Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Losing the Game Edition  (Read 127405 times)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Losing the Game Edition
« Reply #460 on: August 13, 2010, 01:47:20 PM »
It's got multiple limbs, it's just got multiple torsos to go with it.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #461 on: August 13, 2010, 01:49:15 PM »
Q 120 This may not be a simple question. Does anyone remember the living dolls from 2nd Ed? I first encountered them in Ravenloft. The worst ones being the ones who literally traded souls with you so they had your body, and you had theirs.

Did 3.5 ever update these anywhere?
God I hope so.  A Child's Play themed horror game would be awesome.
Yep, they are in one of the dragon mags.
Nice. Wouldn't happen to have a name for what the creature's called, would you? Or an issue number?

It's got multiple limbs, it's just got multiple torsos to go with it.
The picture of it throws it off. What with one person dead, and another about to put a sword through themself because they can't live without the other.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #462 on: August 13, 2010, 01:49:55 PM »
Q 123 What are some multiple-limbed PC playable races, other than thri-kreen?

In core, there is sahuagin.  They're ECL 5 instead of 4 and have the annoying requirement of immersing themselves in water around 3 times per day.  On the other hand, they get a net +12 to abilities instead of a net +2 and have some bonuses if you actually fight in water.  

Xill is also in core, but is ECL 9.  

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #463 on: August 13, 2010, 01:51:25 PM »
Q 124 Whirling Frenzy gives you an additional attack when you're making a full attack. Does this stack with two-weapon fighting, snap kick, haste, and/or a speed weapon because of it's -2 to all attacks?
Yes.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

something random

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #464 on: August 13, 2010, 02:09:52 PM »
Q 125: Is Steadfast Determination worth it for a tomenist given it's prerequisite (endurance) which the conditions in which it applies almost never come up?
Am I the only one who's mind was broken when they realized the implication of the existence of the aberration bloodline.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #465 on: August 13, 2010, 02:12:03 PM »
Q 120 This may not be a simple question. Does anyone remember the living dolls from 2nd Ed? I first encountered them in Ravenloft. The worst ones being the ones who literally traded souls with you so they had your body, and you had theirs.

Nice. Wouldn't happen to have a name for what the creature's called, would you? Or an issue number?
After some searching I found it. It is the Carrionette updated in Dragon mag 339.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #466 on: August 13, 2010, 02:41:31 PM »

After some searching I found it. It is the Carrionette updated in Dragon mag 339.
You are my hero. :D
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #467 on: August 13, 2010, 02:49:19 PM »
Q126: I'm looking for a giant race, particularly one that isn't dumb and is more nordic seeming.  I vaguely remember something being made for an offshoot game?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #468 on: August 13, 2010, 03:13:21 PM »
Q126: I'm looking for a giant race, particularly one that isn't dumb and is more nordic seeming.  I vaguely remember something being made for an offshoot game?

A: Firbolg might fit your bill but just skinning other types however your needing them would work too.  Both Frost and Fire giants are/could be very nordic especially given nordic mythology.
Placeholder - T'tosc

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #469 on: August 13, 2010, 03:47:17 PM »
Arcana Unearthed (not Unearthed Arcana) has a +0 LA race called giant.  It is actually medium size unless you take all three levels of the racial paragon class.  The base race gets +2 str, -2 dex.  The racial paragon class gives d10 hit dice, cleric attack bonus, and good fortitude saves.  If you take all three levels, you get +2 str, +2 con, +2 wis and large size. 

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #470 on: August 13, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
Arcana Unearthed (not Unearthed Arcana) has a +0 LA race called giant.  It is actually medium size unless you take all three levels of the racial paragon class.  The base race gets +2 str, -2 dex.  The racial paragon class gives d10 hit dice, cleric attack bonus, and good fortitude saves.  If you take all three levels, you get +2 str, +2 con, +2 wis and large size. 

I think this is the one I've seen before.  I'm looking for something with as low LA as possible, as I want to do it almost exclusively for flavor. 
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #471 on: August 13, 2010, 05:12:02 PM »
EDIT: Dang, not so much now. I just read that a heavy horse can't fight with a rider on it. I'll have to look for a feat to allow it to do so.
Your horse can't fight while you're riding it, but YOU can still fight while riding a horse.  So it doesn't get a hoof attack, who cares?  Your lance / spirited charge for 200+ damage should kill your foe anyway. So a 1d6+1 damage from your horse shouldn't really matter.  Just use Handle Animal to teach it the appropriate tricks, and you're fine.
Yeah, but you're not going to do 200+ damage at 4th level though. And apparently this DM's campaigns don't go any higher than 10.
The mount can attack too if you make a Ride check DC10.  This is right in the Ride skill description, so if your DM doesn't allow it, smack him with a chair and start calling him Steve.

Q127: Someone link me to that original article with the folding chair and steve, please. I want to share it with some of my group that hasn't seen it.

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #472 on: August 13, 2010, 05:22:41 PM »
Q 128: If a character is holding charge on a touch spell (because they missed on their first attack with it), and a creature provokes an attack of opportunity from them, can they make the attack with the touch spell? My gut says yes, but there might be a rule that contradicts that.
This space intentionally left blank.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #473 on: August 13, 2010, 05:34:06 PM »
Q 128: If a character is holding charge on a touch spell (because they missed on their first attack with it), and a creature provokes an attack of opportunity from them, can they make the attack with the touch spell? My gut says yes, but there might be a rule that contradicts that.

A 128: They should, yes, since they count as "armed". IIRC, there's also a feat that allows casting + attacking with a touch spell as part of an AoO.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #474 on: August 13, 2010, 05:42:14 PM »
Q100: Does this allow druids to wildshape into any vermin or magical beast (as long as you add the fiendish template) even if you didn't have that ability before??
MEGABUMP
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #475 on: August 13, 2010, 05:43:22 PM »
Q100: Does this allow druids to wildshape into any vermin or magical beast (as long as you add the fiendish template) even if you didn't have that ability before??
MEGABUMP
I think so.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #476 on: August 13, 2010, 06:15:30 PM »

I think this is the one I've seen before.  I'm looking for something with as low LA as possible, as I want to do it almost exclusively for flavor. 
Be a human, orc, half-orc, or neanderthal, and be 25-50% taller and heavier than the race fluff says you should be.  Easy.  No reach, no higher weapon damage, no more expensive armor, and no LA, just flavor.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #477 on: August 13, 2010, 06:19:33 PM »
MEGABUMP

It sure does say that.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #478 on: August 13, 2010, 07:03:42 PM »
Q 124 Whirling Frenzy gives you an additional attack when you're making a full attack. Does this stack with two-weapon fighting, snap kick, haste, and/or a speed weapon because of it's -2 to all attacks?

One assumes it works like Snap kick.  last i recall, Speed explicitly does not stack with haste
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

Tenebrous Apostate

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #479 on: August 13, 2010, 08:02:11 PM »
Q 129 Where can I find the Eastern magician feat?
Dead mortals feel no Dread