Author Topic: Building a Monk:  (Read 4077 times)

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Building a Monk:
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 01:05:51 AM »
I completely support having at least 1 level in Tattooed Monk. It's great for having a wise monk, especially since one of its tattoos gives an enhancement bonus to Wisdom for class level rounds a day.

The fun part is that it never specifies that only tattoos from the class modify the bonuses and such. So get 20 psionic tattoos, and revel in the DR 2+2(# of tattoos-1)/Magic one tattoo gives you.
On rereading the class it doesn't say the tattoos have to be magical, just that you have to possess them. Hell i'm playing a tattooed monk and murdering entire pirate ships  :sofa
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 06:31:36 PM »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 08:24:52 PM »
Warblade 4/Warshaper 4/+Warblade :P
Probably using tiger claw? With a focus on constitution and strength.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 01:20:39 AM »
murdering entire pirate ships  :sofa
Silent and Deadly...just like a ninja.
I prefer to relate it to that one story in Drakengard, actually.

You know, that one about the monk with a spear that goes and kills pirates?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2010, 03:58:49 AM »
I would probably add in a few levels of Warmind to the build to get the bab up and grab expansion. All of the first 6 levels make great breakpoints and so do levels 8 and 9. with thaselora you won't lose too much of the monk stuff either. On the other hand losing maneuvers is sad... just throwing some ideas out there for consideration.

here is a sample;

1 ss/2 monk/3 ss/2 warmind/4 warshaper/4 warmind/4 Master of Nine

requiered feats:
Knowledge Devotion(psionics)
Practiced Manifester
Master of Nine prereq feats

thaselora would be good for some extra monk ability.

16 bab, but only an Initiator level of 14, but a manifester level of 10, which allows you to increase by two size categories for almost two hours.
Flat 14's for base saves.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2010, 05:53:57 PM »
Warblade 4/Warshaper 4/+Warblade :P
Probably using tiger claw? With a focus on constitution and strength.

PERFECT! THIS IS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!

I'm having trouble getting excited about playing a monk, actually. In my books, that is bad for a character that I want to play long-term. Any thoughts for non-spellcaster builds effective from 1-high levels? (I'm thinking straight Warblade... I want Double Stance.)
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2010, 06:31:16 PM »
I'm a fan of half orc paragon3/monk2/warmind5/bearwarrior5/warmind5, note that half orc paragon allows you to rage even if you are lawful

Now you're a really big and angry kung fu bear.