Author Topic: Building a Pathfinder melee villian  (Read 3289 times)

SolEiji

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Summon the Meteor Pony!
    • D&D Wiki.Org
    • Email
Building a Pathfinder melee villian
« on: August 03, 2010, 05:26:04 AM »
I'm in need to make a dangerous melee villian that is vaguely, well, this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efJlhwRmRfw

I know I want to focus on disarming and/or sundering, and give the PCs a run for the money.  To his credit he will have an intelligent item of some sort, and a cloaker cleric on his back, though only the intelligent item will be with him constantly, the cloaker on his back is only there for the first battle.  The only problem is I am not good with pathfinder fighters and there's no handbook for them yet, so I turn to you.

The Opposition:
*Human Summoner, proven effective, his summon is currently the BSF.
*Halfling Fighter/Sorcerer, an archer type, hits well but low damage output.
*Vanara Wizard (a monkey race from OA), should be strong but player is ineffective, not very wise on wizards.

As you can probably tell, 3.5 feats and races are in, provided PF doesn't replace them.  3.5 weapons are also in as well as PF weapons so spiked chains aren't nerfed anymore.  Preferably for flavor reasons giving him an axe is ideal, but not required.  Everything else is PF.  I'll be building it as if it was a PC, ablit at a higher level.  30 point buy and an extra feat are available.  Being the DM, I'll willing to bend these rules if needed, but will try not to.

Party is ECL 5.  I figure I should aim for level 8 or 9 for the boss fight.  I do have him planned as a reoccuring villian to, so if I can get him an excape route (UMD and a scroll of dimension door?) that would be good.

What do you think?  Any ideas on how to make this difficult?  Incidentally if you have ideas for the intelligent item too, that would be great.  I figure by maximizing the mount of turns he's getting (himself, the hidden cloaker, and his weapon) it will make things harder.
Got homebrew?  I keep all my 3.5 homebrew on the D&D Wiki.org!
Current Count: 1333 pages by me and climbing!

SolEiji

• D&D Wiki.Org
    • Email
Re: Building a Pathfinder melee villian
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 06:53:53 AM »
An update on the situation.  -1 Monkey Wizard, +1 Halfling Sorcerer (Brass Dragon blood I believe).  If this changes anything.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 05:34:23 PM »
Hmm, heavily magical party facing a melee brute, think a reach+trip based build could do it?
Generally win init, get up close and keep them in reach while you unleash beatdowns and generally ignore the pet. Strong saves a must.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

AzraeltheFallen

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 01:16:58 AM »
Give his weapon the Warning +1 enchantment(MIC) and an belt of battle. Now he has +7 to Initiative and essentially two rounds.
Also take a look at ToB(Tome of Battle) and all those tasty manouvers. They would fit the video well I'd say;)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 01:40:47 AM »
If ToB isn't available, psychic warrior (with or without slayer or ghostbreaker, and possibly with monk/Tashalatora, if you want it) is your best bet. Linked Power for buffing, and several long-term buffs active, including concealing amorpha, inertial armor, claws of the beast, vigor, and share pain (with a psicrystal to make it better). Once things get going, you'll want to start off with a couple of swift/immediate action powers, Linked with bigger buffs such as expansion and strength of my enemy. If it's at mid-to-high level, metamorphosis and dispel psionics can come into play, and you can de-summon the summoner and mix it up as a hydra (with a hydra psicrystal) after sneaking up on them as a pixie or a shimmerling.

If you decide to take Metamorphic Transfer, there's always the beholder (replete with Su antimagic cone). ^_^
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 01:43:49 AM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Khorus

• TPK FTW!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 03:27:56 PM »
Overrun, charge in knock one down, AoO, cleave rest. Permancy Enlarge person.

SolEiji

• D&D Wiki.Org
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 09:09:44 PM »
While I can bend the rules to allow it, I'm trying to prevent using non-Pathfinder classes right now.  That said maneuvers are good for flavor, and I could employ some of the magic items which grant maneuvers.

Overrun, interesting.  Don't know much about it, is it useful?  On one point I know I WILL need is CMB optimization.  Obviously maximize Strength, and I note perma-enlarge person (or in this case I'll have his cloaker cleric cast one somehow).  Anything else I can use to that end?

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 01:45:16 PM »
Hm. You could get some Rogue Brute in yourself....
Say,
Advanced Human, Fighter 5/Rogue 3,
Reach weapon, Weapon Focus, Dazzling Display + Shatter Defenses, Lunge, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave.

You can even fit in some EWP, combat reflexes, stuff like that.

Hit everyone 5-15 ft. away, next round hit them again for great sneak attack. Enlarged, 10-25ft. (and with spiked chain, even close.)