Author Topic: Barbarian Tricks.  (Read 6784 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: Barbarian Tricks.
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 05:07:06 PM »
rage feats at first level? a bold idea but not so useful the way I see it.
If you want them, first level would be one of the better times to take a rage feat.  I often find it hardest to choose good feats at first level, because much of what I want for my characters require higher prerequisites.  If you want a rage feat and qualify at first level, take it, and leave your higher level feat slots open for better feats that have prereq's to meet first.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 09:27:20 AM »
I'd almost always choose Feats that "can only be taken at Level 1" over Rage Feats,
but that is settingspecific(Faerun, I'm looking at you) or racespecific(e.g. Human or Warforged)

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 06:35:21 PM »
rage feats at first level? a bold idea but not so useful the way I see it.

Yes. Extra Rage is all the rage.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Cammy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 11:40:46 PM »
A little off topic, but I've seen people talk about bear warriors with weapons on various occasions but wouldn't wielding a sword with paws be quite hard?
Which just gives you a half decent melee attack with massive str, and not all that much damage unless you get monk in there somewhere.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 11:54:39 PM »
A little off topic, but I've seen people talk about bear warriors with weapons on various occasions but wouldn't wielding a sword with paws be quite hard?
Which just gives you a half decent melee attack with massive str, and not all that much damage unless you get monk in there somewhere.

There's the Mouthpick weapon improvement in Lords of Madness.  +1 equivalent special ability, allows the weapon to take the place of a bite attack (but can make iterative attacks) if you have one.  There are also Gloves of Man, in Savage Species.  42,000 gp, put 'em on your paws/tentacles and they serve as fully functional hands for you.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 02:16:47 AM »
Savage Species has the Gloves of Man which can let anything with paws use them as hands, including to wield weapons.

Empirate

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2010, 12:39:27 PM »
And who wants to spend a round putting on Gloves of Man instead of laying the hurt down? You are a huge friggin' bear already, time to rip some faces off, time for the gloves to come off.

:P

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2010, 12:52:45 PM »
And who wants to spend a round putting on Gloves of Man instead of laying the hurt down? You are a huge friggin' bear already, time to rip some faces off, time for the gloves to come off.

Depending on your Str score, and how much Power Attack you can get away with, a two-handed weapon will usually be better than two claw attacks.  And you can use it more than once with high BAB.

Cammy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2010, 12:31:10 PM »
There's the Mouthpick weapon improvement in Lords of Madness.  +1 equivalent special ability, allows the weapon to take the place of a bite attack (but can make iterative attacks) if you have one.  There are also Gloves of Man, in Savage Species.  42,000 gp, put 'em on your paws/tentacles and they serve as fully functional hands for you.

Ah! That makes bear warrior quite a bit more interesting. Should make one in a future campaign!

For now I have to 'control the will' with my Frenzied Bezerker. Steadfast determination helps a bunch but I'm not sure my DM will let cumberous will go, as I got Bullheaded as a bonus RP feat.
Immunity to shaken means Cumb will is a free +6 to will for one feat.

Any other ideas on the FB? All the old topics on the wizards boards are gone :(

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2010, 02:32:04 PM »
FB? When fighting fleshy targets, use a merciful weapon and just CDG after the battle. If you hit your allies along the way, they're just passed out. Maybe for a week. But still.

Empirate

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2010, 09:05:39 PM »

Depending on your Str score, and how much Power Attack you can get away with, a two-handed weapon will usually be better than two claw attacks.  And you can use it more than once with high BAB.

Yes, I'm aware of that...  :rollseyes

I just can't imagine telling my DM the following: "Kraagoth the Killer begins to bellow curses at the enemy, shakes his fists and begins to frothe at the mouth. Next you know, he's on all fours, only to stand up on his hind legs again as a huge raging battle-bear! Oh, and he also put on his gloves." Somehow, this doesn' feel right to me...

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2010, 09:13:03 PM »
Just say he's a bearserkser going bearserk.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2010, 10:59:19 PM »
Oh, and he also put on his gloves." Somehow, this doesn' feel right to me...

Polymorph is the base effect of bear form and that allows you to keep wearing the same equipment when you transform, as long as both forms have the appropriate body shape to wear it. 

Empirate

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2010, 11:01:16 AM »

Polymorph is the base effect of bear form and that allows you to keep wearing the same equipment when you transform, as long as both forms have the appropriate body shape to wear it. 

YES, I truly AM GETTING it that this is rules legal.  :rollseyes  :rollseyes  :rollseyes
I just can't imagine how this would make any sense whatsoever flavor-wise. And I know this is MinMax and I probably shouldn't bother coming here upholding fluff over crunch, but still...

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2010, 02:46:51 PM »

YES, I truly AM GETTING it that this is rules legal.  :rollseyes  :rollseyes  :rollseyes
I just can't imagine how this would make any sense whatsoever flavor-wise. And I know this is MinMax and I probably shouldn't bother coming here upholding fluff over crunch, but still...

Rage means angry, not stupid.  Just because your concentration is shot doesn't mean you suddenly forget how to kill people correctly.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2010, 06:44:06 PM »
You also keep your mental stats despite looking like a bear. In other words, you're smarter than the average bear!

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2010, 11:43:06 PM »
Note: now I plan to make a Bear Warrior named Yogi, using Might Makes Right to get me a cohort named Boo-Boo.

Now, all we need is a converted Drunken Master, and we're set...
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing