Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Losing the Game Edition  (Read 127648 times)

weenog

• Grape ape
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Losing the Game Edition
« Reply #320 on: August 10, 2010, 12:31:49 AM »
Q 95: What inexpensive options exist to increase one's effective cleric level for purposes of rebuking undead? 

Looking to make an early-entry master of shrouds for a level 5-12 game, I want to rebuke as a high enough level cleric to permanently command my summons' spawn and can't afford a scepter of the netherworld to start out with, running low on other ideas besides Improved Turning, too.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #321 on: August 10, 2010, 12:33:33 AM »
A 93: The ascetic mage feat, from Complete Adventurer, does that.  It requires the ability to spontaneously cast 2nd level arcane spells though. 
Hadn't really thought of being a mage too, but that works too. If I remember correctly, either Mage or Arcane has a PrC that combines that two of them, no?
Enlightened Fist, complete arcane.  It's nothing special, but if you weren't intending to be a mage anyway, the dropped caster levels shouldn't hurt you too much.
Practiced Spellcaster would help getting the levels back, but the spells would be lost, unfortunately. If you did it right, you'd only need the two levels of monk for evasion, and the prereqs (stunning fist), and only lose four (which PS gives back) levels. Needless to say your BAB would suck pretty badly, you could always make an item with the Divine Power spell.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #322 on: August 10, 2010, 12:38:50 AM »
Q 95: What inexpensive options exist to increase one's effective cleric level for purposes of rebuking undead? 

Looking to make an early-entry master of shrouds for a level 5-12 game, I want to rebuke as a high enough level cleric to permanently command my summons' spawn and can't afford a scepter of the netherworld to start out with, running low on other ideas besides Improved Turning, too.
Turning stuff enchances rebuking as well.  A flametouched iron holy symbol should work.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #323 on: August 10, 2010, 01:17:33 AM »
Rainbow Servant doesn't work that way. What it does is add all the cleric's spells to your arcane list. It does NOT make you a divine spellcaster in any way, shape, or form. For all effects and purposes, the line "spells count as divine if not from the Cleric/Wizard/Bard lists" doesn't make you a divine spellcaster because you're still using arcane spell slots to cast them.

Clean and simple.
\
Actually, it does let you cast spells not already on your list as divine spells.  Read the class feature
Yes, TML, but you're still using arcane spell slots to cast them. You don't actually gain divine spell slots. Therefore, no progression with MT.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #324 on: August 10, 2010, 01:36:52 AM »
Rainbow Servant doesn't work that way. What it does is add all the cleric's spells to your arcane list. It does NOT make you a divine spellcaster in any way, shape, or form. For all effects and purposes, the line "spells count as divine if not from the Cleric/Wizard/Bard lists" doesn't make you a divine spellcaster because you're still using arcane spell slots to cast them.

Clean and simple.
\
Actually, it does let you cast spells not already on your list as divine spells.  Read the class feature
Yes, TML, but you're still using arcane spell slots to cast them. You don't actually gain divine spell slots. Therefore, no progression with MT.
Is there any RAW distinction between kinds of spell slots? 

If you cast it as a divine spell you're a divine spellcaster
Planetouched Handbook

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #325 on: August 10, 2010, 01:38:45 AM »
Q96: What are some good Cleric spells that require concentration to maintain?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #326 on: August 10, 2010, 01:39:36 AM »

Good spells don't require concentration to maintain.

TC X0 Lt 0X

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #327 on: August 10, 2010, 01:43:22 AM »
Q97
Is there a way which requires little investment to get a Dragonborn Raptoran Large Size or Powerful Build in order to Qualify for Knockback?
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #328 on: August 10, 2010, 01:46:09 AM »

Good spells don't require concentration to maintain.

Asking so as to pair something with the skill trick swift concentration.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #329 on: August 10, 2010, 02:01:16 AM »

Clean and simple.
\
Is there any RAW distinction between kinds of spell slots? 

