Author Topic: Rate Friend's Mage Slayer  (Read 14635 times)

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Rate Friend's Mage Slayer
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2010, 07:49:13 PM »
and Magic affiliation I guess...

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2010, 08:58:29 PM »
Yeah, but since you can only have one affiliation benefit active each day, might as well take the awesome one.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2010, 09:00:55 PM »
What about Factotum with 2 levels of occult slayer, the mage slayer line, reach weapon and readied actions?
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2010, 09:12:31 PM »
Yeah, but since you can only have one affiliation benefit active each day, might as well take the awesome one.

It is better in its function, however, it does allow a save...which is not good.

Though, it is a rather high save, usually over 40, which is rather difficult for a wizard to make...but that's what ring of nine lives are for.

Like most things, it just depends.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 09:15:20 PM by Azrael »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2010, 10:08:06 PM »
If they've got access to teleport, and you guys don't, that's rather dickish of a move.

Oh, wait.

Did the warblade take the "Make a concentration check in place of the save" maneuvers, and pump his concentration?
If you're talking about Moment of the Perfect Mind, the warblade and warblade/swordsage both have those.

So... since half-dragon seems to be a popular choice of template to be thrown on you guys, and you definitely want the wings from it, starting out as a half-ogre is probably a good idea. You're going to have to eat a bunch of LA anyway, so might as well pick some of it yourself. :P Eventually aim to be a half-ogre/half-dragon cleric, and cast that short AMF cleric 4 spell I mentioned on yourself (whose name I forget... it was in CChamp or PHB2). If you're immune to fire, you should always set yourself on fire, also. All the time. :D Specialize in grappling, cast your AMF, and ready an action to charge and grapple any enemy who comes within range, and use your attack to grapple them (and burn them... with your fire...). I forget if you can ready a charge in 3.5... I think you technically can't... unless you're staggered... but your DM might not know that (and it's a stupid rule, anyway).
Troll Ur-Priest/BoneKnight... you might not kill em but they would damn well have a hard time killing you.
No good. No half-ogre or troll in the party. No one's gotten one pregnant, nor are any of us ogres or trolls. So that idea's no good. You play ONLY the offspring of your last character and whoever you ended up with during the game. No exceptions unless you're a new player, or can not have children (ie undead like the sorcerer).

The choices for each of us are: Elan or succubus/incubus or thri-keen or human with half-fey or feytouched templates or half-fiend template if going human or elan. Later on he may be able to access his silver dragon and janni blood (it got locked away this campaign). He's also got ice devil blood. Don't know if he'll have access to his half-celestial blood though.
Red dragon or human with half dragon template. He'll also have access to psionic, merilith, and earth elemental blood. He might even be able to be a chain devil.
Hound archon or imp or tiefling or aasimar and the half-celestial and half-fiend templates. The other things he might be able to be are currently a secret.
Then there's me. It's like a paragraph long for what I can choose to be. I've put that in other posts so I'm not going to repeat it here.

And they can teleport more than once per round somehow.
More than once per round, AND throw off a delayed-blast fireball.

Why doesn't everyone just run away when they do that?
Kind of hard when you're trapped, and they're contracted to kill you. Damn assassin squad. Even worse when you do kill them, and they come back anyways because you didn't kill them on their home plane.

Would a Noctumancer work? They have a couple of immediate action counter spell effects with a bit of wizard casting themselves.
Don't know that one. Where can I find it?

There's just the whole "they are going to be 8 levels below whatever they encounter" problem to deal with.
Oh no, we'll have the levels, just won't have the HD.

What about Factotum with 2 levels of occult slayer, the mage slayer line, reach weapon and readied actions?
He doesn't have those books (I know he doesn't have Dungeonscape for sure) so I'll be sure to bring them to his place early on Friday. No hurry though. We've still got a lot to do with this campaign. I think we'll be level 30 by the time we're done this one. Maybe two more months before we really have to concern ourselves. No one's really got any clue what they want anymore. No one expected the last few sessions to hurt us like they did. I mean, at this level you expect to die, but not that fast, and not every encounter.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2010, 10:19:18 PM »
Any clue how the enemy assassin squads are getting 3 standard actions a round?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2010, 10:31:45 PM »
Thanks to one character's True Seeing, we've discovered that each assassin has two invisible demons with them. One teleports them in, the mages casts, the other one teleports them away. Rinse and repeat. They also never appear in the same place twice unless they absolutely have to.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2010, 11:26:55 PM »
Thanks to one character's True Seeing, we've discovered that each assassin has two invisible demons with them. One teleports them in, the mages casts, the other one teleports them away. Rinse and repeat. They also never appear in the same place twice unless they absolutely have to.

