Author Topic: Help with Marshal/Druid/Beastmaster  (Read 1133 times)

BOTDuo

• Monkey bussiness
Help with Marshal/Druid/Beastmaster
« on: July 24, 2010, 01:35:16 PM »
To preface- My current character is Marshal 2/Druid 1. In my current game the DM said the companion would benefit for this game but I plan to use it in other games as well.

So I had an idea of a druid that basically controlled an army of animals. I took marshal to get the auras Motivate Charisma and Hardy Soldiers. My only problem now is...Animal intelligence is 2. You need at least a 3 to benefit from the aura. I thought of seeing if I could put a headband of intellect or something on it to increase it to 3. Then the next hurdle is, boosting an animals intelligence to 3 makes it a magical beast and those cannot be animal companions right? It's a double edged sword.

Is there any way I can keep my companions and have them benefit from my auras? Yeah I know it's not truly optimized but I thought that if anyone would know ways around this issue it would be the community that know the rules head to toe to get the most out of them.

One other thing while I am at it. My wolf is magebred and I am training it to be wartrained. If I do increase it's intelligence and it becomes a magical beast, can I still train it to be wartrained? I thought I saw an update that said you cannot apply the template to magical beasts.

Gunhaven

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Something clever.
Re: Help with Marshal/Druid/Beastmaster
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 04:06:34 PM »
Arcane Hierophant maybe?  Your companions become Familiar Companions.  It's in Races of the Wild.  Requires casting level 2 arcane spells, but there are a good number of ways around that, just look for the handbook in a google search.  Best of all it could be done with a 1 level dip, so something like Marshal 2/Druid 3/Wizard 1 or 3 (Depending if your DM lets the shenanigans for early entry)/Arcane Hierophant 1/Beastmaster.
My first handbook: Leadership and Army Making  Always a work in process.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 05:59:56 PM »
Boosting an animal's intelligence above 2 does NOT make them change type.  Every template that increases Intelligence (with one noteable exception) changes their type, but nowhere does it say an increased intelligence changes their type.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 06:54:26 PM »
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070209a&page=4

How about a Beastheart Adept? It's basically a beastmaster but with magical beasts instead. Taking a bloodline from UA/SRD can boost your effective BHA level to 13 for determining your monsterous companion level.