Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Robot Ninja Pirate Edition  (Read 128214 times)

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Robot Ninja Pirate Edition
« Reply #320 on: June 19, 2010, 11:28:47 AM »
A similar problem occurred in my own campaign so I'll bump a question from the last page, I apologize for that.

Q86

My cleric has Wisdom 18 (14 base and +4 Enhancement bonus from Headband).
After long and irritating cherry topping from GM's monsters he received 18 wisdom damage.
Would the +4 enhancement bonus save my character from becoming a "plant" (0 base + 4 enhancement bonus (which the GM cannot remove)) or did the GM had the right to reduce my wisdom to 0 because he argues that a character with 0 wisdom does not get enhancement bonus because the bonus has nothing to be applied to.

After reading the answers (and some of them were conflicting as well) whats the conclusion then?

In short, in this example, a character with 14 base wisdom and 4 enhancement to his wisdom (making it a total of 18) which of these are actually correct?

a) The character takes 14 wisdom damage and drops unconscious because his base wisdom dropped to 0
b) The character takes 14 wisdom damage but still has 4 enhancement so he's up and running
c) The character takes 18 wisdom damage and drops unconscious because it totaled the full wisdom he has including the item
d) The character can only take 14 wisdom damage (which is his base) and the 4 enhancement keep him slaughtering the wisdom damage encounter because his base dropped to 0 already and cant be lowered anymore no matter the extra wisdom damage he "should" take in the next rounds. 

I'm sorry if it was clear from the answers, the (in my opinion) conflicting answers just confused me a bit
C
C is the balanced answer from a gameplay point of view. Technically, it should be D, RAW, but C is the most likely to not have everyone pissed off in the end.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #321 on: June 19, 2010, 11:32:36 AM »
Okay, that should work...
Now for the next question:

Q90: What ways are there to lower a creature's Fortitude save?

that's awfully wide range, care to elaborate?
Spells and items are preferred.
I want to drop a Balor's Fort save as low as possible with an Artificer.
Cost isn't really an issue.
What would be the best ways to do this?
Bumpy?
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #322 on: June 19, 2010, 11:35:32 AM »
Okay, that should work...
Now for the next question:

Q90: What ways are there to lower a creature's Fortitude save?

that's awfully wide range, care to elaborate?
Spells and items are preferred.
I want to drop a Balor's Fort save as low as possible with an Artificer.
Cost isn't really an issue.
What would be the best ways to do this?
Bumpy?
Cursing it, honestly. Granted, that requires a fort save, so...

Aside from that, getting a debuff focused cohort that stacks auras and fear effects to give a massive penalty would work. There was a build on the boards somewhere with a hexblade base that gave every enemy within 10 feet something like a -18 to saves, iirc.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #323 on: June 19, 2010, 12:20:41 PM »
Q96: What's the name of the feat that allows you to use your own ability score modifier to determine the DC of magic items you craft, and where is it located?
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #324 on: June 19, 2010, 12:41:14 PM »
A91: You could do without the Swordsage and just take the Martial Study/Martial Stance feats. Takes a bit longer than dipping though.
If it's just CL you're looking for, not spell level, Spellthief+Master Spellthief works.

Yeah I saw that as another option yesterday when I was researching with my DM and forgot to include in the original post.  Thanks for the reminder.  I was really hoping there might be a class that could grant it, though.  The concept for the build is to maximize the effectiveness of his Arcane Thesis spell.  Spellwarp Sniper lets him convert it to a ray, then apply several metamagics to it (Split Ray, Empower, Twin, etc.).  Any chance there's a better class option?  I'm looking to retain full progression (CL and spells) if possible but I think that may be asking too much.  However, I figured you guys would know if there was something out there that could do it.

FYI, for progression I'm hoping to avoid progressions with different spellcasting (like Spellthief).  Hoping for something with "+1 to existing arcane spellcasting class" for its spell progression.
Master Spellthief lets you add your spellthief CL to your other CL if I'm not mistaken, so you at least retain CL parity.

Yes, my GM suggested that as well.  So am I gathering that there's not something that meets all my needs?  That is, nothing with +1 to existing casting AND sneak attack?
Generic Arcane spellcaster, go with int for skills, select sneak attack over one of your feats, follow up with Arcane Trickster.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Kingpin1623

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #325 on: June 19, 2010, 01:27:44 PM »
A91: You could do without the Swordsage and just take the Martial Study/Martial Stance feats. Takes a bit longer than dipping though.
If it's just CL you're looking for, not spell level, Spellthief+Master Spellthief works.

