Author Topic: How to optimally use Illusions WITHOUT Shadowcraft Magic?  (Read 2389 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
How to optimally use Illusions WITHOUT Shadowcraft Magic?
« on: June 19, 2010, 07:32:07 PM »
A Shadowcraft Mage can turn a silent image into a killer weapon.

I'm more interested in how to best use silent image, major image, project image, and permanent image (all as written in the PHB) to their best effect.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: How to optimally use Illusions WITHOUT Shadowcraft Magic?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 08:38:56 PM »
It all depends on the situation.  Illusion can be one of the most powerful/versatile schools of magic, but you have to be creative to make it so.  There really isn't any advice that can be given as virtually all of those spells are best used in specific ways in specific situations.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Phoenix00

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 08:43:50 PM »
Nightmare Spinner adaption that makes monsters normally immune to mind affecting spells suddenly immune to them.

LargePrime

• Curious George
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 09:10:44 PM »
what is the difference between being normally immune and suddenly immune?

Phoenix00

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 09:28:38 PM »
I meant to say are suddenly not immune to the mind affecting effect.  (they can be affected by mind affecting spells).

Nevermind I reread the ability and it only works on charms and dominates not just normal mind affecting spells.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 03:01:57 PM »
For DC increases? Bards can increase DC with their music and the right feat, Beguilers can increase DC by catching enemies flatfooted.

Numbers? Enhanced Shadow Reality feat (or something like that - some Dragon issue) ups reality of (shadow) spells by 20%.

Though really, the true power of illusions is not achieved by optimization, but by having a powerful imagination.

Typical uses:
General Casters - Greater Mirror Image and cast normally.
Sneak/caster hybrids - Greater Invisibility + Darkstalker and use illusions as decoys.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 03:05:38 PM »
also requires a reasonable dm
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 05:02:39 PM »
also requires a reasonable dm

Yep, this is the biggest factor to Illusion effectiveness perhaps even moreso than the players creativity.
Placeholder - T'tosc

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 05:08:37 PM »
Mix with conjurations to keep the bad guys guessing what is real and what isn't.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 08:39:16 PM »
Mix with conjurations to keep the bad guys guessing what is real and what isn't.

Ha! Forgot about that one. That was one of the classic minibosses I used. :)
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 04:58:42 AM »
Silent image can pretty effectively mimic a wall of stone or fog.

Major image can pretty easily mimic gate, making your opponents run when you summon a freaking solar, couple it with looking like you are reading it from a scroll and it probably works better.

It does require you enemy to not have spellcraft though, but I doubt many of them actually have that anyway.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 07:03:36 AM »
I like Silent Image to summon horrible incorporeal things, myself.  The sudden appearance of a dread wraith should scare the crap out of anything smart enough to know what it is, and its silence and attacks passing harmlessly through it don't spoil the illusion.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 11:39:49 AM »
I like Silent Image to summon horrible incorporeal things, myself.  The sudden appearance of a dread wraith should scare the crap out of anything smart enough to know what it is, and its silence and attacks passing harmlessly through it don't spoil the illusion.
:bow :devil :bow

Also remember to use fly and silent image to create a floor below you. It looks like your just standing there, and they'll never check the floor.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]