Author Topic: Murdering an optimized prestige paladin  (Read 10920 times)

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
Re: Murdering an optimized prestige paladin
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2010, 05:50:11 PM »
Draconic Polymorph into a War Troll and beat him at his own game.

Or Wings of Flurry specialized Spellwarp Sniper if you can manage it.  Hitting Touch AC 20 is easy, then he is dazed with no save.  Then you lather-rinse-repeat.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2010, 05:57:48 PM »
Alternatively, give him some pomegranates.  Replace all the seeds with large vials of poison subjected to shrink item.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2010, 06:00:26 PM »
Alternatively, give him some pomegranates.  Replace all the seeds with large vials of poison subjected to shrink item.

lol?

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2010, 07:28:03 PM »
Silverbrow Human

Dragonblooded Sorceror 5/ Incantatrix 7

Feats:
Draconic Heritage(Sorceror bonus)
Heighten Spell(Human Bonus)
Iron Will(otyguh Hole cost 3000gp)
Twin Spell(Incantatrix bonus)
Maximize Spell(Incantatrix bonus)
Extend Spell(Incantatrix bonus)
1st lvl: Versatile Spellcaster
3rd lvl: Split Ray
6th lvl: Practical Metamagic(Twin)
9th lvl: Arcane Thesis(Enervation)
12th lvl: Persistant Spell

do this:

1)cast Persistant Polymorph(War Troll form, Large, Str 31, Dex 16, Con 29,+14 natural armor, 10' reach, base speed 40 ft) .... use instant Metamagic Class Ability for this

2)engage with Spells(Enervation, MM, Twin Split Ray Acid Orbs, etc...) or with Weapons(cast Tensers Transformation for this) or Both using Telekinesis and Heavy Crossbow Bolts(1d10)(Great Swords or Orc Shotputs do more damage... but these are easier to carry(less noticable)

alternatives ..... use Wands or Staves and use Metamagic Spell trigger on them

:D

Absolon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2010, 07:36:45 PM »
alternatives ..... use Wands or Staves and use Metamagic Spell trigger on them

That would be good, but Metamagic Spell Trigger requires that you have the feat for creating those items in order to use it and we're kinda cutting it close on feats already.  That being said, Persistent Draconic Polymorph into a War Troll tends to do the trick for a lot of things.   ;)

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2010, 07:47:58 PM »
you are correct.... i forgot to include the Alternative Feats.... Switch out Practical Metamagic(Twin), Arcane Thesis(Enervation)... replace with Craft Wand and Craft Staff(this would be in the 12th lvl feat, Persistant would be moved back to 6th lvl).... although the crafting will put you back to 11th lvl

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 07:50:52 PM by carnivore »

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2010, 09:02:44 PM »
Step 1: True Strike
Step 2: Shivering touch

That is the only way. Otherwise anything you do hit him with will probably bounce off. Stick to stuff with no saves.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2010, 09:22:54 PM »
Step 1: True Strike
Step 2: Shivering touch

That is the only way. Otherwise anything you do hit him with will probably bounce off. Stick to stuff with no saves.

Eh, if I'm close enough to melee touch attack him, he might be able to one-shot me. He's been able to pull off 200+ damage in a round (on a charge, which he can do as a standard action) before. Sure, displacement/greater mirror image/imp. invis/blink/greater blink, but those only reduce the chance, not outright negate it. Engaging from a distance on the back of a phantom steed sounds like the best way to do things.

But yea, maximized empowered shivering touch = win.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2010, 11:39:24 PM »
If he's actually charging, the only way he can do it as a standard action is to be limited to only taking a standard action.  This means that, without travel devotion or sudden leap, he can't charge you if you're standing next to him. 

If he's dealing that kind of damage on a single attack as a standard action, I'd suspect he's actually playing a ruby knight vindicator. 

Could you describe the things you've seen him pull off?  When he deals this 200+ damage, does he roll a bunch of d8s or just add a large number to his damage?  Does he make 3 attack rolls or just 1 when he deals this damage?  Have you seen him take a full round action and a move action in the same round? 

