Author Topic: Outfitting a Knight:  (Read 2760 times)

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Outfitting a Knight:
« on: June 16, 2010, 07:21:47 PM »
I've got 13000 gold to outfit a tripper knight. I've got the basics (Dwarven Warpike, Restful Crystal) but I need some help expanding that. (Enchanting the Warpike is also an option.)

I'd also, if its possible, like to get some armour that makes the most of my high dexterity for combat reflexes. I've currently got a 14 in dex, for 3 AoO per round. This means I'll be losing some of that in Plate Mail.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Outfitting a Knight:
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 07:31:10 PM »
Mithril Breastplate is generally considered a very good armor, providing a +5 armor bonus, +5 Max Dex, and an ACP of -1.  It also doesn't slow you down at all and counts as light armor (so you could dump the crystal and get a different one).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 08:12:13 PM »
Actually, because I'm taking Knight 20 and I have 3 shitty bonus feats, I've got endurance. I could use Mithral Plate Mail and not need a Restful Crystal. (as well as still maxing out my dex bonus.) I'm just looking for other options.

I can spend all of my gold on one item, if I so chose.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

bananaphone

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 11:08:42 PM »
Check out the Nimbleness enchant from the MIC.  It adds a +2 to the Dex bonus and decreases the armor check penalty.  It's a +1 enchant.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 11:11:45 PM »
Check out the Nimbleness enchant from the MIC.  It adds a +2 to the Dex bonus and decreases the armor check penalty.  It's a +1 enchant.
decreases ACP by 2 and increases Max Dex by 1, I'm afraid.  Still handy.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

bananaphone

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 11:25:29 PM »
decreases ACP by 2 and increases Max Dex by 1, I'm afraid.  Still handy.
:shrug  Thanks!  That's what I get for posting before checking my sources.

Edit:  To add to the discussion, there is a +3 enchant called Halfweight from the Underdark book.  It treats the armor as "Light".  It can be useful if you dip for abilities that require you to be in Light armor or less (such as Evasion).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 11:32:40 PM by bananaphone »

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 11:55:47 PM »
I'm not getting any evasion. Knight is a class best taken as a dip, or til 20.

+1 Nimble Plate Mail is 4650 gold, and is perfect for my purposes. (+11 AC)

That just leaves me with 7850 gold (After Restful Crystal) to spend on that warpike (45gp base) and anything else. (Handy Haversack?)

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 12:48:08 PM »
Bracers of Opportunity are 2300
Belt of Growth is 3000
Anklet of Translocation is 1400
Healing Belt is 750
Cloak/Vest of Resistance is always nice :)
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 07:20:59 PM »
Healing Belt. Wow. Definitely should have thought of that.

Are the Bracers of Opportunity really worth 2300? +2 to AoOs and 2 free AoOs per day?

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 07:35:08 PM »
Are the Bracers of Opportunity really worth 2300? +2 to AoOs and 2 free AoOs per day?

Yes.  You're getting +2 to your main mode of attack for barely over 2000g. 
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 12:29:41 AM »
Is a 1/day Enlarge Person for 10 minutes or less worth 3000?

Especially when I'll have a friendly neighbourhood god wizard to do it for free?

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 01:11:06 AM »
Is a 1/day Enlarge Person for 10 minutes or less worth 3000?

Especially when I'll have a friendly neighbourhood god wizard to do it for free?

At this point, it may not be.  Especially when it's the same slot as the healing belt.  It's certainly a nice thing to have around in the future though.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 02:51:04 AM »
Perhaps. Would Steadfast boots (Always considered ready against charges, among other things) be worthwhile when I get x2 damage with my weapon against charging targets when it is readied against charges?

I'm off to Bunkos!