Author Topic: Abusing "Free Action: drop item"  (Read 4118 times)

Phirsole

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Abusing "Free Action: drop item"
« on: June 23, 2010, 08:31:01 AM »
To drop an item in your or a neighboringsquare is a free action. If I have the quick draw feat, I could drop as many items as the DM or my inventory allows.

If I have a bag of delicate glass vials with acid, which shatter from a 4' drop to the ground, I deal splash damage to close squares without attacking. Same with holy water or alchimist fire. I can see magical dust vials (i.e. sneezing and choking), too. I need to be immune/resistant to the stuff, of course.

More of these ideas?

Mixster

• Grape ape
Re: Abusing "Free Action: drop item"
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 09:05:24 AM »
Okay, so let me get this straight, you are drawing and dropping an unlimited amount of items in a neighbouring square?

Can't free actions be taken during any other action? Meaning you could use a move action to move past an opponent, drop a lot of dangeorus things, and then move on, without taking hits from the splashes?
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 09:51:47 AM »
This trick is sometimes used by Iaijutsu Focus-abusing characters who don't want to or cannot use a Gnomish Quickrazor instead. They carry an arbitrarily high amount of weapons of choice (however many they need), quickdraw them, and then drop them to draw another one as part of the same full attack action for Iaijutsu Focus damage on another attack.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 11:11:55 AM »
Of course, as you've already noted, it's limited by DM fiat, so, good luck finding a DM that will let you do eleventy billion damage for a free action. :p
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 12:33:58 PM »
This trick is sometimes used by Iaijutsu Focus-abusing characters who don't want to or cannot use a Gnomish Quickrazor instead. They carry an arbitrarily high amount of weapons of choice (however many they need), quickdraw them, and then drop them to draw another one as part of the same full attack action for Iaijutsu Focus damage on another attack.
The imagery for this one is awesome though, so it might get past.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Cuindless

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Occam's Razor
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 02:53:33 PM »
To drop an item in your or a neighboringsquare is a free action. If I have the quick draw feat, I could drop as many items as the DM or my inventory allows.

If I have a bag of delicate glass vials with acid, which shatter from a 4' drop to the ground, I deal splash damage to close squares without attacking. Same with holy water or alchimist fire. I can see magical dust vials (i.e. sneezing and choking), too. I need to be immune/resistant to the stuff, of course.

More of these ideas?

That's a great one! The closest I've ever seen to that was when a group with optimized UMD used a magical staff with Power Word Kill in it to try and kill a BBEG. It went something like this: The one with the highest initiative uses the staff then drops it into the square of the one with the next lowest initiative. On his turn, he picks up the staff as a move action, uses it as a standard action and drops it into the next lowest initiative as a free action. Rinse and repeat. Their rationale: "Eventually he going to fail his saving throw." It isn't quite as cool as your scenario, but I still thought it was pretty cheesy.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 02:57:23 PM by Cuindless »

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 02:56:59 PM »

More of these ideas?

That's a great one! The closest I've ever seen to that was when a group with optimized UMD used a magical staff with Power Word Kill in it to try and kill a BBEG did something like this: The one with the highest initiative uses the staff then drops it into the square of the one with the next lowest initiative. On his turn, he picks up the staff as a move action, uses it as a standard action and drops it into the next lowest initiative as a free action. Rinse and repeat. Their rationale: "Eventually he going to fail his saving throw." It isn't quite as cool as your scenario, but I still thought it was pretty cheesy.
Power Word: Kill doesn't offer a save, it just kills someone with 100 hp or less. Were they perhaps using Destruction or Finger of Death?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Cuindless

• Occam's Razor
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 02:58:19 PM »
Power Word: Kill doesn't offer a save, it just kills someone with 100 hp or less. Were they perhaps using Destruction or Finger of Death?

*Wipes egg off face* Yes... it was Finger of Death.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 03:00:55 PM »
The chief issue with this(when not using the iaijutsu) is most items dropped this way don't have much of an impact, weigh quite a bit and can't be quick drawn from extradimensional storage.
Ditherbombs would be interesting(they start counting down when violently agitated, then explode at random), but you'd probably get more mileage out of faceplanting.

Might be handy if you can get persistent flight while those items last though. Aerial bombardment :D
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Zaxter

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 05:35:04 PM »
I think I remember someone playing around with this idea some time ago. The character was a commoner with the chicken-infested flaw (some dragon magazine) and pockets full of sand. He'd use quick-draw to draw one grain of sand at a time -- chicken-infested meant that half of the time he'd pull out a chicken instead. Then he'd use a free action to drop the chicken/sand, and repeat until the room was full of chickens. Then when your opponent is bewildered by all the chickens, you use whirlwind attack + great cleave + spiked chain to put some serious hurt on him.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 05:36:57 PM »
Use a spell component pouch instead.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 06:15:42 PM »
2 things to consider ... look at the feat:

QUICK DRAW [GENERAL]
Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +1.

Benefit: You can draw a weapon as a free action instead of as a move action. You can draw a hidden weapon (see the Sleight of Hand skill) as a move action.A character who has selected this feat may throw weapons at his full normal rate of attacks (much like a character with a bow).
Normal: Without this feat, you may draw a weapon as a move action, or (if your base attack bonus is +1 or higher) as a free action as part of movement. Without this feat, you can draw a hidden weapon as a standard action.
Special: A fighter may select Quick Draw as one of his fighter bonus feats.

1)items that you want to drop must be weapons
2)you would be required to carry the items that you drop .... limiting the number of weapons to what you could carry

:D

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 06:39:06 PM »
Also, unless you roll an attack you cannot use Sneak Attack or Iaijitsu Focus.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 06:46:11 PM »
Yeah, but you can draw improvised weapons right? Which lets the chickens work. Sorta.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 06:46:20 PM »
1)items that you want to drop must be weapons

Can't you treat virtually anything as an improvised weapon?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 06:47:30 PM »
Drop explosive rune toilet paper over the boss and have your raven familiar use a wand of Dispel Magic...
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 09:11:26 PM »
Use shrink item on a series of 10 cu ft pillar of granite in the vague shape of a club, and later on, cast alter self to get wings (and therefore, a fly speed). When you're flying over, say, an adamantine golem, Quickdraw and drop a (literal) ton of these things as free actions, and then use your standard to call out the shared command word for the shrink item effects.

Congratulations; a single standard action likely just killed an adamantine golem. At or after level 5.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 12:03:10 AM »
Either The second one lands on the first, the third on the second, etc. preventing you from dropping sub-infinite blocks, or like any other area attack the target gets a reflex save.

Dropping 1 damage items sucks, dropping large rocks sucks. I'd go with contact based poison, Major Creation can generate large quantities too.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 12:11:49 AM »
Use shrink item on a series of 10 cu ft pillar of granite in the vague shape of a club, and later on, cast alter self to get wings (and therefore, a fly speed). When you're flying over, say, an adamantine golem, Quickdraw and drop a (literal) ton of these things as free actions, and then use your standard to call out the shared command word for the shrink item effects.

Congratulations; a single standard action likely just killed an adamantine golem. At or after level 5.
I swear I've seen that somewhere...
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 12:26:56 AM »

one of my players proposed using the same concept to carpet-bomb a city. 
itemize 200-lb boulders as pieces of cloth; load up as many as your flying weight capacity will allow (and at 20 per pound, that's a LOT); destruction ensues.

I can attest to the fact that thrown dice can indeed draw blood.   :D  (not much, mind you; but, hey, I'm not trying to kill anybody)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.