Author Topic: Seeking Wizard crowd control spells that don't rely on saves!  (Read 7709 times)

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: Seeking Wizard crowd control spells that don't rely on saves!
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2010, 11:01:19 PM »
One round later, the creature rolls a 20 on his Int check.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2010, 11:02:38 PM »
One round later, the creature rolls a 20 on his Int check.

One round later, the party is buffed.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 11:19:53 PM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2010, 11:46:14 PM »
Forgive me if I don't want to pay twice the price for uninked dice that I'll have to sandpaper.

Yea, but THESE are sharps that are actually truly random! Watch the videos, srsly!
Truly random, provided I sandpaper them perfectly and get even amounts of ink on them.

Or leave them uninked and not sandpaper the spurr off, it doesn't actually affect the rolls...

I can't read those damn dice. If any of my players brought those to my table, I'd tell them to use white out and deal with improper probability.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2010, 04:17:27 AM »
Yea, I have added whiteout to mine! :) And whiteout doesn't change the probability, neither does the spur, neither does having or not having the spur, it's the SHAPE OF THE SIDES that changes the probability; these, being sharps, have good randomness in the shape of the sides... I'm not sure if the D-total is a Sharp dice, though...
BG's other resident furry!

Olo Demonsbane

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2010, 04:04:48 PM »
My DM mastered a technique to help ensure he rolls high on d20s.  He reliably gets a 14 or higher.

At present, I'm a Conjurer5/Swordsage1/Incantatrix3.  I hoped to use (ranged) touch spells or spells with no saves to hurt or hamper foes.  Where can I find these?

Ray of Dizziness is a great spell: No save slow?  I'll take it!

Ray of Stupidity is a No Save, Just Die against animals and things of animal intelligence.  And, with liberal metamagic, can even take down normal creatures or severely debuff wizards.

Streamers (Shining South) is the most broken spell ever.  It's also the most awesome.  You can get it next level, but it really gets awesome if you can boost your CL a bit.  UMD a bead of karma, and cast Infernal Threndory (sp), and you triple the effect.

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2010, 07:09:40 PM »
My DM mastered a technique to help ensure he rolls high on d20s.  He reliably gets a 14 or higher.

At present, I'm a Conjurer5/Swordsage1/Incantatrix3.  I hoped to use (ranged) touch spells or spells with no saves to hurt or hamper foes.  Where can I find these?

Ray of Dizziness is a great spell: No save slow?  I'll take it!

Ray of Stupidity is a No Save, Just Die against animals and things of animal intelligence.  And, with liberal metamagic, can even take down normal creatures or severely debuff wizards.

Streamers (Shining South) is the most broken spell ever.  It's also the most awesome.  You can get it next level, but it really gets awesome if you can boost your CL a bit.  UMD a bead of karma, and cast Infernal Threndory (sp), and you triple the effect.

I make a will (disbelief) save.

Celerity is teh brokenest.
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2010, 07:33:06 PM »
Party
Human Fighter9 - He's interested in killing things.  Has the "Impatient" flaw, preventing him from taking 10 or 20.

Human Druid9 - He seems confused at his role.  He has Natural Spell, but melees in human form by using his scimitar.  Sometimes uses call lightning or flame strike, only to have the enemies save.  His animal companion, a big ol' wolf, is about as frail as he.

Human Artificer6/Renegade Mastermaker2/Effigy Master1 - He relies on explosives, blast rod, and his hand cannon (it shoots shrunk cannonballs) for damage.

LA0 Aasimar Paladin4/Cleric5 - He's intended as the defensive tank.  Level-wise, I don't know why he went this route, but he claims Smite Evil is awesome.
Sounds like you managed to discover the original 3.5 playtest group :P

...I don't know if I should laugh or cry :lmao

I had a guy in my group play a Knight, he would get mad if anyone helped him in combat. Also he was so weak, that his cohort who was a full 4 levels lower then him, actually hit more and harder then his knight.  :banghead
This guy sounds awesome.  As for the dice, I probably shouldn't mention I broke down recently and spent $24 on one of those 80 (or some really high number) dice in one.
http://www.gamescience.com/newproducts

http://www.dicecollector.com/D24_ALEXANDER_SIMKIN_GAMESCIENCE_D_TOTAL_01.jpg

Awesome!!

Why the hell would you need a d24? lol
I do like the idea of having the d4,d6,d8,d10,12,20 all in one. But I think adding "the super cool d3,blahblahblahblah,d24" is over kill. This thing almost looks like some sort of failed crop circle  

edit: Not only that, but I just looked closer at it and notice they use the 1-24 for the d2,d10,d20,d24. Thats pretty lame. I think they should take out the crappy roman numerals d5. And replace it with some sort of functional percent die... like maybe just have it say 10/20/30 etc. and then use the 20 as a 10 how they said...
phew.. confusing
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 07:39:53 PM by dna1 »
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2010, 07:55:44 PM »
Right up there with Fireball man, right up there!

Handy Links

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2010, 08:01:17 PM »
Doesn't it deal damage every time your opponent takes an action, any action?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2010, 08:33:45 PM »
Talking!  Free action!  Have some damage.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2010, 09:10:03 PM »
Talking!  Free action!  Have some damage.
Spellcasting?  Hope your concentration check is high enough to take that damage (5d10 per streamer).

It's a spell I would actually consider using Maximize on.  It is that good.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 09:12:41 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Gunhaven

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Something clever.
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2010, 09:12:47 PM »
This guy sounds awesome.  As for the dice, I probably shouldn't mention I broke down recently and spent $24 on one of those 80 (or some really high number) dice in one.
http://www.gamescience.com/newproducts

http://www.dicecollector.com/D24_ALEXANDER_SIMKIN_GAMESCIENCE_D_TOTAL_01.jpg

Awesome!!

Why the hell would you need a d24? lol
I do like the idea of having the d4,d6,d8,d10,12,20 all in one. But I think adding "the super cool d3,blahblahblahblah,d24" is over kill. This thing almost looks like some sort of failed crop circle  

edit: Not only that, but I just looked closer at it and notice they use the 1-24 for the d2,d10,d20,d24. Thats pretty lame. I think they should take out the crappy roman numerals d5. And replace it with some sort of functional percent die... like maybe just have it say 10/20/30 etc. and then use the 20 as a 10 how they said...
phew.. confusing
We've used the D24 for random chance when we didn't have anything to base it on and wanted something funner.  And you can just use a D10 if you want percentile chances counted out in tens.  And yes, it can be confusing.  It comes with a little instruction thing (a piece of paper) that has the table of how to get every result.
My first handbook: Leadership and Army Making  Always a work in process.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2010, 06:39:20 PM »
So how is it going with your D-total. Have you found any games or systems where it might actually be useful?? :D
BG's other resident furry!

Gunhaven

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Something clever.
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2010, 06:47:37 PM »
So how is it going with your D-total. Have you found any games or systems where it might actually be useful?? :D
Not really.  I did use it to keep my level in a game of Munchkin.  I'm not currently playing any D&D games right now, one in a week and about four more a week after that one.
My first handbook: Leadership and Army Making  Always a work in process.

Greyfell

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2010, 01:42:20 AM »
Grease (yes, allows a save) + ... Gust of Wind.  Happy iceskating folks.
Yes, I'm a huge fan of 3rd edition bards.  Keep this in mind if I mention something bard-centric in response to posts.