Author Topic: Choosing a cohort...  (Read 2497 times)

S_Jerusalem

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Choosing a cohort...
« on: July 03, 2010, 06:05:41 AM »
I am trying to choose a cohort to compliment my Egoist Psion6/Anarchic Initiate 10. My group is lacking in an arcane caster, and aside from myself is a bit weak at ranged combat as well.

My build is pretty standard, similar to Carnivore's. I have been thinking a bard of some sort, perhaps Sublime Chord. Oddities go over alright, so I was also thinking something like a Hulking Hurler could be a fun teammate.

Assume ECL 14, no LA buyoff, no Realms/ToB, and that I will maintain maximum leadership score to L20, and no more than 1 flaw.

I have this sick idea of a 1/2 Ogre Abjurant Champion/Hulking Hurler that uses Shrink Item wackiness, but the problem there is only bringing it in with 1 level of Hurler, or not getting the nice CL bump from AC5 to start.

Thaosyr23

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • aquaman, best superhero ever?
    • Email
Re: Choosing a cohort...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 10:49:59 AM »
artificier is always fun, instantly lets you double your WBL.

For casters/psions the pal of tyr/hex/blackguard gets fucking nasty around lvl 10, throw in some binder/KoTSS and all enemies within 10 feet get -6 to all saves automatically. I just made a phenric gold dwarf pal tyr 4/hex 3/ blackguard 3 that has saves of 24/20/23 and 34/40/33 vs spells. mettle is in there, ring of evasion is manditory.

at that lvl any arcane caster will dominate, even 2 levels behind

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 04:20:59 PM »
I'd go for a
Bard(any LA 0 dragonblooded race, that suits you) 6/ War Weaver 3/ Bard +1/ Sublime Chord 2/ War Weaver +2
with Metamagic Song, Extra Music and Extend/Persistant Spell.
Throw on Draconic Aura, if you still have room for Feats.

Casts as a Bard 9 & Sublime Chord 4, should be able to persist a few choice Buffs and use his tapestry mostly for healing.

Nyarlathop1

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 10:40:37 PM »
A noble with that one merchant prince prestige class could be funny and useful in the "mooching all his stuff" sense.

Another good bard prestige class for general battlefield effectiveness is warchanter.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 08:12:41 AM »
If you're keeping leadership maxed, you're gonna have a bunch of low-level followers.  Might as well stick a bow or crossbow in each of their hands and have dragonfire inspiration running.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 04:07:17 PM »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

S_Jerusalem

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 06:17:05 AM »
I love that War Weaver, Ivory Knight. As I was leaning to Bard anyway, I think I will likely do something along those lines.

Considering that, what might I want to take for her next few levels? I thought perhaps Virtuoso instead of the +1Bard, so I could pick up a few more Music levels at the end, instead of 1/2 Music levels... I dunno.

We are playing Age of Worms, and have been told we will end in low epic levels 22-23ish. I have some plans for my other lackeys, but DI will be huge when we deal with any of the possible pitched battle scenarios that seem likely to occur. Also, since undead are one of the primary monster types, fire damage isn't totally gimped!

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 08:26:51 AM »
you might also try this:

Star Elf
Bard 8/ Arcane Archer 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Warweaver 2

gives a nice boost to Ranged Combat also

an alternative might be like this:

Changeling
Ranger(Trapfinding Variant) 2/ Marshal 3/ Chameleon 7

lots of versatility both in Combat and out of Combat .... great support character

:D

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 09:36:50 AM »
If you can get some of the good Bard Spells from Spell Compendium, I second the Archerbuild from carnivore :clap
Core only the Bard lacks good Spells to Imbue his Arrows with(Imbue Arrow is the whole point of being an Arcane Archer, isn't it?).

Depending on Race/Build you can easily switch the Damage Type of DI to, for example, sonic.

S_Jerusalem

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 03:03:59 AM »
I have access to pretty much any non-setting specific official books, excepting ToB. So, Carnivore's build, or something very similar, is what I am working on.

The SC bard spells are pretty nice, and using Sublime Chord, I will actually be able to pull off a few of the really abusive imbue arrow tricks too.

Does anyone have good feat suggestions, Carnivore maybe?

What do you all think about going with Abjurant Champion instead of War Weaver for such a build? I am mostly thinking of this because my party is somewhat large, so WW without all 5 levels is probably not optimal for the situation. Still not bad, of course. I would change out one meh feat for another, and gain more BAB, another level of SubChord casting and the nifty AC abilities too.

I am going to try to lobby my DM to let me use the Pathfinder Arcane Archer and just take more levels of that instead, but I am unsure of whether he will be cool with that.

Thanks for all the help so far, everyone!

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 08:50:56 AM »
Depends on what you want your cohort to do:
Raining Destruction on your enemies, while being well protected and able to dispel as a swift action? Go for AC, it'll help your arrows to hit.
Buffing your Party to the hilt and after he's done stay back and fire a few arrows? More Warweaver, possibly even Uncanny Trickster for a really dirty trick(7th Level Spells and more targets for your Weave).