Author Topic: Need help with a very specialized item crafting build...?  (Read 1537 times)

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Need help with a very specialized item crafting build...?
« on: June 27, 2010, 08:49:36 PM »
Hi, I'm looking for help figuring out what would work as the best magic item crafter with a very very specific set of requirements... no, I can't just be an Artificer.  Most sources are open, but the DM is wary about Eberron (this is a FR campaign), and the dm doesn't understand psionics or those other weird arbitrary magical subsystems. So far, here are my requirements:

Note: I *Might* be able to use some specific to Eberron tools and feats, but they have to be LITTLE things, probably not, say, "Artificer".

*Doesn't use the craft points system
*Doesn't require action points, and isn't hindered by the lack of them
*Doesn't use the psionics system
*Is fully compatible with Forgotten Realms, and of a class or flavor that can be found in Faerun
*Is optimized for low level (under 10) crafting
*Can adventure and do crafting on the go
*Focuses in researching, knowing about, identifying, and crafting things that are portable and of use to an adventurer group
*Might be able to help do some mundane and "doesn't require xp" crafting, especially using spells and such to fabricate items, and ESPECIALLY spells at low level, or cast as SLA's to not have the various costs?
*Has an excuse and a good chance to FIND alchemical versions of items or things like potions, and being able to use something like minor creation to find PLANT alchemical versions of items? A plant based, healing salve like, alchemical version of a potion of cure light wounds would be very handy..
*maybe has the ability to craft things that work as focuses rather than expending material components? like the rune system in races of faerun?
*Maybe has an ability to make those weird templated mundane items (dragoncraft, elvencraft, dwarvencraft, etc. etc.)
*Maybe has the ability to craft items that are easier to find than all the obscure wondrous items that do this, that let people with no UMD or arcane ability use something like a spell completion item. I'm thinking the rune system from frcs/pgtf does this, maybe the gem system from mgtf (not sure), maybe the tattoo system from rof, maybe the skull talisman system from fb, maybe the talisman system from OA? which of these subsystems works best for this sort of concept?
*Maybe can get poison use?

So far, I'm thinking maybe an Archivist, maybe a Wizard, maybe a Factotum? I'm not sure.  I very very much do not know any more specifics than this.  What sorts of input do you guys have about this sort of thing?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 01:44:53 AM by Gavinfoxx »
BG's other resident furry!

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Need help with a very specialized item crafting build...?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 09:17:31 PM »
master alchemist from MoF, I think... If that works I can give you more help from there, is drag mag open?
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 09:56:20 PM »
Dragon Magazine should be open, yea...

Umm.. Master Alchemist is a Prestige Class... that doesn't really help... looking for ideas and options with base classes...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 10:11:22 PM by Gavinfoxx »

Glutton

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 10:50:26 PM »
If he is a fan of dragon see if he is also a fan of their parent company, Paizo. They recently released a class for their "3.75" system Pathfinder called Alchemist which is fairly low powered by very Craft alch orientated, a downloadble beta for the forth-comming class book is herehttp://paizo.com/store/downloads/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/v5748btpy8daf. However it does not satisfy your needs for magical item crafting so I dont know if this is along the lines you are searching for.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 11:51:47 PM »
Yaaa... dragon magazine is in, Pathfinder, other non officially stamped sources, like stuff from say, Mongoose Publishing is out...

Is An Archivist with Scribe Scroll, Craft Wand, Brew Potion, Craft Wondrous Items, Craft Magic Arms & Armor, and Inscribe Rune it, then? Wasn't there something from some book, somewhere, that made some wand-like-item that went up to 6th level spells? Between Wands and Staves, I think??
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 11:55:23 PM by Gavinfoxx »

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 12:16:29 AM »
Yaaa... dragon magazine is in, Pathfinder, other non officially stamped sources, like stuff from say, Mongoose Publishing is out...

Is An Archivist with Scribe Scroll, Craft Wand, Brew Potion, Craft Wondrous Items, Craft Magic Arms & Armor, and Inscribe Rune it, then? Wasn't there something from some book, somewhere, that made some wand-like-item that went up to 6th level spells? Between Wands and Staves, I think??
Those would be Scepters from Lost Empires of Faerun (p. 7) which are able to have up to 7th level spells in them.

You might want to try a cost reduction feat or two (see my sig) but beyond that I can't provide much help considering your extremely specific criteria would only really work with Eberron material which you already said isn't allowed.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 12:21:34 AM by Bastian »

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 01:38:28 AM »
Okay, so it looks like to, in Faerun, to be able to do LOTS of stuff with magic items, you need...

ARCANE
Wizard
Class1 Scribe Scroll
1st Extraordinary Artisan
Human Legendary Artisan
3rd Attune Gem
5th Brew Potion
6th Craft Wondrous Item
9th Craft Rod
10th Craft Scepter
12th Forge Ring
15th-a Sanctify Relic
15th-b Craft Contingent Spell
18th Craft Staff
20th Create Portal

or

DIVINE
Archivist
Class1: Scribe Scroll
1st: Legendary Artisan
Human: Extraordinary Artisan
3rd: Craft Wondrous Item
6th: Inscribe Rune
9th: Craft Magic Arms and Armor
10th: Craft Scepter
12th: Craft Rod
15th: Sanctify Relic
18th: Forge Ring
20th: Craft Construct

And is it juts me, or is the rune system for divine and the gem system for arcane do everything potions do and MORE? If it is presumed that you can find ways to get x spell on an appropriate arcane or divine list? Just like scepters do everything wands can do and more? if that is the case gems or runes could replace potions for most things, right?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 03:14:28 AM by Gavinfoxx »