Author Topic: Is there an "Ask a Simple Question" thread for Non-D&D games?  (Read 961 times)

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
As the title. If not, maybe this can become such.
Um

Q1 How would one make an analogue of Manipulate Form in Mage: The Awakening (i.e. what arcana, how many dots, that sort of thing)?
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Is there an "Ask a Simple Question" thread for Non-D&D games?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 11:26:46 AM »
A1
Like the one used to ascend Pun-Pun?
Assuming nWoD.

It depends on who and what you're affecting with it.
Life 2 allows you to transfer features to and from simple lifeforms like bugs, plants, fungi and microbes, 3 for non-sentient complex life. Life 4 is required to transfer features to(but not from) sentients, but nothing is mentioned about supernatural traits.
Use the highest applicable, and the effect is Vulgar and not allowed to be indefinite.
Life 3 if you're taking on the changes to yourself.
Life 5 allows you to create an outright freak of nature, but specifically does not allow the traits so created to be transferred with lower dots of Life.

Spirit 4 allows you to make a Fetish(sealing a Spirit inside something to allow the use of it's Numina) or induce Possession, which may not be that bad if you have the Spirit under control with another spell.
Spirit 5 allows you to directly manipulate Spirit Numina(the powers of Spirits), adding and removing them as you see fit, limited to spirits with rank at most equal to the lower of your Spirit or Gnosis.

So assuming you want supernatural power transferred to yourself, you'd need a Spirit 4+Life 4 to seal a Spirit into yourself(turning yourself into a Fetish) or a somewhat questionable Spirit 5 + Life 4 to grant yourself Numina and get smacked by the GM. Increase that to Spirit 5 + Life 5 to get more than a few days duration out of the Fetish trick or Spirit 6 + Life 5 to get the same effect with transferring Numina.
Life 5 might allow you to use Fantasia on yourself, but given that you start taking damage from people looking at you, thats not a good idea.

None of those are allowed to be of Indefinite Duration, mostly due to the 6 dot rating you'd need for that.
EDIT: Except maybe for Summoning/Awakening, Controlling and then Possessing yourself with spirits. Costs quite a few willpower dots to relinquish or run out of spells you can sustain in a jiffy though, since you can't Combine Control and Possession without needing Spirit 5, which reduces the duration to the lesser Prolonged.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 11:29:42 AM by veekie »
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."