Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Losing the Game Edition  (Read 127385 times)

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Losing the Game Edition
« Reply #420 on: August 12, 2010, 07:29:03 PM »
q121 Is "if you already have this feat,. getting this feat as from class levels allows you to pick a new feat that you qualify for" an actual rule/guideline, or does it only apply when it it specifically stated to.

I want to take track/endurance at first level and then take ranger levels to pick up feats later.  Does this Work?
only when called out specifically. Swap it out via a ranger ACF.

I don't want ACFs, I want a way to move those 1st level feats up so I can take them at a higher level... so darned many feats that can't be taken before 5th/6th level.  ranger-switching is a way to do that if the thing i posted is allowed.
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #421 on: August 12, 2010, 07:32:18 PM »
EDIT: Dang, not so much now. I just read that a heavy horse can't fight with a rider on it. I'll have to look for a feat to allow it to do so.
Your horse can't fight while you're riding it, but YOU can still fight while riding a horse.  So it doesn't get a hoof attack, who cares?  Your lance / spirited charge for 200+ damage should kill your foe anyway. So a 1d6+1 damage from your horse shouldn't really matter.  Just use Handle Animal to teach it the appropriate tricks, and you're fine.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #422 on: August 12, 2010, 07:33:31 PM »
EDIT: Dang, not so much now. I just read that a heavy horse can't fight with a rider on it. I'll have to look for a feat to allow it to do so.
Your horse can't fight while you're riding it, but YOU can still fight while riding a horse.  So it doesn't get a hoof attack, who cares?  Your lance / spirited charge for 200+ damage should kill your foe anyway. So a 1d6+1 damage from your horse shouldn't really matter.  Just use Handle Animal to teach it the appropriate tricks, and you're fine.
Yeah, but you're not going to do 200+ damage at 4th level though. And apparently this DM's campaigns don't go any higher than 10.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #423 on: August 12, 2010, 07:38:10 PM »
Yeah, but you're not going to do 200+ damage at 4th level though. And apparently this DM's campaigns don't go any higher than 10.
The mount can attack too if you make a Ride check DC10.  This is right in the Ride skill description, so if your DM doesn't allow it, smack him with a chair and start calling him Steve.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #424 on: August 12, 2010, 07:38:38 PM »
Q 116: Is there a way to turn Swift action spells into standard actions? As in: my Wizard/Swiftblade wants to Standard Action Wraithstrike, Full Attack, Swift Action Temp HP from Polymorph Reserve feat.

A 116:  Belt of Battle

Thanks, but I don't count limited use items (no matter how many copies) as a solution. :)
Sorcerer + rapid metamagic/arcane fusion, maybe?
Actually... couldn't he just apply a metamagic feat to it? Like Extend Spell?
Wouldn't that change swift to full round action?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #425 on: August 12, 2010, 07:40:06 PM »
Q 116: Is there a way to turn Swift action spells into standard actions? As in: my Wizard/Swiftblade wants to Standard Action Wraithstrike, Full Attack, Swift Action Temp HP from Polymorph Reserve feat.

Thanks, but I don't count limited use items (no matter how many copies) as a solution. :)

I was thinking on that route, but I want a Wizard. (I'm difficult.)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #426 on: August 12, 2010, 07:41:21 PM »
The mount can attack too if you make a Ride check DC10.  This is right in the Ride skill description, so if your DM doesn't allow it, smack him with a chair and start calling him Steve.
One problem with the description. "If you direct your war-trained mount to attack in battle, you can still make your own attack or attacks normally. This usage is a free action." A heavy horse is not war-trained.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #427 on: August 12, 2010, 07:53:52 PM »
Quote from: Handle Animal
So teach them to be war-trained. ;)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #428 on: August 12, 2010, 08:02:08 PM »
Yeah... Hmm. INT 2 allows it to know 6 tricks. Attack counts as 2. It'd take a while for it to get trained all 6 tricks, especially when one of them counts as 2. But wild cohort does give you bonus tricks. Need to make sure the Handle Animal skill level's high too.

