Author Topic: A little challenge.  (Read 1730 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
A little challenge.
« on: June 01, 2010, 12:14:47 AM »
Alright, I'm wondering if the following can be used to make actually useful characters; just to make it difficult, you have to supply how they have such a massive handicap and have to find a way to make this handicap useful (i.e. don't mitigate the problem, use the problem to be awesome.):
A character with a base speed of 5 or less.
A character with at least 1 save that's really, really awful (as in, autofails any saving throw with it)
A character with an armor class of 1
A character with 1 HP... maximum

They don't all have to be on the same character.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Re: A little challenge.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 12:32:23 AM »
AC of 1 is at least really easy to optimize. Since you have almost no chance of being missed anyway, go Ronin, grab Robilar's Gambit and/or Karmic Strike (probably the latter) and go to town with kamikaze rushes.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 12:58:38 AM »
AC of 1 is at least really easy to optimize. Since you have almost no chance of being missed anyway, go Ronin, grab Robilar's Gambit and/or Karmic Strike (probably the latter) and go to town with kamikaze rushes.
Combine with shocktrooper and amulet of retribution to have a negitive AC but any attacks to you deal half damage back to the attacker. Actually stacking a bunch of damage reflecting abilities would make this work well.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 01:08:59 AM »
1 HP would probably be a melee cleric with persistent Delay Death.

For the awful save thing, either an undead/construct (either way, immune to most fort saves) or the idiot crusader (currently on the front page of this forum), getting a concentration check to replace a given save once per round.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 01:25:34 AM »
Well, that's mitigating the problem, not using it to your advantage. Best thing I can think of for a poor save is getting a really shitty Will save on a Frenzied Berserker and using that to calm the bastard down easily.

bearchucks

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Being Batman...with chainsaw bearchucks
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 03:49:34 AM »
Lack of move: Awakened houseplant-in-a-jar wizard or sorcerer.  The reason the handicap is useful is that it makes you appear nonthreatening.  And then you pull something non-obvious and basically never even so much as get noticed because "the plant?  The plant's just rustling in the wind.  It's not casting spells.  Whoever heard of a plant casting spells?" :lmao
http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf  The smallest, shortest, simplest ruleset of any RPG I've ever seen.  If 3.5 is too complex and you don't like 4.0, try this.  It has very few rules and is just short of freeform.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 04:36:18 AM »
A character with a base speed of 5 or less.
Undead hairy spider haunt shifted into a potted plant.  You now have four nonabilities, and can really focus on your charisma and wisdom.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 04:51:57 AM »
this a job for Sandwich man
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 07:55:01 PM »
1 HP would be a Berserker Strength Elf Barb with 6 con (assuming point buy), the quick trait, and feeble flaw (-4 hit points/level). Using average hit points, that's 12+114-80= 46 hit points. Then just take a LOT of grafts. The guy would end up looking like a freakshow.

Add Frenzied Berserker and a bucket of water. Honestly that aren't a lot of ways to capitalize on low hit points, so this is probably as good as you'll get. Combine this with low will save, because you WANT to enter frenzy whenever you take damage...you'll flat-out die on nat 20.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 09:31:03 PM »

How do you get your AC down to 1 while still having a good dex for attacks of opportunity? 

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 09:35:52 PM »
Power attack shocktrooper.

SolEiji

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Summon the Meteor Pony!
    • D&D Wiki.Org
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 09:44:30 PM »
Where is that Nup-Nup build, the armor plated kobold wizard who was utterly utterly useless?

"You see a pile of armor crumpled in front of you, it looks like its having trouble breathing."

Notables I recalled was his inability to cast spells, no BAB to speak of, 0 hp so he was constantly staggered, and not enough Str to move his armor.
Got homebrew?  I keep all my 3.5 homebrew on the D&D Wiki.org!
Current Count: 1333 pages by me and climbing!