Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Robot Ninja Pirate Edition  (Read 127795 times)

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Robot Ninja Pirate Edition
« Reply #200 on: June 15, 2010, 06:14:18 PM »
Q52: Is there an armor with a better max dex bonus than Mithril Chain Shirt that isn't Padded armor and is non-exotic?
bondleaf wrap from A&EG has no max dex or penalties; sure, it's only a +1 AC, but that's what enchantment is for (the only real downside is that it takes 24 hours for it to start working for you)

what's wrong with padded?  leafweave and thistledown versions (RotW) gives you a max dex of +9 and +10 -- what's not to like?
Clockwork Armor has no max dexterity bonus and no penalties as long as your proficient with heavy armor. It give +8 AC, +4 circumstance bonus to strength and dexterity, and it increases your base land speed by 5 feet. Though it does have a few problems, see the article for reference.

jolt

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #201 on: June 15, 2010, 06:41:07 PM »
Q26: Would ioun stones also meld along with the rest of your equipment that doesn't have wilding clasps on them when you wildshape?

PHB II says this:
Any gear worn or carried by the target melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional.

My interpretation is that anything you are physically touching being armor, weapons, backpack, rings etc etc melds into the wildshaped form. And ioun stones float a few feet away from you so they might not meld along with the rest.

/Bump
I agree with your interpretation. I too would say no.

I agree with your interpretation. I too would say no.

Seconded

Thanks, I take it there's no real ruling on that matter. So I'll talk to my DM about it and see what he thinks about it.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #202 on: June 15, 2010, 07:25:23 PM »
Q54: Is there a simple way to get a large AoE or multiple-target effect dealing (any positive amount of) damage usable at-will in 3 levels (either 1-3 or 4-6 or some mix of levels between 1 and 6)? For these purposes I am not counting DFA's breath (15' cone) as large, nor am I accepting a 4-feat modification of said breath (Power Surge, Shape Breath, Enlarge Breath, Recovery Breath), which produces a 60' cone but is incredibly feat intensive.
The closest I have found is a persistent spell emanation centered on the caster using sudden widen to get 20' radius... which is nice, but also not really simple.
Warlock has Eldritch Chain, but that can only affect 2 creatures (not totally impressive).
So basically anything with an impressive AoE or multi-target damaging effect that is always active or usable every round. Because I sure can't find anything. @_@
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #203 on: June 15, 2010, 07:35:35 PM »
A54 Psionics with recharge?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #204 on: June 15, 2010, 07:43:01 PM »
A54 Psionics with recharge?

Aside from the infinite PP loops, infinite action loops, etc. how do you go about recharging?

EDIT: Q55: If a spell is modified by the Lingering Spell metamagic and the Fell Drain metamagic -- assuming a spell can inflict multiple negative levels with Fell Drain -- would the damage inflicted as a part of the Lingering Spell effect trigger Fell Drain? (i.e. does the sentence "tendrils of energy persist, dealing 1d6 points of damage ... at the beginning of your next turn to all creatures initially damaged by the spell" change the source of the damage from the spell to the tendrils, or does the spell still deal the damage and thus trigger Fell Drain?)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 09:16:11 PM by Nox_Noctis »
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #205 on: June 15, 2010, 09:23:47 PM »
This may be a little too complex for the scope of this thread, but I don't think it deserves its own thread, so here goes.

Q56:  Assuming alignment is required to be LN (so no barb dip for easy pounce), and psionics, tome stuff, and any significant polymorphing are banned, what's a good way to finish this?

[spoiler]Warforged Dungeoncrasher Fighter 10/Warforged Juggernaut 5/X 5, 28 point buy
Str 28 (17 + 5 levels + 6 enhancement), Dex 12 (8 + 4 enhancement), Con 22 (14 + 2 racial + 6 enhancement), Int 13, Wis 10 (12 -2 racial), Cha 6 (8 -2 racial)
01 DF 1  Adamantine Body, Power AttackB
02 DF 2  
03 DF 3  Improved Bull Rush
04 DF 4  Combat ExpertiseB
05 DF 5  
06 DF 6  Improved Trip
07 WJ 1  Powerful ChargeB
08 WJ 2  
09 WJ 3  Knock-Down
10 WJ 4
11 WJ 5  Greater Powerful ChargeB
12 DF 7  Leap Attack
13 DF 8  Shock TrooperB
14 DF 9  
15 DF 10  Improved Sunder, Combat BruteB
16 ??  ??
17 ??  ??
18 ??  ??
19 ??  ??
20 ??  ??[/spoiler]

Something that can pick up hefty inherent bonuses to ability scores would be nice if possible, DM's not a big fan of manuals/tomes.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 09:26:26 PM by weenog »
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Freshums

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #206 on: June 15, 2010, 09:27:07 PM »
A56

Lawful Neutral and Super Con practically screams Incarnate

Once you overcome the nerve-wracking headache of understanding the Incarnum System.

Rekcuf

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #207 on: June 15, 2010, 09:28:11 PM »
Q57  If you had a Silver Dragon Cohort that was the "Very Young" age category, but was Large sized instead of medium (Using one house feat "pick of the litter" to increase size) how would you build it out?

