Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Robot Ninja Pirate Edition  (Read 128223 times)

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Robot Ninja Pirate Edition
« Reply #860 on: July 01, 2010, 11:18:27 PM »
Q 224 "Graz'zt was the creator of the Vasharans, a breed compared to humans as the drow are compared to elves."

Where can I learn more about, as well as find stats for, vasharans?
A224
p.12-13 BoVD

The only real difference between them and humans, is that (effectively) their 1st level bonus feat must be used for a Vile feat.
Found them thanks.

So I guess a much needed follow up.

Q 226 Is there a valid/official 3.5 update for BoVD?
have fun with that  :P
I don't think that there was even an errata (though, there may be some stuff addressed in FAQ :shrug)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #861 on: July 01, 2010, 11:19:56 PM »
Q 224 "Graz'zt was the creator of the Vasharans, a breed compared to humans as the drow are compared to elves."

A224
p.12-13 BoVD

The only real difference between them and humans, is that (effectively) their 1st level bonus feat must be used for a Vile feat.
Found them thanks.

I don't think that there was even an errata (though, there may be some stuff addressed in FAQ :shrug)
Well that's nice of them considering some of the stuff has been updated. Like DR 20/+7. :rollseyes
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #862 on: July 01, 2010, 11:22:38 PM »
Actually, I'm pretty sure there was an update (I have a pdf with an appendix containing the updates), but I have no idea where to get it short of getting said pdf.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #863 on: July 01, 2010, 11:31:08 PM »

A224
p.12-13 BoVD

Found them thanks.

Well that's nice of them considering some of the stuff has been updated. Like DR 20/+7. :rollseyes
for stuff like that, I'd probably sift through the other updates for comparable analogs, and adjust accordingly (ELH and MM2 come to mind)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #864 on: July 01, 2010, 11:33:14 PM »
Actually, I'm pretty sure there was an update (I have a pdf with an appendix containing the updates), but I have no idea where to get it short of getting said pdf.
All I've got is a pdf with the FAQ on it.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #865 on: July 01, 2010, 11:59:58 PM »
Q225
Is there any specified requirements for a monster to gain a class level?
IIRC, it needs to be sentient (i.e. Int 3+). Otherwise, it just takes the level and that's it.
Q227
Okay, assuming an animal companion somehow got smart, outside of awaken, can it take a class level?
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #867 on: July 02, 2010, 01:11:01 AM »
Q 212: A five HD outsider takes a level in Warlock.  It also gets a feat.  What would be good feat choices given that it only has a CL of 1?  It's other feats are Magic in the Blood and Improved Initiative.  It's racial SLA isn't really combat-related.

The best thing I can come up with is Mortalbane.  It doesn't have the ranks for Knowledge Devotion.
Q 216: Do Draegloth count as Drow for qualification of feats and PrC's?  If so, where is this stated?
Multi-bump

Q 228: Where are "Broadhead Arrows" found?  My DM swears they are somewhere, but I didn't find them in A&EG or RotW.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #868 on: July 02, 2010, 01:50:47 AM »
Q 212: A five HD outsider takes a level in Warlock.  It also gets a feat.  What would be good feat choices given that it only has a CL of 1?  It's other feats are Magic in the Blood and Improved Initiative.  It's racial SLA isn't really combat-related.

The best thing I can come up with is Mortalbane.  It doesn't have the ranks for Knowledge Devotion.
Q 216: Do Draegloth count as Drow for qualification of feats and PrC's?  If so, where is this stated?
Multi-bump

Q 228: Where are "Broadhead Arrows" found?  My DM swears they are somewhere, but I didn't find them in A&EG or RotW.
Might be in a dragon magazine.

ShriekingDrake

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • The Forest Has Eyes
« Reply #869 on: July 02, 2010, 01:52:16 AM »
Q229: Some debate has arisen in our group.  The DM has let a player add the saint template at 6th level--he's now a Paladin Saint.  Anyway, the player would like to buy off the LA.  We can't seem to come to consensus on just how to do that when the template and LA were added at level 6.  Help.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #870 on: July 02, 2010, 02:04:13 AM »
Q229: Some debate has arisen in our group.  The DM has let a player add the saint template at 6th level--he's now a Paladin Saint.  Anyway, the player would like to buy off the LA.  We can't seem to come to consensus on just how to do that when the template and LA were added at level 6.  Help.
Well, by strict RAW, you can buy it off right at that level, but strict RAW is kind of dumb on this one (since you could then get a ton of LA+1 templates,buy them off individually, and end up with stupidly large amounts of stuff.).