If you cast it as a divine spell you're a divine spellcaster
There are. Arcane spells are, by default, subject to ASF (unless the class specifies otherwise, like Bard), whereas divine spells aren't. That's the only basic distinction between them, but it IS a distinction. It's not unlike the Archmage's ability to use SLAs by using his spell slots to fuel them. Yeah, they behave as SLAs for the most part, but their source is still an arcane spell slot.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #330 on: August 10, 2010, 02:16:36 AM »
Planetouched Handbook

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #331 on: August 10, 2010, 04:45:52 AM »
A 93: The ascetic mage feat, from Complete Adventurer, does that.  It requires the ability to spontaneously cast 2nd level arcane spells though. 
Hadn't really thought of being a mage too, but that works too. If I remember correctly, either Mage or Arcane has a PrC that combines that two of them, no?
Enlightened Fist, complete arcane.  It's nothing special, but if you weren't intending to be a mage anyway, the dropped caster levels shouldn't hurt you too much.
Practiced Spellcaster would help getting the levels back, but the spells would be lost, unfortunately. If you did it right, you'd only need the two levels of monk for evasion, and the prereqs (stunning fist), and only lose four (which PS gives back) levels. Needless to say your BAB would suck pretty badly, you could always make an item with the Divine Power spell.

And add in some Abjurant Champion, combined with Arcane Strike.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #332 on: August 10, 2010, 10:19:02 AM »
And add in some Abjurant Champion, combined with Arcane Strike.
That definitely covers the last five levels you'd have open.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #333 on: August 10, 2010, 01:08:33 PM »
Q97
Is there a way which requires little investment to get a Dragonborn Raptoran Large Size or Powerful Build in order to Qualify for Knockback?
Enlarge Person + Permanancy.  They're still Humanoids.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #334 on: August 10, 2010, 01:09:08 PM »
Q97
Enlarge Person + Permanancy.  They're still Humanoids.
Enlarging before the ritual might make your increased size stick...
Planetouched Handbook

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #335 on: August 10, 2010, 03:31:56 PM »
Q 98:  Is there any base class other than Bard or Monk that has a strong Will progression, and Perform on its list of class skills?  Making good use of Wis and/or Cha is a plus.

Beltendu

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #336 on: August 10, 2010, 03:37:40 PM »
Q 98:  Is there any base class other than Bard or Monk that has a strong Will progression, and Perform on its list of class skills?  Making good use of Wis and/or Cha is a plus.

Paladin with Harmonious Knight (I think that's the name) gets perform and the ability to use smites to do Inspire Courage, and while you don't have strong will progression, you do have Divine Grace to get Cha to saves.  That may or may not get you what you need, but I figured it was worth mentioning. 

I want to say there's a Domain that clerics can get that will get them Perform, but I could be hallucinating that one, so don't quote me on it.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #337 on: August 10, 2010, 03:39:45 PM »

Paladin with Harmonious Knight (I think that's the name) gets perform and the ability to use smites to do Inspire Courage, and while you don't have strong will progression, you do have Divine Grace to get Cha to saves.  That may or may not get you what you need, but I figured it was worth mentioning. 

I want to say there's a Domain that clerics can get that will get them Perform, but I could be hallucinating that one, so don't quote me on it.

I need a +2 Will dip class for Master of Shrouds early entry, and I want to be able to make the DC 15 Perform (string instruments) check to activate the Lyre of the Restful Soul reliably even if I roll low.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #338 on: August 10, 2010, 03:50:10 PM »

I need a +2 Will dip class for Master of Shrouds early entry, and I want to be able to make the DC 15 Perform (string instruments) check to activate the Lyre of the Restful Soul reliably even if I roll low.
Can you simply get the Apprentice feat? There's one that gives Perform as a class skill for all your classes.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Beltendu

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #339 on: August 10, 2010, 04:03:04 PM »

Ok, at this point I'd mostly be digging through the SRD or pulling stuff out of my ass, so I'll leave this to the people with a better memory of their books ... :)  I think the first place I'd look would be Factotum (since all skills are class skills, but I don't remember the saves).

However, after a quick glance, it looks like Expert will give you the good Will save and your choice of 10 skills as class skills ... :)