Q 117 What are the werebear's actual skills? It says it's whatever the animal's is, but brown bears don't have Handle Animal, unlike the example listed for the LG werebear. Doesn't list it in the savage progression either.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #429 on: August 12, 2010, 08:07:12 PM »
Yeah... Hmm. INT 2 allows it to know 6 tricks. Attack counts as 2. It'd take a while for it to get trained all 6 tricks, especially when one of them counts as 2. But wild cohort does give you bonus tricks. Need to make sure the Handle Animal skill level's high too.

Q 117 What are the werebear's actual skills? It says it's whatever the animal's is, but brown bears don't have Handle Animal, unlike the example listed for the LG werebear. Doesn't list it in the savage progression either.
Attack is only one trick. Training it to attack everything is two.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #430 on: August 12, 2010, 08:13:24 PM »
True, but really, which one are you going to take? I can't think of a DM I've had that doesn't have outsiders, and undead, and humanoids, and oozes, and regular monsters.  You get a bonus trick at 3rd level anyways so I'll just take whatever's left at that point. I should be fine. Just need to make the DC check. That, and hope the mount doesn't die.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #431 on: August 12, 2010, 08:19:55 PM »
True, but really, which one are you going to take? I can't think of a DM I've had that doesn't have outsiders, and undead, and humanoids, and oozes, and regular monsters.  You get a bonus trick at 3rd level anyways so I'll just take whatever's left at that point. I should be fine. Just need to make the DC check. That, and hope the mount doesn't die.
Attack the first time wrks for humanoids, monstrous humanoids, giants, and any other animals, which is most of what you go against at low level.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #432 on: August 12, 2010, 08:20:57 PM »
Well the Wild Cohort feat gives you +2 bonus to Handle Animal checks, max ranks at level 4 will be 7, with a +1 CHA modifier, you can then take 10 to hit the DC 20 check required.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #433 on: August 12, 2010, 08:26:10 PM »
Well the Wild Cohort feat gives you +2 bonus to Handle Animal checks, max ranks at level 4 will be 7, with a +1 CHA modifier, you can then take 10 to hit the DC 20 check required.
Is there a synergy bonus for Handle Animal?

EDIT: No, guess not. Just Handle Animal 5 for Ride +2.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #434 on: August 12, 2010, 08:28:50 PM »
Synergy:  If you have 5 or more ranks in Handle Animal, you get a +2 bonus on Ride checks and wild empathy checks.
So not really, no.

But you could also take the Uncivilized trait for another +1.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #435 on: August 12, 2010, 08:29:08 PM »
Masterwork tool (50 gp) for +2 circumstance.
Planetouched Handbook

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #436 on: August 12, 2010, 08:35:32 PM »

Actually... couldn't he just apply a metamagic feat to it? Like Extend Spell?
Wouldn't that change swift to full round action?
Actually, it wouldn't change the casting time at all, because he's using a Wizard base.
In short, no, I don't think there's a way of turning a swift action spell into a standard action. Casting True Strike instead of Wraithstrike could work, though it would only affect one attack.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #437 on: August 12, 2010, 08:37:55 PM »
Q120
Do spells without SR ignore magic immunity the way they do spell resistance. Such as can my mage orb of force a demilich?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 08:44:26 PM by Maat_Mons »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #438 on: August 12, 2010, 08:44:37 PM »
Depends entirely upon whether or not you think the Rules Compendium overrides the specific text of a demilich's immunity to magic or not.
Planetouched Handbook

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #439 on: August 12, 2010, 09:05:46 PM »
Depends entirely upon whether or not you think the Rules Compendium overrides the specific text of a demilich's immunity to magic or not.
Which depends on whether or not you use the base magic immunity ability of 3.5, since they never updated anything on the demilich besides some minor stat things that have no relevance except for the example.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]