Author Topic: 3.5 Core-mostly Human Fighter-Cleric with a bow  (Read 5173 times)

Bulwer

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
3.5 Core-mostly Human Fighter-Cleric with a bow
« on: August 01, 2010, 06:51:05 AM »
28-point buy, core-only but I'm really hoping to get Zen Archery past the DM.

The vision is a versatile cleric who can reliably deal lots of damage at range with a longbow. Needs to be playable mostly at levels 1-5.

The current plan is Fighter1 and then into Cleric immediately afterwards. Multiclass penalties apply as written.

For stats, I'm thinking 10/10/14/10/16/14.

What are my go-to feats here? What spells are going to be my best bets to prepare every day?

I know I'm pretty limited on Domains, but Travel and Luck look like good bets, since a fighter dip means I don't need War.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 07:13:59 AM by Bulwer »

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
Re: 3.5 Core-mostly Human Fighter-Cleric with a bow
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 07:50:18 AM »
I will try my hand at this if I may.  First off I vote is stick with straight cleric.  You get the most out of the wisdom especially if you are heading into Zen Archery.  Are you only wanting to be ranged attack?  If you are then dump Dex to 8 and put those points into con.  Hell I saw go elf so you have the longbow feat from the get go and pic good domains.  Who else is in your party so we can know if there are any gaps to fill.

Thanks.

Bulwer

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 10:27:59 AM »
The reason I thought Human Fighter1 was my best bet was because this is a play-by-post game starting at level 1. Going Fighter gives me a the ability to take Zen Archery immediately, plus the bonus feat, which I could drop into something useful.

I just don't want to play for a long while with no hitting ability, which is where I'd be at Cleric 1-2 with a low Dex and no Zen Archery.

Black Knight

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 02:38:12 PM »
For a low lever Core only cleric archer build, I might suggest the following:

10/14/14/10/16/10

Race:  Human

Cleric 5

DOMAINS
Knowledge (if you can replace with Knowledge Devotion)
Travel (if you can replace with Travel Devotion)

OR

War (if you can choose a Longbow for the free Weapon Focus)
Magic (so you can get a wand of Arrow Mind, Cat's Grace, etc)

Since you asked for Core only.. I'll use the second domains choices below

FEATS
H:  Point Blank Shot
1:  Rapid Shot (requires DEX 13)
War:  Weapon Focus (Longbow)
3:  Precise Shot

It's not core, but if you could take the Dead Eye feat you could add your Dex mod to damage within 30'.

SPELLS
Are your spell choices limited to core only as well?  That would truly be... frustrating.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 01:48:56 AM by Black Knight »
If you are an ethical person, you do the right thing even when no one is watching...

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 02:52:45 PM »
I dont have the link handy but, I think that JaronK posted a really kick ass cleric archer build once. If I recall correctly it could shoot arrows at 1mile range, even going thrue walls and stuff.

But I may be thinking of somethng else idk  :lmao
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 05:32:44 PM »
i like Black Knights build .... but i would change as follows:

Race: Human
Cleric 5

Domains:
War
Travel..... (or Magic or Animal or Plant .... these choices depend on the Campaign)

Attributes: (28 point buy)

12 Str(12)
14 Dex(14)
14 Con(14)
10 Int(10)
15 Wis(14 +1 lvl)
12 Cha(12)

Feats:
Weapon Focus(Composite Longbow)(War bonus)
Point Blank Shot(Human Bonus)
1st lvl: Precise Shot
3rd lvl Rapid Shot

if the game stays CORE only ... finish as follows:

Cleric 12/ Thaumaturgist 5/ Hierophant 3

Feats:
Weapon Focus(Composite Longbow)(War bonus)
Point Blank Shot(Human Bonus)
1st lvl: Precise Shot
3rd lvl: Rapid Shot
6th lvl: Extend Spell
9th lvl: Spell Focus(Conjuration)
12th lvl: Quicken Spell
15th lvl: Spell Penetration, Augment Summoning(Thaumaturgist bonus)
18th lvl: Quicken Spell-like Ability(Teleport)

Hierophant Specials:
Divine Reach
Mastery of Energy
Spell-Like Ability(Teleport ... using an 8th lvl Slot = Teleport 4/day)

Could Turn Undead as 16th lvl Cleric before adding Items(Phylactery of Undead Turning).. Turn as 20th lvl Cleric

could adjust with Divine Power instead of Teleport and use a 9th lvl Spell Slot to get Divine Power 6/day ... and 3 would be Quickened

Cast Spells as 20th lvl Cleric before Items with Spell Progression as 17th lvl Cleric = 9th lvl Spells

:D

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 05:35:27 PM by carnivore »

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 05:55:44 PM »
Race:  Elf
FEATS
H:  Point Blank Shot

Lol, fix your build...
BG's other resident furry!

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 07:31:33 PM »
If Elf Domain is in, I'd second going pure Cleric(2 gods, Solonor Thelandira and Shevarash offer the domains Elf & War with Longbow as a favored weapon).
Seeker of the Misty Isles(Complete Divine, Elf only PrC) would be a nice addition, that gives 2 additional domains(Travel and Magic).

With Core only, i'd ask for including Unearthed Arcana/SRD for Human Paragon & maybe Prestige Ranger(if there isn't already a PHB-Ranger in your group).

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 07:44:13 PM »
I dont have the link handy but, I think that JaronK posted a really kick ass cleric archer build once. If I recall correctly it could shoot arrows at 1mile range, even going thrue walls and stuff.

