Author Topic: Fast Paced Casting and Early Qualification Shenanigans  (Read 1744 times)

Awkward Map

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Fast Paced Casting and Early Qualification Shenanigans
« on: June 13, 2010, 11:32:29 PM »
In a game I'm currently playing in the DM has become interested in how to speed up the casting of a sorcerer or any other spontaneous casting class.  I mentioned the dragonwrought/loredrake/white dragonspawn approach to him as it is the only one I know of.  Q1: How can he speed up the casting progression of a spontaneous caster?

When I mentioned that it's possible to use some tricks to enter prestige classes early he was interested.  The only one that I can remember offhand is the Shadowcraft Mage one.  I think you become dragonborn, thus qualifying for Practical Metamagic (Heighten Spell).  You could then get in with a level 6 beguiler by heightening the 3rd level spell into 4th.  Q2: What are some tricks to entering spellcasting prestige classes early?

Some additional information: The campaign is intended to be as crazy as possible for both players and DM, so the most stinky, dirty cheese you can come up with as possible would be great.  We have in our party currently: A hulking hurler who hucks around 36d6 boulders each and every turn, A Druid 5/Planar Shepherd 7, and a Dragonwrought/Loredrake/White Dragonspawn Sorceror 5/mindbender 1/MotAO 6 (me).  So please bring on the ridiculous.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 03:22:36 PM by Awkward Map »

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Fast Paced Casting and Early Qualification Shenanigans
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 12:18:22 AM »
A1 I think all the sped-up progression tricks only apply to a Sorcerer, I'm afraid (As much as the Generic Spellcaster kicks the Sorcerers arse at every turn).

Q2 Rainbow Servant requires only 3rd level spells. Utilise Earth Spell/Sanctum spell to qualify as a 1st level Beguiler, after 10 levels you can spontaneously cast all Cleric spells

Awkward Map

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 12:36:29 AM »
Q2 Rainbow Servant requires only 3rd level spells. Utilise Earth Spell/Sanctum spell to qualify as a 1st level Beguiler, after 10 levels you can spontaneously cast all Cleric spells

We're currently a party of level 12 characters, so that's a great find.  I think I'll edit a little more information into the OP.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 01:01:46 AM »
Also, see the Phaerimm from Lost Empires of Faerun.  These worm-like thingies count all Sorcerer levels and PrC levels that advance Sorcerer as DOUBLE.  The LA is about 3 though.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 10:36:09 AM »
River's Ravages
Epic freaking pwnage.

A 2 year old Loredrake Steel Dragon Sorcerer 1 (5hd/2la/cl4) is ECL 6 after LA Buyoff.
1. If it were to cast River's Ravages(rr) using Reserves of Strength's(ros) it ages 14 years.
2. At age 16 it is Young, thus giving it an additional +4 levels of spellcasting for 8 in total.
3. Using it's new spell access it casts Bestow Curse aging it to Juvenile (26yrs) and again, +2 levels of casting for a total of +6.
4. It recasts RR, caster level is (4 base + 6 age + 3 ros) so the spell is now giving +26 years rather than +14.
5. It chooses to apply Bestow Curse's penalty after RR as it is stacked favorably that way making it a Young Adult (51yrs).
6. Again, +2 levels of casting. It has in total access to 6th level spells now.
It has the same +6 spellcaster level mod the illegal Loredrake Dragonwought Kobold would have if it were a White Dragonspawn Abomination that some how rolled out a double roll and then triple spellcasting. Only it's legal and doesn't require borked rolling.

Not broken enough? I can do one better.
Do the trick two levels later in the game(or at least find a +2cl booster somewhere) and buy a Runestaff with Hasten The End. This time around use your bonus HD to nab the Swift Concentration skill trick and Versatile Spellcaster which you'll use to combine two 7th level spell slots to cast the 8th level Hasten spell. Concentrate until you are a Great Wyrm, then at this point either make up an Epic Spell with a spellcraft check of 0 to keep your old age or cast an Extended River's Ravages for +52 years of age, apply Bestow curse and a Greater Bestow Curse mimicing but stacking with the first curse to have 52 rounds of being a Mature Adult. Which is really nice since you have 22 racial HD so you can still snag Epic Spellcasting and can open up to the use of the casting delay mitigation to create some forced age effect in case you are having trouble with mitigation using Hasten.

ECL8 before casting, epic pwnage afterwards. That is the power of a True Dragon.

That is the power of a True Dragon.
^ It should be a motto ^
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Awkward Map

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 02:22:34 PM »
Wow, I've never heard of either of these tricks before.  Thanks for the injection of obscurity.

What books are Steel Dragon and River's Ravages from?  And the text from Bestow Curse doesn't mention aging.  Perhaps I'm missing something?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 02:27:03 PM »
Wow, I've never heard of either of these tricks before.  Thanks for the injection of obscurity.

What books are Steel Dragon and River's Ravages from?  And the text from Bestow Curse doesn't mention aging.  Perhaps I'm missing something?
Book of Vile Darkness has some more options for Betow Curse.  One of them is aging the target to the next category.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.