Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Robot Ninja Pirate Edition  (Read 128217 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Robot Ninja Pirate Edition
« Reply #740 on: June 28, 2010, 10:15:13 PM »
Follow up to the Tanarukk question.

Q 189 In the 3.5 update is says "+5/+7; +5ft". What's that about?
The first is the BAB/Grapple entry, which wasn't present in 3.0 stat blocks.  Not sure about the second.
It also says to add fire resistance 10, but it already has fire resistance 15. So does that mean it loses 5 resistance, or does it mean it has 25 resistance?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #741 on: June 28, 2010, 10:18:54 PM »
Follow up to the Tanarukk question.

Q 189 In the 3.5 update is says "+5/+7; +5ft". What's that about?
The first is the BAB/Grapple entry, which wasn't present in 3.0 stat blocks.  Not sure about the second.
It also says to add fire resistance 10, but it already has fire resistance 15. So does that mean it loses 5 resistance, or does it mean it has 25 resistance?
Its fire resistance is dropped to 10.  Recall that they significantly lowered DR and resistances in 3.5.  For confirmation, look to Races of Faerun, where they are listed as having fire resistance 10 as a racial trait.

Maybe not a simple question, per se, but I doubt it'll garner much debate, and I imagine it has a fairly straightforward answer.

Q 188: Has anyone had any experience battling Tanarukk?  Either as a player or as a DM running them?  How are they as a CR 2 creature?
About the same as a hobgoblin, unless they have the ability to lead off a fight with dazing people in the surprise round due to their racial pyrotechnics ability, and a flame source nearby.
You don't perchance mean a bugbear, do you?  A hobgoblin is CR 1/2.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #742 on: June 28, 2010, 10:24:01 PM »
+5 ft. probably refers to either space, reach, or speed.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #743 on: June 28, 2010, 10:24:29 PM »
Yes, I meant a bugbear. Whichever goblinoid is cr 2 by default.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #744 on: June 28, 2010, 10:33:07 PM »
+5 ft. probably refers to either space, reach, or speed.
I just looked at the entry.  It doesn't say +5 ft.  It says "+5/+7; 5 ft./5 ft"

Ergo, it was just restating its facing and reach; nothing about that changed.

The Sons of Grummsh adventure also has tanarukk stats, and again confirms the fire resistance 10.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:36:59 PM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #745 on: June 28, 2010, 10:54:02 PM »
Q 190 Can someone explain how exactly Razing Strike from Complete Adventurer works if you can't sneak attack Constructs and Undead?

Q 191 Is there a rogue/cleric PrC?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:05:26 PM by kevin_video »

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #746 on: June 28, 2010, 11:08:45 PM »
A 191: Black Flame Zealot, though it only gets 1/2 casting progression.

Also Skullclan Hunter, from Miniatures Handbook, but only insomuch as it requires turning, and allows you to sneak attack undead.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:11:00 PM by ksbsnowowl »

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #747 on: June 28, 2010, 11:09:45 PM »
A190:  You aren't sneak attacking.  You're gaining a bonus on melee attack rolls and bonus damage dice based on the spell level, and more bonus damage based on how much damage your sneak attack would do if you could.  This isn't a sneak attack.

You just expend a spell or spell slot as a swift action, and get these bonuses for one round.  You might have noticed Razing Strike has none of the conditional requirements of sneak attacking.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #748 on: June 28, 2010, 11:11:50 PM »
A190:  You aren't sneak attacking.  You're gaining a bonus on melee attack rolls and bonus damage dice based on the spell level, and more bonus damage based on how much damage your sneak attack would do if you could.  This isn't a sneak attack.

You just expend a spell or spell slot as a swift action, and get these bonuses for one round.  You might have noticed Razing Strike has none of the conditional requirements of sneak attacking.
Yeah it just said Caster lvl 6 and Sneak Attack class ability.

So follow up question then. If you had a +3 weapon, and had the Greater Demolition Crystal or True Death Crystal from MIC, would that stack?

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #749 on: June 28, 2010, 11:12:09 PM »
Q 190 Can someone explain how exactly Razing Strike from Complete Adventurer works if you can't sneak attack Constructs and Undead?
A190
Given the feat's description, I interpret that last bit to be referring to the general application of SA; meaning that the feat doesn't just give you the blanket ability to SA (and can only apply that damage when activating the feat).

For example, there are several feats/abilities that let you apply certain effects when you SA ; I think that what that last sentence in the feat's description is saying is that such effects are still inapplicable even when activating the feat.  To further explicate the example -- activating razing strike still wouldn't let you use staggering strike against golems/undead.

