Author Topic: Cha-based Slasher  (Read 2460 times)

skuro

• Monkey bussiness
Cha-based Slasher
« on: June 22, 2010, 02:48:37 PM »
Hi, im building a Cha-based character and im a bit lost on how to optimize it.

I can only use 3.5 material and those specific books:
Core Books + Player Handbook II + Complete Books + Races of the X books + A subset of Unearth Arcana: Variants races/classes
                    Monsters Books + Spell Compendium + Magic Item Compendium.  I can get LA races but there is no XP buyout.

It's a 13rd lvl character.

I want to make a slashing meele based on cha, i found those to be the most interessing:

Cha to:
------------------------------------
Atack and Damage:
=Moving 10', only with one hand/light weapons : Slippers of Battledancing DMG II p272
> Needs the travel domain feat or Dervish
Just damage:
=Divine Might feat : Complete Warrior
> Needs turn undead. So i would have to get paladin, cleric or exorcizer level(s)
= Snowflake Wardance Feat: Frostburn p50
> Needs a slashing weapon and bardic music. The only way is bard levels?
= Thunder Lance : Spell Compendium p220
> Create a Force Lance Weapon. It look greats. But lance's are thrusting =( . Any way to make it slashing?
> Also needs to be able to cast arcane spells.
=Whirling Blade : Complete Arcane p129
>Throws a slashing weapon in one line, it's great! But... again, slashing...
CA:
=Divine Shield feat : Complete Warrior p106
> It needs turn undead.
=Ascetic Mage Feat Complete Adv : Switches Wis for Cha for CA
> Hard requirement... Geting monk and sorcer level(s)
= Sirene's Grace : Spell Compendium
> Great, but again another spell!
Save Throws:
=Divine grace from Paladin 2.  [correction by SKRP , thanks! ]

So i was thinking... What is the best way to get the most of all those?

The best i could think was a Paladin 4/Bard 9(for the spells) but it doesnt work very well i guess... And i didn't found a way to have a slashing lance yet =(.

Any sugesstions?

Thanks in Advance.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 03:19:40 PM by skuro »

SKRP

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Re: Cha-based Slasher
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 02:56:02 PM »
=Divine Health from Paladin 4.

You probably mean Divine Grace (Paladin 2). Arguably, Harmonious Paladin 2/Bard 8/Sublime Chord 2/Virtuoso 8 (or something like that) would work okay.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 02:57:47 PM »
Don't take more than 2 levels of Paladin. Use Ruin Delver's Fortune to boost saves.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 03:55:33 PM by Solo »

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

skuro

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 03:50:53 PM »
Thanks! Good sugestions!

I still wanted to have a slashing lance though =(

Unfortunally Ruin's Delver Fortune is from the web and my DM doesn't allow it because of that =(
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 03:54:10 PM by skuro »

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 03:55:53 PM »
Ruin Delver's Fortune is from the Spell Compendium.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 04:33:30 PM »
Thanks! Good sugestions!

I still wanted to have a slashing lance though =(

The best bet would be the weapon shift spell from the spell compendium.  It is a level 1 sorc or level 2 bard spell, which allows you to shift a weapon from one type into another.  It works on magic weapons and weapons retain special materials.  It is questionable though if it would work with the thunderlance spell.  There was a heated debate on wizards 3.5 spell boards about if thunderlance is a spell or a weapon (although that threads focus was on if it bypassed DR and if it really did force damage).  I would allow it as a DM, although I don't think it is RAW.

I might suggest the build:  Bard 2/Paladin 2/ Cleric 1/Dweomerkeeper 1/Bard 4/Sublime Chord 1/ Dweomerkeeper 9

Praciticed spell caster should cover the 4 non-bard levels for spell casting level.  Dweomerkeeper can boost bard by 1 level to get you to 7th level progression for 3rd level spells early, and progress sublime chord afterwards.  The dweomerkeeper is a web enhancement for Complete divine, so maybe the DM won't let it in if web stuff is out.  The key with the DK is the ability to cast spells without material or xp components by making them supernatural instead of spells.  This has the added benefit of making your thunderlance non-dispelable.  You need the magic domain from the cleric, but you might also be able to pick up the travel devotion that you were interested in.  Also since the races books are in, Races of Destiny has the Illumian race.  No HD or LA, but they can get the ability to burn turning attempts to apply a metamagic to a spell for free twice a day.  Like divine metamagic, but it does not have to be a divine spell.  It will allow you to go the persistent spell route with thunderlance to always have the spell up.  You can also select their ability to get a +2 caster level if you want to take more DK levels sooner in place of bard.

Also if you are going with the thunderlance.  The spell compendium has come evocation robes that add 2 points of damage to a evocation spell per spell level 3 times a day.  The robes cost 10,000gp and will boost your thunderlance damage by 8 points.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 04:50:14 PM by Widow »

skuro

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 07:56:28 PM »
Omg, thanks a lot!

Perfect answer!

It's the solution i was looking for xD

This will make the great thunder lance character i wanted  :lmao

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 08:02:13 PM »
Oooooh. Arcane Duelist.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 08:12:43 PM »
Also if you are going with the thunderlance.  The spell compendium has come evocation robes that add 2 points of damage to a evocation spell per spell level 3 times a day.  The robes cost 10,000gp and will boost your thunderlance damage by 8 points.

Oops, I meant Magic Item Compendium.  The item is called the Vest of the Master Evoker, it is on page 146 and costs 10,000gp.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 10:20:59 PM »

Oops, I meant Magic Item Compendium.  The item is called the Vest of the Master Evoker, it is on page 146 and costs 10,000gp.

I don't think that's worth the price.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 10:29:30 PM »

It is 3 spells a day, not 3 times.  So if you cast a persistent thunderlance, it adds 8 points of damage on every attack you make with it for the whole day.  Sorry I did not word it better.  Another neat trick is to apply Fell Drain Spell metamagic from Liber mortis.  You drain one level from the target every time they take damage from the spell.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 10:46:25 PM »

It is 3 spells a day, not 3 times.  So if you cast a persistent thunderlance, it adds 8 points of damage on every attack you make with it for the whole day.  Sorry I did not word it better.  Another neat trick is to apply Fell Drain Spell metamagic from Liber mortis.  You drain one level from the target every time they take damage from the spell.

That, however, is tasty :)
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.