Author Topic: Good ways to deal Ability Damage  (Read 5153 times)

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
Good ways to deal Ability Damage
« on: July 28, 2010, 12:54:22 PM »
It is assumed in D&D that most combat encounters are ultimately resolved via hit point damage.  However, most creatures have 6 stats.  Getting any of those stats to 0 disables the creature just as effectively as hit point damage.  Moreover, while dealing hitpoint damage generally has no effect on the creature's combat ability - after all, a troll at 1 hit point hits as hard as a troll at 30 hit points - dealing ability damage will often also debuff the creature in significant ways.

Cons: There are more creatures immune to ability damage than there are creatures that are immune to hit point damage.

I want to create a list of effective ways to deal ability damage.  I will not be adding poisons as there already is a guide to poisons here: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0

This is what I have so far:
Strength
Spells
 Moon Bolt (SpC)
Class Features
 Rogue 10 - Crippling Strike (Core)

Dexterity
Spells
 Shivering Touch, Lesser (Frostburn)
 Shivering Touch (Frostburn)

Constitution
Spells
 Cloudkill (Core)
Weapon Qualities
 Wounding (Core)

Intelligence
Spells
 Ray of Stupidity (SpC)

Wisdom
Weapon Qualities
 Mindcrusher (MiC)

Charisma
Powers
 Ego Whip (XPH)
Feats
 Maiming Strike (EoE)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 04:33:07 PM by Rebel7284 »
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Empirate

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Good ways to deal Ability Damage
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 01:42:46 PM »
I've been working on a handbook for this. After getting together 6 or 7 Word pages, I ran out of steam. Not much seems to go on in 3.5 land anymore, so I figured it wasn't really worth the effort. I could email you what I got so far if you're interested. PM me if you are.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 01:51:59 PM »
PM sent :D
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

bearchucks

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Being Batman...with chainsaw bearchucks
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 01:58:53 PM »
Rogue10 Crippling Strike (Str)
Touch of Idiocy (Reach Spell or Spectral Hand lets you make it not touch any more if you want/need that) 1d6 damage to each of the mentals.
Any number of undead incorporeal touches

And things are still happening in 3.5-land.
http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf  The smallest, shortest, simplest ruleset of any RPG I've ever seen.  If 3.5 is too complex and you don't like 4.0, try this.  It has very few rules and is just short of freeform.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 02:04:16 PM »
Touch of Idiocy applies a penalty according to its text.

Edit: uh, Rogue 10 is WAY farther into Rogue than most people want to go, but it's a good ability so added.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 02:08:24 PM by Rebel7284 »

zioth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 04:00:43 PM »
Don't forget Wounding weapons for constitution damage.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 04:27:38 PM »
Added

Slaughterhouserock

• Hail to the king, baby.
    • Horror Movie Fans
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 05:28:14 PM »
This thread has a list of some spells that deal ability damage.
The DM giveth and the rogue taketh away.
I have a 5 in Charisma and Diplomacy is a cross-class skill.  Hopefully I don't piss off too many people.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 05:33:23 PM »
Poison can be good, especially if it's all plant matter based so you can make plenty of it free (or nearly so) with Minor Creation.  Black Lotus does 3d6 con/3d6 con damage, DC 20, while Sinmaker's Surprise does 2d6 con/2d6 con with some acid damage at DC 24.  Combined with poison save boosters (Assassination weapons being the best) and save reducers (terrifying strike, sickening strike) this can get difficult to resist, especially when put on arrows that are fired en masse.

JaronK

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 05:45:25 PM »
For the Penalty type, they're still worth noting I think, since you can use them to 'tenderise' an opponent before bringing his effective stat to 0. Sure he'll get back up eventually, but you only need him down for the fight.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 06:11:23 PM »
For the Penalty type, they're still worth noting I think, since you can use them to 'tenderise' an opponent before bringing his effective stat to 0. Sure he'll get back up eventually, but you only need him down for the fight.

It's debatable if it works.  A penalty can't bring a stat to 0.  So what happens when a 10 Dex creature is hit with a Shivering touch for 8 and then takes a -4 penalty to Dex from a spell?  Does it change if the spell order is reversed?

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 06:14:15 PM »
Hmm, point, any RAW on the matter?
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

the_shadowmind

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 09:18:36 PM »
The weakling shadowcaster has flesh fails, and afraid of the dark.
Afraid of the Dark is 1d6+1/4 level(max +5) wisdom damage, will half.
Flesh fails is 4 STR, 4 DEX, or 2 CON damage Touch, no save.
Flesh fails greater, close range, one creature/level in a 20 ft radius spread, 6 STR, 6 DEX, or 4 CON, same choice applies to all.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 09:23:36 PM »
Not much seems to go on in 3.5 land anymore
I do not understand this gibberish!
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Empirate

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 08:24:46 AM »
Well, haven't you noticed how slow this forum is getting? Do you know of any 3.5 sites that still go strong?

Regarding ability penalties and ability damage: I think it's rather straightforward. If you have Str 13, take 6 points of Str penalty from being exhausted, and take 9 points of Str damage from a Shadow's touch, you're now at Str 4, effective Str 1. The Str damage directly reduces your ability score, while the penalty only modifies your effective ability score.

A more interesting question would be: If you get a Str bonus from somewhere, does it still apply when your base ability score is reduced to zero? For example, you're Str 13, under the effect of a Bull's Strength spell, and get Str damaged by a Shadow for exactly 13 points. Do you die and turn into a Shadow immediately? Or do you die and turn into a Shadow once the spell's duration runs out? What if your Str damage is greater than 13 points, but below 17?

BTW: similar questions could be asked concerning temporary HP, although these don't represent a "bonus" in the technical sense of the word.

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 08:58:21 PM »
Temp HP is always lost first, so the issue never comes up.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 10:12:31 PM »
Well, haven't you noticed how slow this forum is getting? Do you know of any 3.5 sites that still go strong?

It's not any worse than usual
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 01:04:23 AM »

Yarr, you just got the usual academic year/holiday season slowdowns, nothing to note.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 11:42:10 AM »

Yarr, you just got the usual academic year/holiday season slowdowns, nothing to note.
Plug: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=350.msg251923#msg251923
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2010, 05:52:40 PM »
Some people have a neat 4,5 month summer vacation, so the posting rate goes down, down, down.

Handy Links