Does that make sense?
  never mind

EDIT:  :ninja'd

You just expend a spell or spell slot as a swift action, and get these bonuses for one round.  You might have noticed Razing Strike has none of the conditional requirements of sneak attacking.
Oh, yeah -- I guess there is that  :facepalm
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:14:12 PM by wotmaniac »

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #750 on: June 28, 2010, 11:13:39 PM »
A190:  You aren't sneak attacking.  You're gaining a bonus on melee attack rolls and bonus damage dice based on the spell level, and more bonus damage based on how much damage your sneak attack would do if you could.  This isn't a sneak attack.

Yeah it just said Caster lvl 6 and Sneak Attack class ability.

So follow up question then. If you had a +3 weapon, and had the Greater Demolition Crystal or True Death Crystal from MIC, would that stack?
I would say so -- it's 2 different types of damage from 2 different sources (even though the damage is determined by how much SA damage you have).

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #751 on: June 28, 2010, 11:15:29 PM »
Yeah, since you're not actually sneak attacking, I don't think any sort of ambush feat would work with razing strike on a SA-immune creature.

Dunno about the weapon crystals, I'm not very familiar with the subject.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #752 on: June 28, 2010, 11:16:57 PM »
Yeah, since you're not actually sneak attacking, I don't think any sort of ambush feat would work with razing strike on a SA-immune creature.

Dunno about the weapon crystals, I'm not very familiar with the subject.
If you have a +3 weapon, and a greater crystal, it enables you to deal Sneak Attack damage (as well as criticals) to a construct or undead, depending on what you have equipped.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #753 on: June 28, 2010, 11:18:38 PM »

Also Skullclan Hunter, from Miniatures Handbook, but only insomuch as it requires turning, and allows you to sneak attack undead.
Another one is Shadowbane Stalker.  +3d6 sneak attack and 8 Caster Level increases in 10 levels.

Q 192:  What good self-contained casting PrC's are there for a Rogue character, other than Assassin? (assume it is for a Good character.)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:24:56 PM by ksbsnowowl »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #754 on: June 28, 2010, 11:22:44 PM »

Another one is Shadowbane Stalker.  +3d6 sneak attack and 8 Caster Level increases in 10 levels.
For a second there I thought that'd be awesome, but you need to be LG.

Glutton

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #755 on: June 28, 2010, 11:29:50 PM »

Another one is Shadowbane Stalker.  +3d6 sneak attack and 8 Caster Level increases in 10 levels.

Q 192:  What good self-contained casting PrC's are there for a Rogue character, other than Assassin? (assume it is for a Good character.)

well how about its good equivalent, the avenger?
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #756 on: June 28, 2010, 11:43:15 PM »
Q 193:  Gestalt game, one half of a character plans to go into Warrior Skald from Races of Faerun (Full BAB, Good Fort and Ref, d6 HD, full Bardic Music abilities, 4 skill points per level, good skill list but no Spot).  What Base Class would be the best pairing for this character, with the goal of counteracting its weak HD, but taking advantage of the Warrior Skald's full BAB?

The best I can think of is Scout, as it ups the HD to a d8, gets more skill points, and loads of class features, "at the expense" of a medium BAB.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #757 on: June 29, 2010, 12:27:11 AM »
Q 193:  Gestalt game, one half of a character plans to go into Warrior Skald from Races of Faerun (Full BAB, Good Fort and Ref, d6 HD, full Bardic Music abilities, 4 skill points per level, good skill list but no Spot).  What Base Class would be the best pairing for this character, with the goal of counteracting its weak HD, but taking advantage of the Warrior Skald's full BAB?

The best I can think of is Scout, as it ups the HD to a d8, gets more skill points, and loads of class features, "at the expense" of a medium BAB.
Marshal from MiniHB has d8, medium BAB -- seems like it would also synergize well.
another option could be to go sorcerer, and take both the "battle sorcerer" and "stalwart sorcerer" variants for d8+2 hp.
both of those are CHA-based, and will give you good Will saves.

psywarrior makes a cool addition to any build.

any/all divine classes have d8 and med BAB

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 12:29:03 AM by wotmaniac »

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #758 on: June 29, 2010, 02:14:12 AM »
A 192: Trapsmith?
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #759 on: June 29, 2010, 02:23:41 AM »
Q194 Whatever happened to that crazy "how to make mjolnir" thread? Is it archived anywhere? I'd like to find a copy of it. It was on the original wotc forums.

Q195 Also, I miss my thread that talked about ranged attack spells, making a cleric into a Warmage, also on the original wotc forums, under the same screenname as here. Is it archived anywhere? Thanks!
BG's other resident furry!