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #208 on: June 15, 2010, 09:32:30 PM »
Q57  If you had a Silver Dragon Cohort that was the "Very Young" age category, but was Large sized instead of medium (Using one house feat "pick of the litter" to increase size) how would you build it out?

A57: Take a Very Young Silver Dragon and stat it up normally, then go to the back of the Monster Manual and find the changes to stats caused by a size increase.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #209 on: June 15, 2010, 09:39:05 PM »
Q56:  Assuming alignment is required to be LN (so no barb dip for easy pounce), and psionics, tome stuff, and any significant polymorphing are banned, what's a good way to finish this?

Something that can pick up hefty inherent bonuses to ability scores would be nice if possible, DM's not a big fan of manuals/tomes.
If you can rework feats a tad, and if 3.0 material is acceptable, Forsaker from Masters of the Wild might fit.  Since you're a Juggernaut and shunning humanity, shunning magic is only one small step away.

If that won't work, consider Duskblade.  Only ever worry about casting True Strike, since it has a Verbal but no Somatic component your armor won't hinder anything.  Or Duskblade 1 and 4 levels of Dragon Disciple.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Rekcuf

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #210 on: June 15, 2010, 09:51:55 PM »

A57: Take a Very Young Silver Dragon and stat it up normally, then go to the back of the Monster Manual and find the changes to stats caused by a size increase.

Yeah, I got all that.  I more meant what magical items/equipment and feats would you take?
I have 100k gold to spend.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #211 on: June 15, 2010, 09:53:21 PM »
Hmmm... I'd considered a dragon disciple dip, but initially rejected it (wanted to really embrace my construct-ness, and becoming more like a living thing seemed off).  Thinking it over again, though, it's a pretty simple fluff change to rebrand it as simply modifying and adding new parts to improve performance, which seems very much like something a self-determining robot would do.

Not liking the Forsaker much, being a magic item sort of flies in the face of shunning them.  Also, we don't tend to get enough treasure to make destroying it on purpose or losing class features a good idea.

No one at my table's really familiar with MoI, me included, but I do tend to like me some high Con.  I'll have to look into this Incarnate and try to judge whether getting the DM to study and embrace it for future reference is worth the heache.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #212 on: June 15, 2010, 10:43:54 PM »
Hmmm... I'd considered a dragon disciple dip, but initially rejected it (wanted to really embrace my construct-ness, and becoming more like a living thing seemed off).  Thinking it over again, though, it's a pretty simple fluff change to rebrand it as simply modifying and adding new parts to improve performance, which seems very much like something a self-determining robot would do.
Yeah.  You've got a megabuster now.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #213 on: June 15, 2010, 11:42:30 PM »
Q52: Is there an armor with a better max dex bonus than Mithril Chain Shirt that isn't Padded armor and is non-exotic?
bondleaf wrap from A&EG has no max dex or penalties; sure, it's only a +1 AC, but that's what enchantment is for (the only real downside is that it takes 24 hours for it to start working for you)

what's wrong with padded?  leafweave and thistledown versions (RotW) gives you a max dex of +9 and +10 -- what's not to like?

Lol. As someone who posts here often I'm surprised you don't get the not padded reference. Alot of people ask for XXXXX that is not YYYYYY. Not cause YYYYY doesn't work. It's because he wants to see his options. He knows of padded. He wants to know if there is something else.
oh, I get it.  I was just asking a question (curiosity, anyone?).  :ahem

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Truncator

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #214 on: June 16, 2010, 12:13:48 AM »
Q58: The fear handbook seems to imply that when stacking fear you take the the duration of the longest of the two(or more) sources.  I checked the Phb and Dmg and found nothing saying that, could anyone tell me where that rule is?

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #215 on: June 16, 2010, 01:23:45 AM »
Q53: When using an utternace, what benefit is there to using a Personal Truename instead of a generic one?  I haven't been able to find it in Tome of Magic.

Save DC up 2, +2 caster level against spell resistance and DC of the Truespeak check up 2.
you get a +4 bonus on checks to affect yourself too.

Page 233

LargePrime

• Curious George
« Reply #216 on: June 16, 2010, 01:59:10 AM »
A52.B Chahar-aina and Dastana (OA75) have no max dex and add +1 each.  Needs Medium and Light Armor Proficiency respectively.  And stack with padded.  And can be enchanted separately, which can save a TON of cash.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #217 on: June 16, 2010, 12:11:17 PM »
Q59: I've seen a few places around forums where people reccommend a Dull Grey Ioun stone with Continual Flame on it.  This is all well and good, but then they list a price for them.  Where is such a price listed?
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #218 on: June 16, 2010, 01:01:29 PM »
A59 IIRC the 3.0 DMG
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #219 on: June 16, 2010, 01:18:07 PM »

what's wrong with padded?  leafweave and thistledown versions (RotW) gives you a max dex of +9 and +10 -- what's not to like?

Lol. As someone who posts here often I'm surprised you don't get the not padded reference. Alot of people ask for XXXXX that is not YYYYYY. Not cause YYYYY doesn't work. It's because he wants to see his options. He knows of padded. He wants to know if there is something else.
oh, I get it.  I was just asking a question (curiosity, anyone?).  :ahem

It's fine. I jsut get surprised when people ask.