 10/+3.

The original vampire template gave the creature DR 15/+1, which got changed to 10/magic and silver.
No, it was never updated. I'd imagine it'd be the same, though. Maybe 15/magic and silver if you are looking for a strong boost except by weapons that bypass it.
The 15/magic and silver was something I had thought of too as in the update book it suggests that if the CR is 13+, to make it at least 15. What did the +3 represent in 3.0? One suggestion I found online was 15/magic and silver and good. My DM suggested DR 20/silver and magic.

I'm going to be actually using this template once I get it figured out so it'd be nice to know what to shoot for.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #798 on: August 20, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
The stone I picked up, in my hand should be. then again, in Seven Days there's no multiple instances of the main character around...

Okay, a better question: A use-activated, resetting Time Regression trap. The trap itself won't travel in time, obviously. (horribly expensive.)
Would it port the victim back to the first moment it was capable of being activated?

Would the trap even need to be resetting, or would a one-shot trap do?

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #799 on: August 20, 2010, 11:03:23 PM »