Divert teleport?
Planetouched Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2010, 12:13:42 AM »

Divert teleport?
No one has it. Last campaign we had a psion.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2010, 12:35:22 AM »
Contingencies are out?
Planetouched Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2010, 12:47:11 AM »
Contingencies are out?
Not if you're willing to pay for them.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2010, 03:10:05 AM »
Well, Anticipate Teleportation is a 3rd level Sorcerer/Wizard spell. A CL 5 item 1/day of it would be 5900. That's a 24 hour, 25' radius emanation that delays the arrival of the teleporting creatures by 1 round and tells you where and how many are coming.

If the DM is just having them appear at the extreme range of fireball and disappearing before you notice anything, he's an asshole.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2010, 03:13:29 AM »
If the DM is just having them appear at the extreme range of fireball and disappearing before you notice anything, he's an asshole.
That about sums it up, yeah. My ranger is about the only reason we see anything. Spot check of +22 makes things fairly easy to spot. Especially when a lot of the stuff is silenced.

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2010, 03:36:29 AM »
You're DM has just won the Top 10 worst DM awards. So kevin_video's DM tell the viewers at home how it feel like to be awarded with this honor?

I think is a yet another case of power tripping from your DM, I've seen your other threads on these DMs and this seems par for the course. Anything you or your friends do will be simply countered.

If it wasn't for the mass LA, I would suggest, cloistered cleric(picking the Domain the increases dispel checks), warlock(picking at least one of the dispel invocations)/ eldritch disciple/ then advancing cleric.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2010, 03:39:22 AM »
If it wasn't for the mass LA, I would suggest, cloistered cleric(picking the Domain the increases dispel checks), warlock(picking at least one of the dispel invocations)/ eldritch disciple/ then advancing cleric.
Well I e-mailed him tonight about what you guys said, and he said he kind of felt that the build wasn't quite there after I forwarded him a few links to other ones, including the fighter one (which had been his first plan of action anyways). So he'll go with the incubus warlock/hellfire warlock. At the very least he'll have less LAs to worry about if he goes that route. Possibly.
As for me, I'll see how it goes. Got a few months left anyways.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2010, 04:22:31 AM »
You're DM has just won the Top 10 worst DM awards. So kevin_video's DM tell the viewers at home how it feel like to be awarded with this honor?
He'd been holder of that award for a while now I think.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2010, 04:23:03 AM »
He'd been holder of that award for a while now I think.
Probably for about 2-3 months.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2010, 06:29:32 AM »
Wait... wait... It's for THAT game? Abandon Ye All Hope Who Enter Here...
Forsaken Lands mud?  ;)

1) A way to detect them.
2) A way to get to them.
3) A way to negate/bypass their defenses.
4) A way to keep them from just running away.
5) A way to not die before they do.
PXY is right. However its far harder to be an offensive antimage (no single mage is safe from you) than a defensive one (no single mage can defeat you). And really, even to just not die is unreasonable for optimized casters. I had a thread on this that threw in the idea of homebrew - however it was mostly page after page of people who couldn't read the OP and didn't want to answer the question of how far one has to homebrew an antimage class to defend against casters  :banghead
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Korwin

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2010, 07:05:10 AM »

There's just the whole "they are going to be 8 levels below whatever they encounter" problem to deal with.

What does that mean? Full casting, fewer HP?

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2010, 11:10:24 AM »

What does that mean? Full casting, fewer HP?
His DM stacks templates(with all the level adjustment that comes with that) like other people stack buff spells.
And treats them as if they were worth the full LA.
Without buyback.
And adds more every time they die, replacing levels.
This means they die more often.
Getting more 'awesome' templates.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."