But I may be thinking of somethng else idk  :lmao

It wasn't core though.  It used DMM: Persist to cast Guided Shot, among other things.  Fun build though.

Honestly, archer Clerics get a lot better outside of core.  Then again, inside core you get all the archery feats you want REALLY fast... Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot, Far Shot... and we're pretty much out (though a straight Cleric will need Bracers of Archery just to use a bow if he's not an elf). 

If you're only dipping, Ranger might make a better dip.  It gives you the proficiencies as well as Rapid Shot in two levels, and you get a bunch of skills to work with (spot lets you actually see your targets).

JaronK

Bulwer

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 10:04:24 PM »
So no one likes the idea of going Fighter 1?

Thanks so much for all the builds, guys, I really appreciate this.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 11:06:43 PM »
So no one likes the idea of going Fighter 1?

Thanks so much for all the builds, guys, I really appreciate this.

It is nothing against fighter 1.  Just think of it like this.  If say you go elf cleric at level 1.  You pick zen archery as your first level feat.  Take war and maybe elf as your domains.  With Elf domain you get point blank shot as a bonus feat right away.  Take war and you get weapon focus also as a bonus feat in addition to getting deity's favorite weapon as a free weapon prof if you want.  But those together and you have a starting archer with some good feats.  Take fighter, if you wish, at levels 2 and 3 to get things like rapid shot or anything else needed to be a good archer. Then how you want to go from there is up to you but if you do not mind the loss of two caster levels then continue in cleric and rock out.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 11:34:07 PM »
Yeah, if it weren't for the many feats needed for effective archery, there'd be absolutely no reason to have the fighter levels at all. Divine Power makes up for the loss of BaB.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 12:34:12 AM »
Okay, was reading over some things.  I suggest this for a build.

Elf Cleric of "Blank"

Stats:
Str: 14
Dex: 8 (10 after bonus from race)
Con: 12 (10 after penalty from race)
Int: 12
Wis: 16
Cha: 14
Total = 28 points

Domains:
War (Free marital prof in deity's chosen weapon as well as weapon focus in said weapon)
Elf (Point Blank Shot feat free)

Levels:
1 Cleric. Either Precise Shot or Far Shot.
2 Psychic Warrior. Feat you did not pick. Again Precise or Far Shot
3 Psy Warroir. Zen Archery and either Rapid Shot or Psionic Shot. (My vote going Psionic)
4 Cleric.
5 Cleric.

Skills as you see fit though concentration is a biggie to do as I helps a lot!

Yes I know you said core but the other core stuff is still a tad bit away for archery and to me psi shot is a heck or a lot more helpful then rapid BUT take out Psy warrior and through in fighter if you wish.  Take Zen at 2 and at 3 and 4 Precise and Far.  At 6 Rapid and you are set.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 12:43:54 AM by SeekingKnight »

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 12:41:09 AM »
Meh. I'd recommend Rapid Shot over Psionic Shot--the actions you take to regain psionic focus (full-round or a move action if you have the feat for it) plus the fact that one attack will likely (especially at higher levels) deal better average damage than Psionic Shot's extra damage make Rapid Shot better.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 12:51:56 AM »
Good point.  Did not think on that.  Still the option is there.   :)

Small Edit:

OP, is your DM allowing you to use wisdom in place of dex for all ranged feats since you are taking zen archery?  If yes then all is well.  If no then go ranger instead.  It may not work as well as with Zen because you still need to put points into Dex but you can go for a lower int (say 12) and little cha. Ranger still uses Wisdom for their spells so nice job but the zen archery seems to only count wisdom for shooting a bow and not for other feats which use dex.  Of course if you go this route you could opt to go druid with a bow till 6th level.  All depends on you.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 01:15:47 AM by SeekingKnight »

Bulwer

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 01:34:31 AM »
Alas, Zen Archery is not to be; I've been shut down. He says "give your cleric some dex", so that's the plan, more or less.

Black Knight

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 01:48:36 AM »
Race:  Elf
FEATS
H:  Point Blank Shot

Lol, fix your build...

Darn.  That's what I get for posting so late.   :banghead

Fixed.
If you are an ethical person, you do the right thing even when no one is watching...

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 07:12:05 AM »
Alas, Zen Archery is not to be; I've been shut down. He says "give your cleric some dex", so that's the plan, more or less.

Asked about allowing SRD-content outside of Core?
If Human Paragon is in, I'd still go Human.
If really core only, I'd use Wood Elf(from MM, even has Ranger as favored class for a nice dip).
Psychic Warrior is nice, even without Zen Archery. My choice would be Half Giant(yeah, +1 LA sucks for caster. Large Comp. Longbow does make up for it. Gets Huge with Righteous Might, or even a simple Enlarge Person)

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 07:48:09 AM »
although i normally love to dip ... in a CORE only game, it is better to stay focused on what you are doing ... keep the Cleric Power as high as possible ... you wont need too many feats for archery in Core, since there are not that many that can help for the build you are looking for .... All you really need are : Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot  .... Weapon Focus is not really needed, but since you get Both Weapon Proficency and Weapon Focus with War domain it is well worth it

this allows you to be good at ranged attacks with a relatively low Dex .... Divine Power will help a lot in boosting combat abilities

your Spells, especially Summoning, will help a lot more

:D

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 04:20:42 PM »
Agreed, dont forget to use your summons. I know I had a player make a similar build and he got so side tracked with the damn bow he started neglecting his spells completely  :banghead
Slappin ho's like E-Honda