Author Topic: Kineticist, now up!  (Read 2149 times)

Avanter

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Kineticist, now up!
« on: June 27, 2008, 12:18:13 PM »
First, the rough build.

Human
LEVEL
FEATS
Psicrystal Affinity, Elemental Envoy, Envoy Cognizance

Privileged Energy

Psionic Meditation
Empower Power

Expanded Knowledge (schism)
Steady Concentration

Knockdown Power/Paraelemental Power (cold only)

Metapower- Kdown Energy Current or Para Cold, Widen Power

Metapower- Knockdown Energy Wave

Quicken Power
POWERS
Inertial Armor, Energy Ray, Energy Arc
Skate, Vigor
Energy Missile, Share Pain
Energy Push, Tongues
Energy Cone, Touchsight
Body Adjustment, Energy Lance
Energy Ball, Dimension Door
Freedom of Movement, Dispel Psionics
Schism, Energy Current, Solicit Psicrystal
True Seeing, Telekinetic Buffer
Energy Barrage
Mind Over Energy, Temporal Acceleration
Energy Wave
Inconstant Location, Contingency
Bend Reality
Greater Teleport, Iron Body
Tornado Blast
Plane Shift, Adapt Body
Reality Revision

Items for your consideration.

Level 1- Build gets going by taking all 3 feats of the Envoy cognizance chain. As far as what one to take, that is somewhat up for discussion. Just takes offensive and defensive powers.

Level 2- Takes a utility power, to help move around the battlefield, and Vigor, to setup next levels powers.

Level 3- Takes energy missile, the pre-req for Privileged energy, and share pain, which we all know what happens when used with vigor.

Level 4- Another utility power, and a battlefield control nuke. I would consider swapping energy push for something else, but I don't know what else I would take.

Level 5- Touchsight for the utility, and energy cone for the area. Empowered and non-empowered Energy Ray (of your chosen energy type) at this level will both do 7d6, so we have to wait a bit for empower to start paying off. Because of this, Empower is taken at 6th, and psi-meditation at 5th.

Level 6- Energy Lance (cold) is a great control power, the other effects don't seem to match up. Combined with knockdown power, or paraelemental power, you can really stop someone in their tracks. If you are choosing cold, I would take paraelemental power at 12th, if going with another energy type you can still manifest the cold lance with knockdown power.

Level 7- Not much to be said here. Energy Ball gives you the range and area over Energy Bolt, and Dimension Door is a great utility power.

Level 8- Again, not a flashy level, but 2 great utility powers.

Level 9- Ok, this is where the fun really starts. This level you can triple your actions and damage dealing. Taking schism is almost a no-brainer for all psions, but by taking energy current and solicit psicrystal (envoy?), You can deal steady damage and manifest 2 other powers, and have a move action!

Level 10- A control power and a great utility power. Telekinetic Buffer keeps enemies away, and when they flee, slows them down. A great power to open up combat with, especially at 15th level, when your schism can do it. Steady concentration removes the need to rolling ever again to get your focus. Now, once per round, you can get your focus back automatically as a move action. This could possibly be replaced by a better feat, and just toss a lot of skill ranks in concentration. However, to take 10 in combat to get your focus to use metapsionic feats, when your build depends on them, can not be understated.

Level 11- The replacement to Energy Ball, with a shorter range. This power is better to empower than augment. At 13th level, for 13 pp, you can overlap for a combined 21d6 with any type of energy (but you get better range and ! At 15th, you can get 24d6 with your chosen energy type. Not only does it do great damage, NO power resistence!

Level 12- With knockdown power, a whole new world of control opens up. Manifesting a Knockdown Energy Current and having your Envoy concentrate on it (might require GM approval for solicit envoy, while you have your entire action, plus schism, makes you one of the best controllers out there. While your envoy is knocking down and dealing damage to the BBEG, you can use their prone position to help you decide what to do. If they fail and are prone, hit them with a touch attack. If they make it, you can use a knockdown power of your own, targeting their worst save (ref of fort) while the fighters pile on.

Level 13- Only one power, but its a good one, not because of the damage, but because of the HUGE area. Widen power is taken almost for this power exclusivly. If you fight a lot of mass battles, a 240' cone is nothing to sneeze at.

Level 14- 2 ultility powers, contingency is another no-brainer, and inconstant location is an even better way to move around than dimension door.

Level 15- This is a bit of a tricky level. Not because of the power, but because you get 2 feats! If cold is your chosen energy type, you can take Metapower- Knockdown energy lance or Metapower Paraelemental Energy Lance. If cold is not your chosen energy type almost anyother meta[ower with knockdown would be good pick. I like widen power here, for energy wave. Also, you could take talented and overchannel, which should be considered.

Level 16+- The high level powers are slim pickings. I like taking plane shift and alter form at the same time, and Greater teleport is just a good one to have. Iron Body is a great one to share with your envoy. I didn't finish up the powers know because there really aren't a lot to pick from, and it seems like a way to even out your utility powers. Quciken power is a must somewhere around these level, giving you yet another action in combat. The metapower knowdown energy wave can probably be spent on something else, but the area is just so big! Also, if you use cold, metapower paraelemental cold energy wave will be put to good use.

So what feats/powers would you all recommend? Should I go talented/over channel?

« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 04:40:43 PM by Avanter »

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
Re: Kineticist, now up!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 05:34:57 PM »
The EE is a good choice, at early levels.
Personally, I like the Earth EE, but you may have a different idea in mind.
Just take a look at the (ps) abities it gets, and then don't pick them for your powers.
That'll free up Energy Ray for Vigor at 1st level.
Energy Arc gets a meh from me, I'd take (iirc) Demoralize as a multiple target power.
Skate might not be needed if you take the EE that has it.
Inertial Armor, if you aren't the skill monkey in the party, can be anything else, just go ahead and wear Armor, and "suffer" the penalties if you happen to fall into that ocean you failed a spot check on.

Later, the EE is locking up a feat slot, but it is dismissable.
So bye bye EE, hello psicrystal, and an extra feat like Leadership.
PHB2 retraining on the feat slot, or Psychic Reformation, or what happens to the dismissed EE feat anyway ?

Expanded Knowledge (Metamorphosis) and Metamorphic Transfer feat
are A L W A Y S good choices, even if that isn't what you want your character to do.

Carnivore has a specific Kineticist build in his guide; now at the very top of the consolidated psi/otherjunk Board.
Linked Power feat, is almost always superior to Quicken.