The way I houserule (to make them as non-broken as possible)

Step A: You gain a new level adjustment of value X at level Y
Step B: You gain XP until you are at level Y + 3X
Step C: Your new level adjustment is X-1
Step D: Go to step A, plugging in your new level adjustment.

So if you gain a LA+2 template at level six, your buyoff time is six levels (2*3).  It's reduced to LA+1 at level 12, so your buyoff time is now three levels (1*3).

The assumption is, of course, that you're trying to optimize - and if you're willing to pick up a LA at a higher level, it has to be quite good to even bother with.  The problem of the level adjustment counter resetting if your LA increases is a bit harsh, but it prevents shenanigans.

Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #871 on: July 02, 2010, 02:15:28 AM »

Multi-bump

Might be in a dragon magazine.
#349 has a boat-load of different arrows, but broadhead isn't one of them.

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #872 on: July 02, 2010, 02:16:59 AM »
What do they do?  Are they like serpenttongue (deal slashing damage?)
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #873 on: July 02, 2010, 02:18:47 AM »
A229
Sounds like he already leveled to 6th, or in the case of adding saint, 8th level. My first thought is to say he has to wait until he levels up again, but the varient says he has to buy-off immediately. So then I think it boils down to two choices.

1. Let him buy-off right now, 15k xp - 7k xp = 8k making him a 4th level character, +1 LA and 3 class levels. He would become weaker, but would gain xp faster and catch back up.

2. See if the DM will let him gain 7k xp and then buy-off +1 of the LA. Presently he has ~15k xp, to level up again he needs another ~21k xp. He would be stronger, but gain xp slower, letting other catch up to him.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #874 on: July 02, 2010, 02:23:00 AM »
What do they do?  Are they like serpenttongue (deal slashing damage?)
The DM said they up the die damage one step.  So a Shortbow would deal 1d8 damage.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #875 on: July 02, 2010, 05:33:30 AM »
Q 230 Is there a Savage Species progression of the Gargoyle somewhere?

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #876 on: July 02, 2010, 06:50:33 AM »
Anyone have the answer to this one?:

Q219: Where is the Quick-Escape (nonmagical) armor upgrade located? I know I've seen it somewhere, but I can't find it in either Dungeonscape, Complete Scoundrel, Arms and Equipment Guide and Song and Silence, so I'm kinda running out of ideas on where I saw it...

Thanks,
~Bowen
I think you might be looking for a armor attachment thing in Races of the Wild.
Unfortunately it's not in RotW. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks,
~Bowen
It's not in RoS either, so...

Bump
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #877 on: July 02, 2010, 10:27:54 AM »

Q219: Where is the Quick-Escape (nonmagical) armor upgrade located? I know I've seen it somewhere, but I can't find it in either Dungeonscape, Complete Scoundrel, Arms and Equipment Guide and Song and Silence, so I'm kinda running out of ideas on where I saw it...

Thanks,
~Bowen

Thanks,
~Bowen

Bump
Complete Adventurer, I think.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #878 on: July 02, 2010, 10:31:47 AM »

Thanks,
~Bowen

Thanks,
~Bowen

Bump
Complete Adventurer, I think.
No special armors in CAdv as far as I can tell. Maybe it was a Dragon mag or a web article.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Lobo6717

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #879 on: July 02, 2010, 11:07:35 AM »
Q 231 I'm looking for some Wizard spells that gear more towards benefiting an armored melee component.  Such as the cleric's Magic Vestment and Divine Power.  For these specifically, I've thought of taking the Arcane Disciple feat, but then I would need to bump my Wisdom up.  I could also try to research arcane versions of these, but was curious if there are other options that I'm missing.

The two main things I'm looking for are enhancing worn armor and increasing attack bonus (BAB at caster level just sounds so nice)

For background, the character concept I'm thinking of is a Fighter 1/Wizard 4/Runesmith 5