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2010, 11:58:34 PM »
The paladin probably has the boots of battle charging that let you charge as a standard action once of twice per day.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2010, 12:02:01 AM »
The paladin probably has the boots of battle charging that let you charge as a standard action once of twice per day.
yep. plus travel devotion. i suspect he has 3 flaws, and ordained champion along with c.cleric, which accounts for the ridiculous number of feats he must have to pull off the things he does. In order to get that damage, he uses rhino's rush, smite, a valorous weapon, leap attack and maybe some other things I don't know about.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2010, 12:08:28 AM »
yep. plus travel devotion. i suspect he has 3 flaws, and ordained champion along with c.cleric, which accounts for the ridiculous number of feats he must have to pull off the things he does. In order to get that damage, he uses rhino's rush, smite, a valorous weapon, leap attack and maybe some other things I don't know about.
the easy answer is mirror image or displacement then. Better yet combine them. Now he has a small chance of it actually being you that he hits.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2010, 12:20:58 AM »
bad news: phantom steed doesn't fly until CL 14...not sure if you can manage that.
Good news: 240 ft move, even on land, may be a good advantage.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2010, 01:27:38 AM »
The ray spam build looks very attractive with those abilities, you cannot kill this guy quick enough. Be sure to pick up wings of cover for your character to block a few of his charging blows if you need to, also nerveskitter so he does not just beat you in initiative.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2010, 01:30:47 AM »
All right, he could have +5 form holy warrior, +6 from fist of the gods, +12 from smite, and +48 from leap attack and shock trooper.  Doubled from rhino's rush, that's +142 damage before base damage, strength (or wisdom), knowledge devotion, and channel spell.  So, it's entirely plausible that he's dealing 200+ damage without the ability to make a full attack after a charge. 

I reiterate my earlier question, does he make multiple attacks when charging?  It's important because, as a sorcerer, you can negate one attack per round at the cost of an immediate action and a 2nd level spell slot using wings of cover (Races of the Dragon).  If he's relying on one attack per round, he's screwed unless he catches you flatfooted. 

Cammy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2010, 10:49:39 AM »
I reiterate my earlier question, does he make multiple attacks when charging?  It's important because, as a sorcerer, you can negate one attack per round at the cost of an immediate action and a 2nd level spell slot using wings of cover (Races of the Dragon).  If he's relying on one attack per round, he's screwed unless he catches you flatfooted. 
[/quote]

This, and walking up to him and putting your hand on him and knocking him out(from an onlookers perspective) with shivering touch is just massive style points.

Or just Spectral Hand the shivering touch and stay well clear of him.

And as been said before, combining polymorph and the ACF from CC to get an AC in the fifties shouldn't be all that hard. Doubt he has a to hit of over 25 with power attack.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2010, 04:00:37 PM »
All right, he could have +5 form holy warrior, +6 from fist of the gods, +12 from smite, and +48 from leap attack and shock trooper.  Doubled from rhino's rush, that's +142 damage before base damage, strength (or wisdom), knowledge devotion, and channel spell.  So, it's entirely plausible that he's dealing 200+ damage without the ability to make a full attack after a charge. 

Yea, I'm pretty certain he doesn't pounce. ...Might have a belt of battle though. Still, he won't be the only one.
This, and walking up to him and putting your hand on him and knocking him out(from an onlookers perspective) with shivering touch is just massive style points.

Or just Spectral Hand the shivering touch and stay well clear of him.

And as been said before, combining polymorph and the ACF from CC to get an AC in the fifties shouldn't be all that hard. Doubt he has a to hit of over 25 with power attack.

I think I've got this under wraps. Spectral hand isn't a bad idea though. I have about 3-4 ways to take him out in one set of actions, so I'm happy. If the dice screw me, then so be it.

Sjappo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Cheers
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2010, 08:53:38 PM »
Rise o thread of Ancient Times and tell us your secrets.

So, did murdering the paly come up? I just read this and aam way curious  :D