Yeah I saw that as another option yesterday when I was researching with my DM and forgot to include in the original post.  Thanks for the reminder.  I was really hoping there might be a class that could grant it, though.  The concept for the build is to maximize the effectiveness of his Arcane Thesis spell.  Spellwarp Sniper lets him convert it to a ray, then apply several metamagics to it (Split Ray, Empower, Twin, etc.).  Any chance there's a better class option?  I'm looking to retain full progression (CL and spells) if possible but I think that may be asking too much.  However, I figured you guys would know if there was something out there that could do it.

FYI, for progression I'm hoping to avoid progressions with different spellcasting (like Spellthief).  Hoping for something with "+1 to existing arcane spellcasting class" for its spell progression.
Master Spellthief lets you add your spellthief CL to your other CL if I'm not mistaken, so you at least retain CL parity.

Yes, my GM suggested that as well.  So am I gathering that there's not something that meets all my needs?  That is, nothing with +1 to existing casting AND sneak attack?
Generic Arcane spellcaster, go with int for skills, select sneak attack over one of your feats, follow up with Arcane Trickster.

Looks like that may be as close as I can get.  It does have to sacrifice some spells per day over my existing build, sadly.  I'm guessing there's not an arcane prestige class that grants starter sneak attack and +1 to existing arcane casting?  I've found several that will add to an existing sneak attack but none that grant the ability itself.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #326 on: June 19, 2010, 02:10:53 PM »

Looks like that may be as close as I can get.  It does have to sacrifice some spells per day over my existing build, sadly.  I'm guessing there's not an arcane prestige class that grants starter sneak attack and +1 to existing arcane casting?  I've found several that will add to an existing sneak attack but none that grant the ability itself.
Only other thing I can think of is ACF chain wizard feats to fighter feats to sneak attack, if you DM would allow it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 02:15:09 PM by Sohala »
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

something random

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #327 on: June 19, 2010, 02:41:34 PM »
Q95 (I think): If a swordsage with the adaptive style feat uses it in combat after expending manoeuvres are all his new manoeuvres unexpended?
Am I the only one who's mind was broken when they realized the implication of the existence of the aberration bloodline.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #328 on: June 19, 2010, 02:44:54 PM »
Q95 (I think): If a swordsage with the adaptive style feat uses it in combat after expending manoeuvres are all his new manoeuvres unexpended?
Yes. There's an entry in the FAQ on it. Crusaders also receive a new set of granted maneuvers, as though they had just started combat, as well.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

something random

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #329 on: June 19, 2010, 03:19:11 PM »
Yes. There's an entry in the FAQ on it. Crusaders also receive a new set of granted maneuvers, as though they had just started combat, as well.
where is the faq?
Am I the only one who's mind was broken when they realized the implication of the existence of the aberration bloodline.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #330 on: June 19, 2010, 03:32:10 PM »
where is the faq?
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19525942/Tome_of_Battle_Q38;A
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #331 on: June 19, 2010, 03:32:16 PM »
Q96: What's the name of the feat that allows you to use your own ability score modifier to determine the DC of magic items you craft, and where is it located?
A96
The only thing I can find is Residual Magic from CM.  It's a tactical feat that has 2 uses -- the first one is the relevant use you're looking for (unfortunately, it has 1 caveat):
Quote from: Complete Mage
Prerequisites: Spellcraft 12 ranks, any metamagic feat.
Benefit: The Residual Magic feat allows the use of two
tactical maneuvers.
Enduring Potency: If you cast a spell from your daily allotment of spells, then cast the same spell from a scroll or wand in the next round, you can treat the second casting as if it had come from your daily allotment of spells for the purpose of caster level, save DC, and any other effect of the spell.
For example, if Hennet the 10th-level sorcerer casts magic missile, then activates a wand of magic missile (caster level 5th) in the next round, he can treat the wand's magic missile as if he had cast it (giving him a greater range, number of missiles, and so forth).

Lingering Metamagic: If you cast a spell affected by one or more metamagic feats, and then cast the same spell in the next round, you can apply any one of the metamagic effects from the first casting to the second casting, but without any change to the spell's level. The second spell doesn't count as being affected by a metamagic feat for the purpose of this benefit (that is, it doesn't entitle you to apply the metamagic feat to a spell you might cast in the following round). Only spells you cast using your own metamagic feats (as opposed to metamagic effects from magic items) allow this option to function.
For example, if Hennet uses a 5th-level slot to cast an empowered lightning bolt, in the next round he can use a 3rd level slot to cast another empowered lightning bolt. If the first spell was a silent empowered lightning bolt, he could apply the effect of either Silent Spell or Empower Spell to the second casting of lightning bolt, but not both.

On a related note:  Master Wand from ECS adds +2 to the DC and ECL of any wand you use. (must be a 9th level caster)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #332 on: June 19, 2010, 03:35:55 PM »
A96
The only thing I can find is Residual Magic from CM.  It's a tactical feat that has 2 uses -- the first one is the relevant use you're looking for (unfortunately, it has 1 caveat):
Quote from: Complete Mage
Prerequisites: Spellcraft 12 ranks, any metamagic feat.
Benefit: The Residual Magic feat allows the use of two
tactical maneuvers.
Enduring Potency: If you cast a spell from your daily allotment of spells, then cast the same spell from a scroll or wand in the next round, you can treat the second casting as if it had come from your daily allotment of spells for the purpose of caster level, save DC, and any other effect of the spell.
For example, if Hennet the 10th-level sorcerer casts magic missile, then activates a wand of magic missile (caster level 5th) in the next round, he can treat the wand's magic missile as if he had cast it (giving him a greater range, number of missiles, and so forth).

Lingering Metamagic: If you cast a spell affected by one or more metamagic feats, and then cast the same spell in the next round, you can apply any one of the metamagic effects from the first casting to the second casting, but without any change to the spell's level. The second spell doesn't count as being affected by a metamagic feat for the purpose of this benefit (that is, it doesn't entitle you to apply the metamagic feat to a spell you might cast in the following round). Only spells you cast using your own metamagic feats (as opposed to metamagic effects from magic items) allow this option to function.
For example, if Hennet uses a 5th-level slot to cast an empowered lightning bolt, in the next round he can use a 3rd level slot to cast another empowered lightning bolt. If the first spell was a silent empowered lightning bolt, he could apply the effect of either Silent Spell or Empower Spell to the second casting of lightning bolt, but not both.

On a related note:  Master Wand from ECS adds +2 to the DC and ECL of any wand you use. (must be a 9th level caster)

I know about those two, but they're not what I'm looking for, there's another feat out there.

Thanks anyway :)

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #333 on: June 19, 2010, 03:43:35 PM »
there's another feat out there.
I'm 99% sure it's in ebberon.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #334 on: June 19, 2010, 03:49:47 PM »
Its in the Epic Level Handbook. I don't remember the name but it is in my handbook, I just don't have time to check it.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #335 on: June 19, 2010, 03:52:17 PM »
Found it :D

Enhance Item, ELH p.114 :)

Thanks for the help, guys.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Kingpin1623

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #336 on: June 19, 2010, 03:59:12 PM »
where is the faq?
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19525942/Tome_of_Battle_Q38;A

A word of caution.  The FAQ was NOT written by game developers but was written by Customer Service.  As such, it is NOT considered to supersede any sources.  The problem with the FAQ is that it expressly contradicts some of the source material.  The best example I know is it's explanation of using 2 metamagics on an Arcane Thesis spell.  Their answer expressly contradicts the errata for PHB 2 (which was written by the game developers and thus is considered official source material).

As my DM likes to point out, Customer Service answers are NOT official.  They have as much authority as the . . . oh wait they have zero authority.

Fluffles

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #337 on: June 19, 2010, 04:13:27 PM »
Q97:

How can I get the crit range on a Minotaur Great hammer up? (19-20/x4 crit) All I can think if is making it an impact weapon.

(No BoVD)

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #338 on: June 19, 2010, 04:38:26 PM »
Q97:

How can I get the crit range on a Minotaur Great hammer up? (19-20/x4 crit) All I can think if is making it an impact weapon.

(No BoVD)
Impact is one way (17-20). Imp Crit + Disciple of Dispater (BoVD) if it's made of iron would give you 15-20, but it won't stack with impact.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #339 on: June 19, 2010, 04:38:48 PM »
Q97:

(No BoVD)

A97: If you're not set on bludgeoning damage, get a Kukri (18-20/x2) with Kaorti Resin (makes it x4). The Resin ends up costing 3850*, bringing the total cost of a masterwork kukri made with it to 4158.

*25 x the XP cost, which is half of the masterwork kukri cost (308 -> 154), so 3850.

Also, Weapon Master, Psychic Weapon Master, and Disciple of Dispater are all PrCs that fit the bill for expanding critical threat ranged.

The feat Instinctive Consummator is great for instant confirmation.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]